Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

NW COMBAT REPORT

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 12:14 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default NW COMBAT REPORT

1/2A combat was flown again, today, and on a very high level in ARLINGTON WA. at our private combat field and high speed plane proving grounds. SR77 showed up with a MKII version of his PITBULL and it is a HOLY TERROR now! We started the day off slow, and I mean SLOW with .15 powered DIESELBAT and then moved up to 1/2A later in the day when the stench of the diesel and all around filthyness became too much to bear. I think the 1/2A planes looked like they were doing about 90 after flying the DBAT junk! Our flying site is about 2 miles east of exit 206 [SMOKEY PT.] so if there are any interested lurkers out there who would like to trade streamers, get in touch. SR77 was picking me clean all day, I think he has graduated past the fresh meat stage, and is a seasoned, grizzzled veteran now. He butchered his finger a little bit today, but I gave him a couple percosets and a PBR and he was good to go. I was just getting settled into my recliner after launching a 1/2A job, and just as I looked up, it was going straight in. I said, What the...? Upon closer inspection, the reason was obvoius for the vertical landing, it was missing the engine and the engine mount too. AP .061[&o]. SR77 took a bite out of one elevon on another flight and I had fun flying with 1.5 elevons. Other than that, there weren't any casualties after a few solid hours of pure combat. The photo looks like I came home with nothing but junk, but those planes actually are ready for another day.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95174.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	295470  
Old 07-10-2005, 11:45 AM
scudrunner77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NW COMBAT REPORT

You summed it up pretty good CP, but hey just cause I picked you clean does not mean you have to tell everyone I got my finger in a prop[>:] haa haa.. looks like fish gills. Can't have combat without spilling blood I guess. No seriously, I think we really walked away with a pretty equal # of kills. Those diesels were fun... just different. The slower speed did not seem as exciting, but it gave you more time to place the plane where you wanted it and think ahead a little more. They were a good warm up. As always just too much fun!
Old 07-10-2005, 12:52 PM
combatpigg

With the ARLINGTON EAA air show in the background, there was never a dull moment. For our next combat match up, I hope to have a couple of foam flying wings ready for 1/2A. Covered with clear 2 inch wide tape. Do you think depron would work for the elevons and tip fins?
Old 07-10-2005, 02:35 PM
scudrunner77

Are these going to be converted CL wings? I went and cut a 18" by 1.5" strip(elevon) of 6mm depron just to see what it would be like and I think it will do fine. It's pretty tough stuff... as far as the 1.5" width goes you can barely flex it, but from end to end you can twist it 90 degrees. So I would just sand a 45 angle on the control surface and use the clear packing tape as hinges. I would use one long piece of tape per side on the elevon... just like using covering for hinges. The 6mm stuff is plenty thick enough for easy hinges too. I did this on my little electric depron plane, but I used plastic canopy CA glue on them and even that ate the foam and the hinges did not last long. With tape it would be impossible to rip one off. Anyone lost and elevon lately??? I would use 6mm depron for winglets too, but my piece has warped so badly...make sure you get a true sheet of it.. or store it flat. Good luck... sound like a neat idea.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:58 PM
combatpigg

No, I am going to cut some constant chord wings, and experiment with wingspan. I think 48" with 6" of chord would make them handle like little SSC planes. Lifting airfoil so you don't lose too much air in the attacking manuevers. Our LHS has depron, it isn't cheap, but is still less money than balsa. I wonder if a 1.5" x 20" long strip will be too flexxy or fluttery? I will borrow from C/L combat building techniques for the engine mount. If they turn out too heavy, then there is always the .074 to bail me out.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:04 PM
scudrunner77

If you hinge the whole length with tape or lots of little hinges then I don't think it will twist on you. I'm curious how it turns out... I'm sure your RTF factory (barn) can bust one out quicker than I can type this post.