Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

house of balsa

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2002, 02:45 AM
matthewn7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default house of balsa

Has anyone ever built the H.O.B 1/12 Chipmunk or the 1/12 Bonanza. If so then how does it fly, building, engine, looks, and with the bonanza how about v-tail mixing.
Old 10-16-2002, 01:51 AM
beenie
My Feedback: (9)

Default house of balsa

I have built the V35. It was a fairly easy plane to build and rig, but certantly not for beginners. Both planes are built in the same manner from many of the same parts. The wings are the same, as is much of the sheet fuse. The top of both planes is a molded plastic piece that is the canopy and the aft section of the Chipmunk and the cabin for the V35. Mine is covered in Ultracote and has a Norvel .061 with Feather rx, 3 CS21's and a CS10. The V-tail mixing is handled by my Hitec Prisim Tx, but a small onboard mixer would also work. The finished weight for mine was 22oz dry, 23.5 ready to fly. It looks like just like a little Bonanza, but it looks too good for me to fly it. I have had it completed for about 5 months and have not worked up the courage to fly it. One word for the building, if you do not like to carve and sand, these planes are not for you. There are 15 or so blocks tht need to be carved. The wing loading is in a good range, but I just cant seem to fly it. It really is nice to build if you have a bit of experience.
Old 10-18-2002, 05:04 AM
LoneRanger
My Feedback: (1)

Default house of balsa

Beenie, I would love to see some pics of your plane and some electric interrior shots if possible? Aileron set up, v-tail stuff, etc....
I am building one the middle of next week, and would love any idea's or building advice you can give!

L.R.
Old 10-18-2002, 05:55 PM
beenie
My Feedback: (9)

Default house of balsa

Loneranger,
I don't have any pictures with me, but I have a few that I can post either tonight or this weekend. The V-tail is very easy, it is just like rigging a regular tail, there are just 2 instead of 3 pieces. I have wire pushrods that connect to Du bro 1/2 a horns on the ruddervators. Then each ruddervator has its own CS21 that is mixed in my Tx. However, they can be hooked up just like elevators, but you lose the rudder function. Since most r/c pilots only use the rudder for ground steering, this isn't usually a problem. But either way works. The ailerons are just torque rods stuck in tubes that are in the front of the trailing edge stock. There is one servo in the center section to actuate them. Pretty conventional. When you get the kit tell me and I will give you some ideas on weight reduction.
Old 10-18-2002, 10:00 PM
LoneRanger
My Feedback: (1)

Default house of balsa

post the pics when ya can!

thanks-

L.R.