Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Cox engine question or 2

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox engine question or 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 05:05 AM
SRA Foam Flyer
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cox engine question or 2

Is there any difference between the medallion .049 and the tee dee .049 aside from the Exhaust thottle muffler?

Also I have a newer cox engine, not sure what type, it came with a free flight plane and a fuel tank different than I have ever seen before, it has the twin slits on the exhausts like the medallion as opposed to the single openings on other cox engines. I was saving it for a glider, but I want to refresh this old in years not usage medallion to match a new one I have for a twin engine plane. I am going to remove the throttle from the new medallion and run them both wide open. I took the cylinder and piston from the free flight motor and applied it to the medallion, it runs fine, but are they the same. I here there are different compression values on these cox engines, what determines that, the number of threads on the cylinder or glow plug threads, copper glow plug gasket thickness??? Crap shoot, use the tach to see if they match or just switch the cylinders back.

Or just give up and sell all my cox stuff and buy another norvel
Old 10-15-2002, 06:49 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: Cox engine question or 2

Is there any difference between the medallion .049 and the tee dee .049 aside from the Exhaust thottle muffler?

Yes, the Tee Dee has different bypass flutes that add more power. The carb is also different being 3 tiny holes around the edge of the opening rather than a standard spray bar. Crankshaft timing is different too as well as some other internal and external differences. The Tee Dee has much higher performance than the Medallion.

Also I have a newer cox engine, not sure what type....

There were LOTS of them. You'll have to provide a much more detailed description or, better yet, a picture.

it has the twin slits on the exhausts like the medallion as opposed to the single openings on other cox engines. ....

Cox parts are all pretty much interchangable but that doesn't mean that they are all the same. For cylinders the bypass flute arrangement is a big factor in how much power the engine makes. Also there are 3 different glow plugs that give different compression ratios, a hemi dome type, a straight conical and a trumpet shaped high compresion type for the Tee Dee's. You can also fine tune them with extra head gaskets.

And if they are clean and not worn out they can still run fine.

Good luck with 'em.