Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Does any one use Cirrus servo's?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Does any one use Cirrus servo's?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 11:20 PM
LoneRanger
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does any one use Cirrus servo's?

I am going to buy 2 or 3 small servo's (not HS-81 small)

more like HS 55's

so I was comparing the HS 55 to the cirrus servo's....

this is the HS 55=

Torque: 4.8VDC: 13oz-in.

Speed @ 60 Degrees: 4.8VDC: 0.17 seconds

Bearing Type: None (Case serves as bearing)

Case Size: 0.9"x .46"x .95"

Weight: .32oz

Wire Length: 6.5" (Includes plug)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is the Cirrus CS 21BB=

Torque: 19.0 Oz per inch @4.8V

speed: .09 sec @ 60 deg.

Bearing: ball bearing

Case: .86 x .43 x .77

weight: .32 Oz

Wire length: unknown

it would appear the Cirrus servo blows away the Hitec as they are the identical weight and the cirrus is actualy a bit smaller, and has WAY more power and Torque.

does any one use cirrus servo's?

how do they operate, any problems?

do they center well after much flying time?

Do they get sloppy?

are they jitery?

any and all opinions are much appreciated.

LoneRanger
Old 10-16-2002, 12:25 AM
mynameisAARON

I was interested in those but, on hobby people's website you can follow like 3 links to the specifications and their all different !
This was a couple months ago, but for them to get my business they need to have there specs listed correctly...
Aaron
Old 10-16-2002, 12:29 AM
LoneRanger

they have like 4 different sub micro servo's......??? CS 20, 21, 25, and 26 all have different specs.

I dont know................. that is why I posted on here, figgured I would get real people, with real planes using these servo's for real.

not just what I can read on a retailers web

L.R.

any one else? play ball!
Old 10-16-2002, 01:02 AM
beenie
My Feedback: (9)

I use the CS21's and the real little CS10. I have used them in electrics and 1/2a glow. I have only had one fail on me and that is because it had a Hitec plug and I plugged it into an Airtronics Rx. I have actually had more problems with the Hs 55's. I have had 4 CS21's and they have worked well now for a year and a half of hard flying and crashing. The 21's are a little bigger than the 55's, but it isn't enough to worry about. I think that they fit in the same hole. My only complaint is that the wire is a little short for my taste, but it has only been a problem once. I don't have it to measure, but I would estimate 5"-6". One other plus is the variety of horns and the rubber grommets, a good thing for glow.
Old 10-16-2002, 01:11 AM
LoneRanger

outstanding info, thanks very much for the review!

any one else?

L.R.
Old 10-16-2002, 01:15 AM
mynameisAARON

I'm sorry, what i meant was they posted different specs for the SAME servo...
Old 10-16-2002, 01:33 AM
Frisbee
My Feedback: (2)

I had bought some CS 26's (I think, anyways they were small cirrus servos) for a Herr 1/2A that I never finished. I popped them in a Sig Wonder I built last winter and they have held up all summer and appear to be fine. They have plenty of power for this plane and I will see how they hold up.
Old 10-16-2002, 01:39 AM
LoneRanger

that is awesome, yeah the 26's is the biggest of thier micro series.

thanks for the info,

keep it rollin I am slowly turning into a Cirrus buyer (not just yet)

lol

L.R.
Old 10-16-2002, 12:47 PM
Jeff Leavitt

Default Servo's.......

LR,

I use hitech 55's in my 1/2a pylon racers and my buddy uses the Cirrus 21's. He probably has a dozen or so, and generally speaking, he's had good luck. Yes, he's had a couple go bad on him. And I've had a couple of the 55's go bad on me, so they seem to be pretty even. And to be fair some of the problems could have been crash related. FMA sells the same servo and calls it the 90. I have had a couple of those and they served me well. Hitech has always treated me well on service issues, FMA has not so I don't buy anything there anymore. The people I buy from sell hitech and not the Cirrus and because the 21 is real popular Hobby People don't alway's have them in stock. Long story short is I can alway's get the 55's from people I normally do business with. It's a no brainer. Now, if they carried the 21's and had when I needed them, I'd buy the 21's instead. I like the torque and speed ratings too! Good Luck.... Jeff.....
Old 10-16-2002, 01:42 PM
LoneRanger

I buy Hitec for the same reason, Superior customer service------!

however I think I may go out on a limb here and give the cirrus servo's a shot.

Is Hobby People the only place to get the Cirrus servo's?

thanks for all the replies!

LoneRanger
Old 10-16-2002, 03:33 PM
beenie
My Feedback: (9)

I have had good customer service with the people who distribute Cirrus. I have many CS71bb's in my sport planes and once bought one that was quite jittery. My LHS gave me a new one and sent the old one back to the distrbuter. I think that BnD hobbies has some CS21's in stock. His number is 1-888-854-0710. I have dealt with him for 3 years and continue to buy from him. The boards on the 71's have GWS etched into them, so I would assume that GWS is the origional manufacturer of these servos.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:42 AM
SRA Foam Flyer
My Feedback: (11)

Sounds like a general average in performance between the 2 brands, I have had terrible luck with my cirrus servos and will never buy them again. One had almost an immediate pot failure that I was lucky enough to catch on the ground, the other 2 stripped there gears in flight, cost me 2 planes though. I rebuilt the gears, the one with the bad pot was hopeless but they will never see more than throttle action.
I have had 0 problems with hitec and GWS other than my own faults.
Old 10-18-2002, 04:56 AM
LoneRanger

one more thing on the cirrus servo's, all thier ratings must be using 4.8V but I prefer (though not always) to use a 5 cell pack hence 6.0V do these guys handle 6.0V ?

EVRYTHING I HAVE SEEN HAS BEEN WITH 4.8V

Hitec shows readings with both 4.8 AND 6.0V

any comments on that?

they do OK with 6 volts? how much do the numbers increase?

that would be a great help to me.

thanks,

LoneRanger
Old 10-18-2002, 01:11 PM
Jeff Leavitt

Default 6 Volts plus......

L.R,

I have a couple of the old style Duralite batteries that I use in my Racers. I think that they register over seven volts when fully charged. They weigh 1.2 oz. and are 800 MA batteries. You can fly all day and not sweat the charge. I have used this battery with the FMA s 90 servo which is the same as the Cirrus 21. I did notice that some resellers of the GWS servo's don't post specs for 6V operation on the smaller servo's. Don't know why as mine worked great with the above mentioned battery. I would not hesitate to use these servo's again with 6.0 V. OBTW, this setup also works great on the 55's. With small servo's sh*t happens and you can get a bad one from any of the mfg's. Yes, I've even seen some hi dollar JR's bad out of the box. To black ball a mfg. just because you got a bad one is a little unrealistic. It's how well they take care of you when you have a problem that's important. Rgds, Jeff....
Old 10-20-2002, 06:17 AM
Micro Rotors

Default CS servos

Hello Lone Ranger,

I have used them for YEARS!

They are great servos and for the price.... you can’t beat them. To be honest, I have put them in power planes, helicopters, gliders, and boats. I have had probably 3-4 go south on me, also a few because I plugged them in wrong. Now that number of problems is nothing compared to how many I have used, at least 50+. The only quirk I have is, the CS-10's could have a little tougher gear system if they aileron goes out to the wing tip, if they are used on a small plane with that type of aileron, go with a CS-21.

The best thing about them is you can take them back with no questions asked. I live about 20 minutes from 4 Hobby People stores AKA-(Hobby Shack). Now they could use some help with their brand of receivers, but their gyros are good. All in all, Cirrus is a good brand and they have been around since the 70's.

Hope this helps
Bill