Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Ace Upstart ll

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 07:29 PM
propbuster
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ace Upstart ll

Hey Guys, I just came in high bidder on an Ace Upstart ll on Ebay! Anyone have any experience with this model? It says .049 to .051, I have a couple of TD's but was wondering if one of the sure start production engines would be enough for it. It looks like a nice mid wing racer and I'm looking foward to getting her built and in the air Thanks, Tim
Old 07-17-2005, 08:43 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Ace Upstart ll

Never seen one in person, but it looks like a great little plane! If they were trying to meet the minimum weight standard of 20 ozs for 1/2A pylon, there might be some wood best left in the box, especially plywood and any balsa that looks more like basswood. They [ACE] like using hard balsa sheet tail feathers.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:09 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Upstart came out in '71 -- another of Owen Kampen's designs. Kampen is probably best known on this forum for the Whizard, however, he was a prolific designer and used a lot of different construction techniques -- pretty innovative for the times.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40041.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	298498  
Old 07-18-2005, 09:30 AM
Remby
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A low price for a Ebay item, should work well with the TD. The surestart is probally a bit underpowered. This is a rudder/elevator/throttle as shown on plans, ailerons would be good addition. The Ace plan is probally half size, so as you punch out the parts, I would suggest tracing them to the back of the plan for a later rebuild. Owen did a few of Ace's kitted models, The Pacer & The Mach None I think, along with others. Keep us updated on how it goes!
Remby
Old 07-18-2005, 01:03 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

I flew an Upstart with a TD049 with KK venturi and pressure backplate. Optimized the cylinder ports and had glow Bee plugs. It was a lot of fun in the 70's for very little money.
Build it and have a ball. It's not a rocket ship but it is a steady flyer. Oh do put ailerons on it and get rid of any dihedral. With todays more modern lighter equipment it should reach it's true potential.
Dennis
Old 07-24-2005, 02:48 PM
propbuster

Well, It's looking like I'm getting screwed out of the Upstart[:@]. After a week of Emailing the seller on Ebay, the guy won't respond. Maybe he died?[X(] Maybe he thought the winning price was too low but, then he should have set a reserve! Either way, the guy's name is Timothy Herzog aka prole on this forum. So, I wouldn't try to deal with him. If anyone has access to a set of plans for this bird I'd be happy to pay for a copy, as it looks like a nice little racer. I was looking foward to building and flying it but oh well
Old 07-24-2005, 09:23 PM
flyinrog

I hope thats not the case, I know Tim is on the road in a band, and his home base is out of Durham so it may take a bit for him to get it to you...Rog,,
Hey you coming back here in October for the next flyin?
Old 07-24-2005, 09:55 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Yes he is cause he will be riding with me again. I won't miss the next one buddy, even if I am birdless. If you know the guy I will pick it up and save PB the shipping since I need to deliver a bottle of fuel to him. I will be coming thru on Tues AM (too late for you) and again on Friday after Raymond and I are finished loitering at McD's[8D] He can pm me for a cell #
Old 08-07-2005, 11:45 PM
goldy9955

Hey Propbuster, What became of your Upstart 2? I also bought one on ebay about a year ago. I thought I had lost the plans, I found em today. PM me with an address and I'll mail it to you. This is such a cool little plane. It was dated 1971 and is an Upstart. I don't know what the Upstart 2 is. The plans are for an ail/elev controls. I finished mine and traced all the parts so if
I like it, I can make another, just need a set of Ace foam wings. Weighs in at 19 oz with a .061 Norvel and 1 oz tank.

Thanks for helping me find an Ace High a few months ago. I'm saving it for a rainy day.
Thanks goldy9955
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90844.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	307269  
Old 08-08-2005, 12:08 AM
goldy9955

Still learning how to post photos. The red plane is the upstart, the blue/yellow is a SS P-51. Only 1 picture came out. It tells me that the file is too large on all other photos.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:14 AM
goldy9955

OK, Propbuster, the plans and drawings are in the mail. The drawings in full scale are on the back of another set of plans for a HOB T tail glider, hope that'll keep you busy for awhile. I built
the glider and it came out really nice except I built the tail a little too heavy and had to use 2 oz [:@]
of weight in the nose. If you put a BW on the nose you may not need the weight. Anyway, have
fun.

Thanks goldy9955
Old 07-24-2017, 12:10 PM
bdseed

Default Upstart by Ace

When I was young I had 4-5 upstarts. The TeeDee .051 makes a good match for this plane It is pretty quick. Put anything bigger in and you will snap the wings off.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:14 PM
bkhart
My Feedback: (6)

Upstart plans are also available free on the Outerzone plans site. Upstart plan - Free download - Outerzone Bill