Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Help me identify these engines

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Help me identify these engines

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 02:48 PM
Jbolt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me identify these engines

I bought a box of engines at a garage sale for $5 but I'm not sure exactly what I bought except for the top right which I'm pretty sure is a Norvel out of an LMH.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71845.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	287913  
Old 06-21-2005, 02:54 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Help me identify these engines

front row left to right:

AP .09

norvel revlite

cox TD .049

cox queen bee .07something displacement

your right about the lite machines engine and the fan looks like a kress unit with a TD .09

dave
Old 06-21-2005, 02:57 PM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

top one is a tee dee ducted fan unit Ive never seen before..left to right looks like Wasp/AP ,061 then a Norvel .074,,then a tee dee .049 and a queen bee,074 top right is an .074 out of the LMh as you said...Rog
Old 06-21-2005, 03:18 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If the QUEENBEE wasn't in there, the seller could have got $10 for the whole works!
Old 06-21-2005, 03:37 PM
rrragmanliam

FIVE FRIGGIN BUCKS? Did you say FIVE FRIGGIN BUCKS. Good for you, you lucky dog. Man I'm wating for a garage sale like that all I've been able to find is used tupperware. Put the queen bee on ebay it's a pice of crap. Somone will buy it for 30 to 50 dollars and you will have really made out.

Darren
Old 06-21-2005, 04:11 PM
ZAGNUT

the fan should also bring quite a bit on ebay if you have no use for it.

the norvel (at least the plane version) needs a bolt on muffler in order to be .074's and the AP .061 would have a norvel like detachable cylinder so it's either the .09 or maybe the .15

dave
Old 06-21-2005, 04:15 PM
Jbolt

Thanks for the reply’s

I take it the queen bee wasn’t a very good performer? Okay since I have no experience with any of these engines I have some questions.

1. The TDs (.049 & .09) what are these good for? I can’t possibly see the .09 having enough power for the fan unit as heavy as it seems.
2. Queen Bee sounds like it was a bust. Is this more of a collectors item? Funny thing is this one looks like it has been run the most.
3. AP .09 (has a 9 on the side) I’ve never heard of these. Any good?
4. The Norvel .061 looks the most promising. How do I tell if it is an AME or BigMig? From Norvels web site it doesn’t look like there is much difference, is there?
5. The Norvel out of the LMH. Is this worth bothering with? Looks like it has a throttled muffler.

I’ve never built a little plane and I like the little sticks that are being discussed right now. Would the Norvel .061 work for one of those?
Old 06-21-2005, 06:01 PM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

What was it someone said about the Queen Bee? The weight of a .10 coupled with the power of an .049. What's not to love?

If you list the LMH Norvel, the Queen Bee, and the Kress fan unit on Ebay, I'd say you probably come out on the positive side of $100 just for those.

The others are keepers if you want to get into 1/2a. I had a Norvel .061 on a 150% littlest stick and it was some kinda rocket.

I never find anything good in the garage sales around here. I can't believe you only paid $5 for all of that. My advice is you should buy lotto tickets for the next few weeks with that kind of luck.

Duke
Old 06-21-2005, 06:15 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

ORIGINAL: Jbolt

I bought a box of engines at a garage sale for $5 but I'm not sure exactly what I bought except for the top right which I'm pretty sure is a Norvel out of an LMH.
The fan unit is a Kress RK709. It's a pretty bad unit. Built two of those.
I would ebay each item individually, you should get a pretty fair amount of money for all this.
The AP 09 is a lousy engine, the heli engine cannot really be converted, the TeeDees are a headache, the Queen Bee is a bit of a dog.
The plain norvel is a fine engine, though, keep that one!
Nice score, good on you!
Old 06-21-2005, 07:33 PM
Jim Thomerson

The TD 09 is a gonzo engine for something from the early '60's. It is really a small light 15 rather than a big heavy 049. Aeromodeller review, May, 1963 says .235 BHP at 19,000 on 30% nitro fuel. I'm getting around 15,500 with a Cox 7 x 3.5 on 10% nitro fuel. One problem with the Cox engines is that the top of the rod is a ball-and-socket with the piston and the piston cup needs to be reset from time to time or the rod ends up coming out the top of the piston.

Jim
Old 06-21-2005, 08:32 PM
Jbolt

Just to give credit where credit is due it was my wife that came across the box of engines. She was looking at a saddle and spotted the engines. I avoid garage sales like the plague. I have enough of my own crap thank you very much. I don’t need someone else’s.

A few years back I decided it was time to reorganize the garage so I hauled everything that wasn’t bolted down out onto the driveway. Not more than a half hour had gone by and someone was rummaging through my stuff wanting to know “how much”

Back to the Norvel, what “Stick” plans would be suitable? I think I have a couple of GWS receivers and some HS55 servos some where.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:38 PM
AndyW

Jay,

Here I go again about throttling but if your Norvel .061 is the Big Mig, it'll throttle much better than the AME version. How can you tell? The Big Mig has five bypass, or transfer ports. Take the head off and look inside.

The TD .09, as Jim says IS a honker. [X(] Maybe not for that fan unit but a great engine, lots of power to its weight. Regarding both it and the TD .049, be sure to use an all castor based fuel. That ball socket CRAVES castor and that's why Cox fuel is all castor.

If you don't need the LM engine I could put it to good use. Actually, all I need is the piston and cylinder assy.