Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Decathalon 074 finally done

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Decathalon 074 finally done

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 11:43 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Decathalon 074 finally done

OK guys, finally redone, 074 norvel replaces the 061 Norvel, it is a diesel conversion with AJCs head. It started life as a watt age??
400 electric 40 inch span dry weight 25 oz, thats an MAS 8x3 on the front,This was a slighty bashed "rescue" form the local HS
will try balance at 25% of chord for first flight martin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60789.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	295907  
Old 07-11-2005, 07:59 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Decathalon 074 finally done

Can't wait to hear how the diesel flys it! Is that MAS prop blue?
Old 07-11-2005, 08:23 AM
AMB

It is indeed blue. It is the only BLUE MAS prop I have evry seen. all my other are black martin maye a new series??
Engine change as to get an ROG the 061 did not cut it , had to hand launch
Old 07-11-2005, 10:19 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: dieseldan

It is indeed blue. It is the only BLUE MAS prop I have evry seen. all my other are black martin maye a new series??
The 8x3 Blue Combat is one of the G/F series -- it was colored blue so that all combat flyers would be flying the same prop (easily checked) -- at contests, no one could gain a edge due to propellor modification. The blue prop also has a little bump that cannot be seen, but can be felt when you run your fingers down the blade. Levels the playing field a bit.

The prop was designed for use in the SSC (Slow Survivable Combat) classes.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:29 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

GOOD LOOKING PLANE, DD! I will be amazed to hear that the .074 can grunt out a ROG on grass, that's a pretty big plane! I would guess that an ROG off pavement or canvas will be no problem. I'm curious to find out what rpm this set up will give you?
Old 07-11-2005, 12:00 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Nice one! Did you make those wing struts? Mine doesn't have 'em... not really sure it needs them(except for looks)

I fly (the small wattage - I think 29-30" w/s) one with a norvell 049, but my dry weight is around 15-16oz. with micro electric gear. ROG easy from hard dirt/concrete, but I don't think it would do it from grass. Also have one that's brushless electric, still in repair(previous owner doinked it).
Old 07-11-2005, 02:20 PM
AMB

Yes it cames with struts. It did take all the flex out of wing, there was a slight amount without them. After losing my VMAR cub
with the OS10 diesel conversion (no struts and wing failure) I decided to play it safe.
I do have an other vmar cub they are a 50" span the factory struts leave a little to be desired, picked up some nice airfoil shaped
aluminum strut marerial and may clip the wing to 45" remove some covering from the bottom and put in a good strong piece from
leading to trailing edge glued to a rib for a strong attachment and a small 90 angle to secure the stuts to the wing. This was one hellava
plane fast and agile. the wire main gear goes too have saved the dural gear from the destroyed one, Also took out most of the dihedral
which really helped get it out of the "trainer catagory", more decathaon or super cub like martin
Old 07-11-2005, 02:26 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Always a good idea to keep the wings on!

I think we're talking about two different planes, didn't know wattage had more than one. Noticed (after looking at the picture again), your wing has no sheeting on the top, and the cowl shape is different. Looks nice all the same, good luck with it. [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 07-11-2005, 02:36 PM
AMB

It may not be a watt age just a guess, being the servos for elevator and rudder in rear may not be and running 2 servos in wing\
got is used in the LHS it had a few tears and break in the fus, it was certainly an electric had to rip out the battery tray, put in new
firewall to carry the engine mount martin