Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Too ugly?

Old 06-29-2005, 11:47 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too ugly?

I'm finally finishing up two renditions of the Ace constant chord wings and have added a fuselage to the plans. Almost Cessna styling. Well, the tail anyway. Is it gonna be too ugly? I'm having a hard time visualizing it.

BTW, it's just a quicky while the other suggestions are worked out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40277.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	291712  
Old 06-29-2005, 12:22 PM
flyswatter

Default RE: Too ugly?

pt-

"Almost Cessna styling..."? Man, they are going to come after you for patten infringement!![X(]
Old 06-29-2005, 12:24 PM
flyswatter

By the way, what does the horizontal stab and elevator look like? More Cessna styling?
Old 06-29-2005, 12:26 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Beyond ugly.....ooogly. Actually, If you put a slanted windshield in front and did it up with side windows and markings, then it should look like a regular passenger plane. So those wing panels need a home..... One of the best uses of the ACE constant chord wings was the GLH! Have you ever flown one? That design was so fast, it could blow the cylinder off a TD in a full power dive. With todays' equipment and techniques, a better one than ACEs'could be built. It is one of my top 5 favorite kit built planes. If I remember, they had you glue a strip of balsa to the LE and sand it to a point, and I think they asked you to recontour the underside to make the wing more symetrical. I have always intended to replace that plane, it was the only high performance 1/2A plane at the time. [that I knew of] that didn't eat up S133 servos, maybe because it had short chord control surfaces, but also because the foam dampens vibration. Back when glow plugs were more like $4 each, I'll bet I went through $200 worth flying that thing!

If you decide to build a GLH, [ instead of this hideously ugly trainer] and do the research to come up with a faithfull reproduction, that will be great! Then I won't have to, I'll just hit the "send" button when you get through with all the dirty work[8D]!
Old 06-29-2005, 12:27 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have always like ugly planes. they fly well and if they crash, I am not mad about it.

No it looks like a typical trainer layout. Needs gear and a horizontal shape to get a better idea.

Dru.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:59 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Kinda boxy...
Old 06-29-2005, 01:05 PM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

call it the Volvo... just make sure it's real safe.

Brian
Old 06-29-2005, 01:08 PM
cwrr5

LOL!

At least you have a name for it now!
Old 06-29-2005, 01:32 PM
combatpigg

Hmm, ugly cars, CITROEN, SAAB, VOLGA, STUDEBAKER, KAISER [HENRY J], EDSEL, PEUGOT. Isn't CITROEN french for LEMON? I was drawing better looking cars than these [on my desk at school ] when I was 7. The VWs don't usually get lumped in with most ugly discussions because it is obvious what their design intentions were, but those old CITROENS really were a pathetic attempt to be stylish and avant garde.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:42 PM
ptulmer

CP, who in the world said I was going to build this thing! It just seemed like a good addition to the plan library. A surestart, some positive incidence, and a little downthrust may turn this into a neat little trainer.
That GLH sounds like it was a real PITA to build. A built-up wing may solve that though. I'm not real big on reproducing someone else's work. No real challenge there.
Now, coming up with something that can whoop a GLH sounds interesting. I might have to look it up and see if it's a worthy project. What engine do you want to use? There is an airfoil that I've been wanting to try. It's designed for pylon type setups with high speed and tight turns being the goal. I wonder how it would work on a really hot 1/2a... Interested in that?

The rest of you comedians will be forced to build this (f)ugly thing. Any changes you'd like to see before I finish it up?
Old 06-29-2005, 02:00 PM
combatpigg

I would build a sheet wing GLH. The plane looks pretty cool in the air, along with a 28,000 rpm sound, it was a real attention getter. A couple of guys thought it looked like an F 86 from a distance. For that matter, how about a sheet winged F86? It would be more complex with that raised tail group than a GLH. The GLH is most likely going to become a forgotten design, so I don't see why it couldn't be resurrected with a slight change. If I remember right, the ACE foam was very easy to modify, because of the density it sanded well. It ended up being my first fast plane way back when, so nowadays that 1" thick wing might not seem so fast, but it would make a great club racer / sport flyer design. Way more hassle to build though, than a sheet racer that has about 10 pieces of wood in the whole thing. I would size it for the back plate mounted FORA, which needs a 1.125" circle firewall, pretty much like a DAVE BROWN mounted 1/2A engine.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:31 PM
cwrr5

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

<snip>
The rest of you comedians will be forced to build this (f)ugly thing. Any changes you'd like to see before I finish it up?
Ok - sounds like a deal - after October. That should give you plenty of time to finish the plans...? My order from COX came in...

Hehehe! Maybe call it Farfuglynuven?
Old 06-29-2005, 02:45 PM
combatpigg

The only design consideration for the high winger that I can think of is being able to reach down into the radio compartment to hook things up, make sure it isn't too small, or it will be like working with a ship in a bottle.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:46 PM
ptulmer

Dude, this thing will most likely be finished by tomorrow! It's killing me though. There may be a "prettiest" contest with a nice prize. Just so I can sleep at night.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:39 PM
cwrr5

Cool! Then it gives me plenty of time to "study" the plans before I get back!

Seriously, are you selling the plans, or just putting them out there? Any plans for a kit?

The only design consideration for the high winger that I can think of is being able to reach down into the radio compartment to hook things up, make sure it isn't too small, or it will be like working with a ship in a bottle.
Depends on the size of your hands...
Old 06-29-2005, 03:45 PM
ptulmer

They'll be free. I'm starting to change the final product to jpeg format for easier printing. No plans for a kit or getting my tongue pierced. They would be about the same amount of fun.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:48 PM
cwrr5

Roger that.

I never have understood the whole piercing thing... I do enough of that by accident to even consider doing it on purpose. [:'(]

I wonder if I could ship enough stuff over here to build one... I'd have to go electric though, no glo allowed here. Got a B.O.M?
Old 06-29-2005, 06:35 PM
flyswatter

pt-

This is suppose to be fun. If you are going to design models, then you have a right to at least pick subjects you like. Why not get in cahoots with cp and design a sheet wing GLH for a product engine? From what cp says, it has big speed and is a quick build; man, it sounds like it has everything. Now, that sounds like fun!
Old 06-29-2005, 08:48 PM
ptulmer

cwrr5, I'll put together a materials list when the plan is finished. You military? Out of the country?

Flyswatter, If you want big speed, I'll print you a killer buzz plan or loan you a copy of CP's annihilator. Now if you've got the itch to do a one-off, the sheet wing style is a great way to do it. This particular airplane is killing me because I know it could be made to look nice. I just can't seem to visualize it. I'm going to draw up the formers next and start seeing how this thing can use some triangle stock to get more rounded. You know, more Cessna-like.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:23 AM
keepiru1

I can't help with the triangle stock but maybe this will help the visualizations?

Name:	Xv65059.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	292009  
Old 06-30-2005, 09:12 AM
cwrr5

PT,
Yep. Another all-expense paid vacation to the desert. [8D]

Working on an foamie electric UCD3D so at least I have something over here this time to fly, but still waiting for the "guts" to get shipped. <sigh>
I did a little surfing looking at materials & tools... I think I'll wait until I get home to build your design. How about a rounded fuselage cross-section, with just a few stringers, maybe thinly sheeted? Too many "box" planes out there - making a "box" is too easy.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:36 AM
ptulmer

The triangle stock is an easy way to make a rounded fuse. Stringers bring a high level of difficulty that we may be able to avoid. I will certainly keep it in mind though.
TOOLS? Man, all I use is an Exacto knife and a sanding block! That's a lie, my razor plane is indispensable.

Keepiru, close, here's a look at a Cessna 150. While I'm not going to try to make it scale, this is the inspiration.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:37 AM
cwrr5

hehehe... you can never have enough tools! Still considering building over here, just not too excited about spending the $$$ and waiting, and waiting, and waiting.... [&o]

The triangle stock is an easy way to make a rounded fuse
But adds significant weight(and sanding! [:'(] ). What I was thinking was maybe a top and a side stringer(maybe 1/8" +or- ), sheeted with some 1/32 or even light 1/16... probably flat sheet bottom, nobody (hopefully) is gonna see the belly anyway. c150's are very round - a rounded box just doesn't seem fitting IMHO. Anyway, it's your design, these are just my thoughts.

I'm gonna build one anyway, boxy or not. Anxiously awaiting the plans.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:50 AM
cwrr5

BTW - I still like the "buzz bomb" idea... I'm filing that one away for later.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:32 PM
ptulmer

Look at this. I think the triangle stock should be perfect. Sanding is way easier than sheeting a compound curved surface...

Name:	Kh17612.gif
Views:	9
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	292085  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.