Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

LaStick PDF/Littlest Stick Variant

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

LaStick PDF/Littlest Stick Variant

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 08:51 AM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LaStick PDF/Littlest Stick Variant

Hey All,
I have posted a PDF version of my old CAD plan of the Ace LS.
It has been extensively re-worked by Gene Rock. My old CAD version
showed optional reduced wing incidence, optional zero degrees
of right thrust and added elevator and wing area. Genes goes much further
and shows optional ailerons, modern equipment, "Stick" type fin,
better airfoil, lengthened tail, etc. I'll let him chime in with all the modifications
if someone want to know about them all.
Anyway, it's here:
www.pclink.com/~dfritzke/lastick.pdf
Print pages 1-2 & 3 "portrait", and pages 4 & 5 "landscape".
Dave
[link=http://www.pclink.com/~dfritzke/lastick.pdf]LaStick PDF plan[/link]
Old 06-21-2005, 09:11 AM
ProBroJoe

Default RE: LaStick PDF/Littlest Stick Variant

Oh yea... NOW you post this.....

(Looks real nice, thanks for making it available.)

-Joe
Old 06-21-2005, 10:33 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Hmmm,

I guess I could use a third LS cuz I don't have one with ailerons. Thin the fuse a little as Joe did. Then maybe a twin, followed by one on floats...

Nooo somebody stop me!

Seriously, thanks for sharing - and I really have been thinking about building a wing with ailerons.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:20 PM
g-rock

Hi

For those that are interested, the airfoil was reduced to 15% thickness and the max thickness point was moved aft to 30% of the chord. I believe the original max thickness was at about 25%. These changes should improve the wing’s performance based on my experience.

The wing angle on incidence was reduced but is still not zero for most modelers will be building it as a rudder and elevator machine. The dihedral was not changed.

The fuselage depth was increased by 1/8” for those who want to add ailerons. The width remains the same. The hatch for the battery access was removed for it is an opening for oil. Removing the wing can access the batteries.

As Dave mentioned, the length of the fuselage was increased so as to have similar moment arms to the original Ugly Stick. The area of the vertical fin and rudder were also increased.

Gene
Old 06-26-2005, 10:22 AM
ProBroJoe

Gene, Dave, et al, has anyone built and flown one of the LaSticks? Just curious to see and hear how they turned out....

-Joe
Old 06-26-2005, 02:51 PM
g-rock

Joe,
I haven't built one yet but some of the suggestions both for the LS150 and the LS have been incorporated into the design. Example: The wing includes the extra bay that Dave had in his DXF file for the LS and the tail vertical area has been increased. It should perform as well or better then the original LS. I am not sure, but Dave may be building one and may post pictures at his site. The changes to the airfoil are to improve it's CL/CD. It's not my airfoil of choice for a 1 or 2 channel machine but it is vary close to the original. The design is an attempt to not infringe on copyrights but still enjoy the flight characteristics of the original LS.
Gene
Old 06-26-2005, 09:04 PM
BMX invasion

Thats gonna be pretty docile stick like a trainer. Just my opinion, kill the down thrust and lose the landing gear. On a plane that size with a .010 the weight and drag will kill its performance. It weight is so low that you can very easily just belly land it and never break a prop. I am saying this because I have a stick I designed and it has no LG no dihedral and no down thrust. Best dang micro plane I ever flown (only ailerons and elevator mini pylon racer and slow flyer) not really a trainer but an crazy aerobatic but not 3D plane. It has 110sq in of wing and is only 4.55oz it'll glide like 500ft from only 50ft on a dead stick landing (cg is a little further back when it's out of fuel) and the wing is just a cut down gws pico stick wing cambered also. I am going to build another one that is lighter and a fully symmetrical built up balsa wing. By all means if you want it to be a docile stick and more of a trainer than acrobat keep the dihedral but lose the landing gear WEIGHT and DRAG will kill a plane that small or make it a tail dragger please!!!!. No dihedral means you can lose the rudder control and use ailerons instead.
Later Zach
Old 06-27-2005, 03:04 AM
g-rock

Zach

Your comments are very valid, and thank you! I don’t believe that I have ever scratch-build a model without changing something. We all do it. I strongly encourage anyone to make whatever changes they think is best for them once they understand the basics.

I still use landing gears on small models but they are rubber band mounted so that they will give or come loose if necessary upon landing, like Ken Willard tail dragger designs.

What has not been made clear is that the little Stick was removed from Dave’s site do to potential copyright infringements. The LS and the 150LS have been very popular here at RCU. The LaStick is an attempt to honor the late Fred Reese without infringing. This also means that we followed the original design as close as possible so that others can continue to enjoy what he enjoyed.

Gene
Old 06-27-2005, 06:33 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nicely done Gene. Thanks for posting it Dave, and I'm glad to see your site back up.