Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Beam mount Surestart

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Beam mount Surestart

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 02:50 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Beam mount Surestart

Rick, I'm sitting here assembling mine right now! Got it this morning. So for the report that I have is beautiful machine work. How did you hold the reed in place? Ring clip? (e-clip or the like)
Old 07-30-2005, 07:16 PM
Rick W
My Feedback: (20)

Hello Pat,

We used an e-clip we made from a paperclip, brothers idea and it worked great. I lost the one we had from Cox. Used part of a a floppy disc for a reed.

We made a simple mod. to the venturi that gave us about 400 RPM more. I'll get one to you. We ran the engine with the new venturi and he held a steady 16.200 on the tach. This is with all stock Surestart parts, except for the clip and floppy, Sig 25 % nitro and caster on a Cox 5-3 black.

We're going to make one more change to the venturi and see what develops. If this new one works we'll get it out your way. This will more than likely be the end to this project. We're going to run a few cases off but we're not sure what we'll do with them at this time.

Our next project looks like a rear rotor set up for the case.

We tryed several other pistons and sleves, heads and anything else we could think of and they all ran nice with the case. We ran the tar out of the case and had no problems to speak of, oillite front bushing appeard to work as designed.

Pat send an e-mail when you get it going and let me know what ya think.

So on to other projects as time permitts.

Thanks all,

Rick
Old 07-30-2005, 10:32 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Rick, I opened an old product engine (not surestart) and it had a clip and the reed looked kinda like a squared off iron cross. I'm going to try both style reeds and see if there's a difference. This one sure looks like it'll flow better than the surestart style. Pictures coming soon! Engine is ready to run!