Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2 A tanks

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 06:03 PM
Toro1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2 A tanks

alright heres the deal....

I have one of the little lanier Q200 w/ a norvel AME 061 and am having problems finding a tank to use. All the stock 1 oz are to big and just dont fit in the nose of the plane well. What I need is something like a 7/8 oz tank. Do you 1/2 A experts have any suggestions on what to use for a pre fab tank that is available readily, or any other suggestions. I thought about going to a bladder that just expands to hold it in place when I fill it. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
Old 06-19-2005, 06:31 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 1/2 A tanks

Here is one thread on [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1847112/anchors_1847112/mpage_1/key_fuji%252Cfilm/anchor/tm.htm#1847112]Fuji film canister tanks[/link]. If you search on Fuji film, you will find other approaches using the canisters -- all equally good. Several have used the small bubble bottles given away at weddings and parties, but these may be a little small.

Both Larry Driskill and Combatpigg have extensive experience on the use of bladder tanks -- which might be better used in your application. I believe Tim Wiltse has used a non-pressurized bladder on some of his planes.

In any event, there are several better alternatives to commercial tanks.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:18 PM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

The early Micro-Flite bladder tanks for their TD .010 were a bit too large for .010 but looked ideal for .020 or even .049. Picture shows their engine along with the early style tank. I know there's "some" controversy about MF but to be fair, the tank is VERY well made and held up well to 40% fuel. I will admit that I haven't flown the tank yet.

What I've been doing for several years though, is to browse the pharmacy for small bottles of shampoo, hand lotion and stuff. These will have a neck not suited to anything useful but what I do is hog the neck off crudely with an Exacto and then, with a Dremel drum sander, finish off the neck BY HAND. Don't even think about powering it at 27,000 rpm.

The Dremel sander gives you a just right, snug fit for the common rubber stopper. No front or back plate is required. Then I use the brass tubing and such but I have a small supply of small silicone tubing and I can turn down small clunks to suit. The tubing IS a rather snug fit on the 1/8" tubing but it works well enough. The pickup will be through the center, screw hole. It may be a little loose so I usually solder a bit of larger size tubing in the middle to give the stopper more "purchase". Or, I make a custom made center tube on my lathe. This gives you a better and more balanced location for pickup as in the Fuji film tank by Andrew.

In retrospect, Andrew's solution is the better one as no brass tubing is required and that allows for more flexibility within the system. My problem is that I'm forever building planes that require flat, or odd shapes.

If I'm not mixing them up, I think that the Cox Dragonfly engine had a clunk tank and the tubing and clunks were ideal. I got a small supply from Cox many years ago and they may still have some. Get ahold of Cliff Cotton at Cox.

Then there are the tank designs by Milton Dickey as published in Flying Models last year. Sorry, I don't know the issue.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56518.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	288037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51385.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	288038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85302.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	288039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77497.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	288040  
Old 06-22-2005, 07:34 PM
WMB

I just got that combo through the auction site not long ago. My plans show a sullivan 1 oz round tank. Would the norvel tank/mount work?
Mike
Old 06-22-2005, 08:03 PM
jessiej

I have often made tanks fron thin sheet tin or brass, sized to fit.

jess
Old 06-23-2005, 10:23 AM
AndyW

Mike,

My experience with tank mounts where the engine is mounted far ahead of the firewall, is that no matter how much they beef up the lugs, the engine sees too much vibration for my liking.

Jessie,

That works as well. Do you install a baffle near the pickup?
Old 06-23-2005, 10:39 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Mike, Norvel has two tank mounts. The extended tank is about 1oz and is a clunk tank. Vibration is not a problem on that one, installation is!
Old 06-23-2005, 03:20 PM
jessiej

[quote]ORIGINAL: 1705493-AndyW

Jessie,

That works as well. Do you install a baffle near the pickup?/quote]

Generally not with 1/2a tanks. With larger tanks I have used baffles in a number of locations/orientations. They seem to work, and a variety of configurations seem to work about as well.

jess