Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

no throttle

Old 10-11-2002, 10:52 PM
matthewn7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no throttle

I was looking for 1/2A models and wondered across a plane that took a non throttled .020 and was wondering how you would land with no throttle. I have only flown with a throttle.
Old 10-12-2002, 12:13 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default no throttle

You simply wait untill the tank runs dry and glide er' in!

I flew all my small planes like that, before I fitted throttles to my TD051 and VA 049.

Now of course you can buy 1/2A's with throttles.

If its a cox 020, you may be able to find a throttle sleeve for it, or a used engine with it on.

Andrew
Old 10-12-2002, 12:33 AM
puffmaru-RCU

Default no throttle

Hi there!
First of all, a .020 engine is not 1/2A, but it is 1/4A. Flying with no throttle means that you fly until the fuel is exausted and the engine stops. Then you glide down to a landing, with no power. This is not as bad as it might seem at first glance. It teaches power management, flight energy management, and advanced planning. All these skillls are valuable later on with larger planes/engines that do have throttles, but that occasionaly "flame out" unexpectedly. Your "dead stick" experience will help bring these planes home in one piece.
Puff
Old 12-13-2002, 12:52 PM
BalsaBum

Default no throttle

Try using a hard line pickup in the tank, when you want to land just roll inverted and the engine will starve & die shortly.
Old 12-13-2002, 07:44 PM
troytday
My Feedback: (1)

Default H.O.B 1/2A STEALTH SPORT.

Here is a great flier. I have a House Of Balsa 1/2A Stealth Sport with a Cox Golden Bee .049 un-throttled on it. The plane is really amazing and can stunt pretty well. It will fly fast or slow depending on the setup. They do come back to the earth pretty slow when the fuel runs out if flown suicide style. Give this plane a build and a fly, you will never regret this great little flier. I have more fun with this plane than all my others.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:24 PM
ZB50

Default no throttle

Yep! no throttle flying is good experience.
I took up my Q-Tee for the first time today.
It flew great. It was a little windy but when I brought her in (dead stick), she settled down just in front of me. My last several projects were made without gear. I have found this helps me to fly in smaller areas.
Attached is a photo my Q-Tee. Norvel startup .061 and hitec HS81's. 270 nimh battery and supreme 8 reciever. I had a TT 7/5.5 prop on it.

Jimmy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	40836_455.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	19195