Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

New website going up!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

New website going up!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 07:28 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New website going up!

All the past links to plans here in the forum are broken now. I've made alot of changes, including making the plans jpg files now. This is still a work in progress. No browser testing has been done yet, so if it doesn't look right yet, please be patient.

www.ulmer-rc.com

I need to rewrite alot of the text. That was done at midnight last night. And there are several more plans to add. The page you see will eventually become the download or plans page.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:02 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: New website going up!

Thanks for the work and plans -- there are more plums to be found on the forum than in an orchard.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:18 AM
vtwinguy
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks for the effort, It looks real good so far. A real plus was finding somewhere to get the Ace foam wings, I have been looking all over the place without any luck until I checked you new site!!
Old 07-08-2005, 08:21 AM
layback2
My Feedback: (12)

COOLLLLLLLLLL Ptulmer Iam not much of a stick builder but i love them UGLYS so will have to at leace give it a try if i can find the balsa everthing i get out here is orderd
Old 07-08-2005, 08:39 AM
ptulmer

Layback2, I order balsa from BalsaUSA. They always send good wood. Most of it is very light and a good selection of grains.

Vtwinguy, just wait till you get a set in! They weigh about half of the originals! Thunder Tiger has done a good job with Ace.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:36 AM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

That's a pretty impressive line up! Basing quick build designs on ACE wings should appeal to lots of folks. There are lots of ways to configure those ACE wings, even with different shaped ailerons to get a certain look. I would like to try a quick build foamie for 1/2A combat sometime, in the past I put that idea on the shelf because I figured that the ACE wings were too heavy..
Old 07-08-2005, 11:21 AM
ptulmer

CP, the only issue I've had with making a combat wing is inexperience. If you decide to give it a shot, I'd like to make one with you. I've got a set of the constant chord and two tapered wings left.

BTW, Hotfoot plans and the plans for built-up Ace wings should be coming up soon.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:25 PM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

There isn't much design work to consider with a constant chord elevon controlled ship. I like to have generous sized elevons, 1.25" - 1.5" chord flaps on a typical 1/2A wing. The prop should end up about 4 - 5" from the L.E., and a 1 oz or 2 oz tank can be placed on the opposite side of the mount from the engine. The engine mount can be done like C/L combat planes, where you have a 11/16" tall center block imbedded in the front center of the wing, and have your engine [and in this case fuel tank] already installed on aluminum rails. This way you have a power pod that is only built once, and it can be swapped from plane to plane. A single 2-56 threaded rod and lock nuts to secure the aluminum rails to the center block is all you need for attachment, and it will swing in a crash. The center block can be reenforced inside the wing with a cross drilled dowel that extends 6" into each wing panel from center. The winglets don't have to be very big, and the wing only needs to be thick enough to stuff a battery and RX into. 36" of span with a chord of 7" to 8" has worked well for me. Any airfoil will work, the ACE wings should be a slam dunk. I would glue them together, and rip saw a groove for a piece of hard balsa to slide into, to act as a near full depth spar. 1/8" flaps hinged to a balsa trailing edge, and cover the whole thing with rows of 2" wide clear tape. A side mounted engine keeps the majority of the mess away from the cutouts on top of the plane, and a piece of file folder paper that has been covered with tape makes a nice access hatch cover. I use a single brass [cup holder] "L" screw to secure the hatch.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:22 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Lookin good! Did you get the "too ugly" thingy finished and named yet?
Old 07-08-2005, 03:32 PM
ptulmer

Plans are complete, but need a tiny bit more massaging before posting. Maybe tonight it'll join the lineup.
Name choices so far:

Cessnaesque
150ish

Old 07-09-2005, 09:53 PM
flyswatter

pt:

Good job!! You can be surprising sometimes and here we all thought you were just another pretty face!
Old 07-11-2005, 10:40 PM
ptulmer

The DNU! and Killer Buzz now have pdf's included in the zip file. I've also worked to reduce file size. Including the pdf they are still smaller than they were!