Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Kids and there toys,NEED.............................

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Kids and there toys,NEED.............................

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 10:53 PM
D Bronk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kids and there toys,NEED.............................

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HELLO everyone!! my name is RILEY NOVICKI,I`m 11 years old and,I have 2 brothers; Bailey(9),and Brody(7) . MY uncle DAVE,who lives out in the country, is building us an airplane.The plane is a Guillows S.E.5A Bi-plane witha 20" wing span. we`re making it in to a free-flight scale model. We are modifing it from the original plans, and construction methods to make it stronger . Uncle DAVE bought the engine for it, and it`s is bigger than what the plans require.It is supposed to have a 0.020"engine,but Uncle thought bigger, is better,and bought a 0.049"COX Babe Bee for our new model. We think This engine will be pretty good in our model ,because the plane is going to be heavier than if it was not modified !! What does everybody else think???Since we Kids are visiting this week we hope to fly it before we go home.Uncle Dave thinks that we will.Our jobs will be painting some of the parts,and when it`s flying to fetch it back [:@][sm=drowning.gif] LOL. He says that we all are going to have a lot of fun with this one!! . Because it is much stronger than the ones that we got from him at CHRISTMAS time.WE are going to post some pictures to show you what we mean,and also of our new S.E.5A being built; and painted.WE BOYS, would like to hear back, from anyone for their thoughts and opinions,please. We are all anxious to fly this one!!!!!!!!! [sm=drowning.gif] IN the mean time we would like to see some Videos of this engine in action;so if anyone can send us some,or tell us where to find them we would like to hear back. UNCLE DAVE is helping us with our new thread,he`s doing the typing .After our visit we are going to keep working on our new thread from home,and get our own membership at RCU!!! [sm=RAINFRO.gif] Riley, [sm=RAINFRO.gif] Bailey, [sm=idea.gif] Brody,and UNCLE[sm=greedy.gif]. WE`LL have a video of our MAIDEN VOYAGE,soon if everything goes as planed. THANK you for visiting our new thread!!!THE BOYS.
THIS is why we need a stronger plane!!![&o][&o][&o]
UNCLE could not fix them fast enough!!!WE... WRECKED[:@][:'(][X(].. 9 planes the last time we visited and damaged the 10`th a bit,just trying to get our wings,POOR OL`Uncle DAVE[sm=greedy.gif]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26828.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	299371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57411.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	299372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37903.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	299373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi14641.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	299374  
Old 07-20-2005, 12:17 AM
D Bronk

Default RE: Kids and there toys,NEED.............................

here`s our newest VICTIM,,,er we mean model[8D],,,$$;(the 4 of us, you guess who is who.)By the way, the stick and tissue planes just can`t hold up to our current piloting skills.So the new one is getting a full1/32" sheeting job

Name:	Ca82726.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	299379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98474.jpg
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	299380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90832.jpg
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	299381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91401.jpg
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	299382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs95227.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	299383   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ne55531.jpg
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	299384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ik91954.jpg
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	299385  
Old 07-20-2005, 10:30 AM
D Bronk

Good morning this is Riley Novicki now. We`re still hoping for some replys and videos of the babe bee engine were going to start painting it today so were not going to be flying it today so we would really apricate it if some one sent us a video were going to post some more pictures of it as we cover more and more progress so we would really apricate it if we got replys of how you think it will fly so if you had[have] one we would really like to hear how yours flyed and if you have any suggestions please write back we dont want this one to end up like the ones we got for Cristmas dun dun dun dun duuuuuuuulol.the blue one was not steped on it hit a picnic table lol and the red one was not snaped in half like a twig we just threw it to hard against the wind went strait down on to a gravel drive way[X(]lol.They flew good for a while but then damage was serias.MY plane the white one look at its landing gear closely if you cant see whats wrong the landing gear cracked some how.So thats it Riley[typing] Bailey Brody and Uncle Dave c'ya.

Edited to remove strikethrough command-bcm
Old 07-20-2005, 10:52 AM
dieFluggeister

Hey guys, welcome to the forum and thanks for the great pictures. Sounds like you are having a super time and I love the way you involve the family in your model projects.

Some of my thoughts...
Weight is an airplane killer. I know it seems weird but the lighter you can get your plane the better they will survive a crash. More weight means that the plane must fly faster to stay airborne. When a plane crashes force=weight x speed squared. A little more weight means a much harder crash. My advise is to build strong but as light as you can. Even 1 oz on a plane this size makes a huge difference.

More power is not better. If the plane was designed for 020 then that is how it will fly the best. An 049 will add weight, speed, and will shift the center of gravity forward so you will have balance problems and may even have to add a counterweight to the tail!

I know it may be hard to find a 020 on short notice but I think you will be much happier with the flight performance. I wish you the best of luck, and most of all have lots of fun! Welcome again to the hobby.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:31 AM
D Bronk

To the flying ghost thats your user name translated.thanks for replying were pretty sure that its not going to crash because were going to be flying it in tall grass I think that the grass is taller than me so that should stop us from crashing it but my biggest concern is that the grass will get tangled in the propller or hit this one pile of rocks but we have an extra propller and like we said were building it extra stong so thanks for that advice Uncle Dave is building it as light as he can and its really not that heavy.Hes making the wing struts.Thanks again for replying and the advice.

Name:	Ge94026.jpg
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	299482  
Old 07-20-2005, 12:07 PM
D Bronk

Hi flying ghost,and everybody else. Its me again were finished the wing struts and there made out of spruce because the wood in the kit was it wasn't vary good balsa.There is one picture of them bye.

Name:	Fd90665.jpg
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	299493  
Old 07-20-2005, 04:22 PM
D Bronk

Hi everybody its Riley again were gaining lots of progress tonight we are trying out our engine were holding it down on a picnic table.we finshed painting the pilot the egsaust pipe and the wheels and now there is a new RAF[Royal Aircraft factory]paint line. lol.Uncle Dave mentiond somthing about a laser on the wing,I wonder what he means by that???????I bet its somthing cool!!!ow ya were still looking for some replys,suggestions,and videos of the babe bee eingine[in a plane] in action so if you have any please send them.thnaks for your time BYE.

Uncle Dave says that im in charge of the threed now

Name:	Wu60926.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	299570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61102.jpg
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	299571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq35821.jpg
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	299572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt53511.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	299573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi61891.jpg
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	299574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nd53452.jpg
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	299575  
Old 07-20-2005, 07:42 PM
peterburford

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Guys,
Sounds a lot like my early experience.
Lots of building time, not that much flying.
Peter
Old 07-20-2005, 09:00 PM
D Bronk

hey'a Peterburford how is life in Australi you probaly know that were from Canada were going to look in an atlas to see were your city is.you'll never guess what just happend to me today I just caught a air conndisoning cold lol.Yep were learning alot about planse. by the way do you know anything about a laser that goes on a wing?were also learnig about geagogrphy from Canada to Australilol.so some freiendly advice don't crank your air condiong to high lol.Is your town vary small or new?Because we cant find your town.It dosn't look like were going to be testing the engine today.So thank you for replying CY'A.Were going to put some more pictures up soon.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:37 PM
peterburford

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Riley, Bailey, Brody and Dave,
I live 25 Km inland from the sea, in the mountains very close to the Queensland / New South Wales border.
It is winter here and I am using the air conditioning for warmth in my workshop as I am machining a batch of exhaust manifolds.
Check my site, www.peterburford.com.au and use the contact Email to send me your address. I shall post you a pair (for free) of my propellers that will well suit your 049. (As well as my 0.020 diesel.)
Look back at my site in a week or two. I have sent a bunch of upgrade to the web guys and will have more to come.
Good flying,
Peter
Old 07-20-2005, 11:24 PM
D Bronk

Hi Peter and everybody on RCU we have some more pictures of the vertical stablizer and uncle Dave put a hinge system in it.This way after we get to fly with a bit of a lift we can turn the rudder so that we can have a large upward spiral.Thank you Peter so much for the offer.Its getting late now and its time for bed.Uncle Dave says once we're asleep the airplane elfs are going to get to work lol.Uncle told us what he means about putting a laser onto the wings,stablizer,and vertical.Its going to be used,to make all the flying surfaces,perfectly in line with each other. There`s two pictures of the laser on the wall just so people can see it.Well visit you tommrow and the address to you.Currently we have a pair of master airscrew propellers 6x3 in.
THE GUYS

Name:	Rp42749.jpg
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	299729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40023.jpg
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	299730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17000.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	299731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg97695.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	299732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uf50507.jpg
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	299733   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iz39136.jpg
ID:	299734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wy48141.jpg
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	299735   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cb95010.jpg
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	299736  

Old 07-20-2005, 11:30 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi boys. It's great to see some kids get away from the video games long enough to have a go at building some model airplanes.

You guys tell your uncle that the 049 is too much power and it'll just get the model into trouble rather than make it fly better. But there is a way to fool it into thinking it's a smaller engine. Turn the propeller around so it's backwards. That means the curved top side of the blades is to the back of the model and the flatter back side is to the front. That'll reduce the engine thrust to a lot closer to what you need to have for a smaller model like the SE5.

Best of luck with the model and the flying in the grass and here's hoping you miss the rock pile. If you want to try a new home for your 049 and you don't think it'll make you dizzy I have plans you can download for a control line trainer. It's called the Cadet and you can download the plans from this page....

http://www.smallflyingarts.com/Free_...free_plans.htm

The hot link to the plans for the Cadet is down near the bottom after all the free flight stuff. There's been 4 or 5 Cadets built now and all have flown well from what I've heard.

If you want to stick with free flight then go with something larger at about 36 inch span for the 049.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:04 PM
D Bronk

Hello everybody it's Riley again we finished some painting yesterday.I painted the pilot,Bailey painted the exsaust pipes and the exsaust manofauls,and Brody painted the tires.Uncle Dave made a leaterly coulor and I painted the pilots Jaket and the pilots cap with that coulor.WE painted the face with a baigeish coulor.We still need to add some detail to his face.Our Grandma Irene is going to make the pilot a little scarf.The rims on the wheel are white Brody painted a little bit on the tire but we fixed it up we still need to put a red spot on the middle of it.The exaust system stuff that Bailey painted are a stell coulor he painted the exsaust pipes on one big stick and we cut it in half.Uncle Dave was starting up the engine so when we go to fly it,it wont stall its not quwit broken in yet.Thats all bye.

Name:	Us54989.jpg
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	299906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je11038.jpg
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	299907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36498.jpg
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	299908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le93185.jpg
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	299909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv17172.jpg
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	299910  
Old 07-21-2005, 11:05 PM
D Bronk

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

Hi boys. It's great to see some kids get away from the video games long enough to have a go at building some model airplanes.

You guys tell your uncle that the 049 is too much power and it'll just get the model into trouble rather than make it fly better. But there is a way to fool it into thinking it's a smaller engine. Turn the propeller around so it's backwards. That means the curved top side of the blades is to the back of the model and the flatter back side is to the front. That'll reduce the engine thrust to a lot closer to what you need to have for a smaller model like the SE5.

Best of luck with the model and the flying in the grass and here's hoping you miss the rock pile. If you want to try a new home for your 049 and you don't think it'll make you dizzy I have plans you can download for a control line trainer. It's called the Cadet and you can download the plans from this page....

http://www.smallflyingarts.com/Free_...free_plans.htm

The hot link to the plans for the Cadet is down near the bottom after all the free flight stuff. There's been 4 or 5 Cadets built now and all have flown well from what I've heard.

If you want to stick with free flight then go with something larger at about 36 inch span for the 049.
Hi B.Mathews.DAVE here;how are you?Just to let you know, the boys are video JUNKIES too!! The reason we are going to use the 0.049" is ,when we went to the LHS,together we were told that we would NOT have troubles with this combo. the plans actually state what you say about the reversed prop as well,but in regards to the smaller 0.020"engine.[X(] SO in thinking for the future,and, most definate up-coming projects,the Babe BEE be a perfect candidate for the torture that I`m sure it`s going to encounter.I took a quick peek at that web site and that may be a good project.Currently I am doing the building, under the kids watchfull eyes!I`m slowly trying to teach them the respect and use of the tools and chemicals.WE hope to enjoy the curtrent project but time will tell.AS the tutor I think we are going to have a raise the dead ,repair lesson. WE`LL try to bring some of the earlier victims back to life,except that boys will be getting more hands on experiance by fixing their own models.It`s quite trying to be the mentor but I`m sure the role will reverse one day and it will be them taking me flying,when I`m old and gray. today we had an engine day and fired up the BEE.I`m writing in here too becauseI`m a bit of a kid, also.Once the boys have gone back home I`ll write about my experiances with the young men,explaining some things.We also had a saftey show and tell today.FUNNY now but painful then(thumb meets prop)More on that ;later..... UNCLE DAVE
Old 07-21-2005, 11:32 PM
D Bronk

Hi every one its Riley.Today we were running in the engine[breaking in] It went really fast for 5min 41sec.I think were going to half to run about at least a mile or two to find it but were not going to use a full rtank so we wont have to run as far.Me and my brothers are learning a lot about model air planes,geaogrphy,and gravity.Today while we were braking in the engine Uncle Dave seen the fuel pump falling so he went to grab it and he didn't see the prop and it cut his thumb.We don't think well have time to test the plane out on this visit but the next vist were pretty sure were going to get to fly it.Riley

Name:	Qo41340.jpg
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	300076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41408.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	300077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38202.jpg
ID:	300078  
Old 07-22-2005, 10:30 AM
D Bronk

A SURPRISE AND HOMEWORK for the KIDS.

Name:	Da83361.jpg
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	300196   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19056.jpg
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	300197   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61605.jpg
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	300198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf96121.jpg
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	300199   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv15704.jpg
ID:	300200   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uk78181.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	300201  
Old 07-22-2005, 11:21 AM
D Bronk

Hello everyone its Riley......again.Good morning hows everyone doing today.Uncle Dave surprised us this morning by saying that he found a engine for an plane that he used when he was a kid.so were going to fixup one of the planes we got for Crhistmas and put the motor in it.But we do want to know more about, what kind of motor it is.So were hoping that one of you experts could tell us more about the engine it is, by looking at the pictures, from the last entry a surprise and homework for the boys. Uncle Dave is giving us some clues right now.It's an 0.049 too. It was a plastic Fokker tri plane Cox built control line set, with a remote fuel tank and large open exhaust port. Its diffrent than the Babe Bee.Uncle Dave got it for Christmas in the 1970's.So we really would like to know what it was called or anything else that was special about it.Were going to need to purchase some parts for it.Riley out bye.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:24 PM
dieFluggeister

Hi Riley. Here is a website that may help you identify your engine. Start looking in the section called "production engines"

http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/cox_frameset.htm

Be sure to compare the year your uncle thinks the plane was made, look at the number of exhaust ports and all other details because many of the Cox engines are pretty similar.

The same website also has information on different models (maybe your uncle's biplane). Take a look at the section called "Model Database".
Old 08-03-2005, 04:51 PM
D Bronk

WELL my "wrecking crew" came back to visit..UNCLE D.here... I`ve been working on the KIDS plane in anticipation of this visit.They`ll be here for a few days again .Good chance we`ll get a bit of flying in before they go back home,this time.Still have a bit of finishing to do though,and we will, all be on the assembly line this evening.GONNA get Riley working the computer after I get off this post,and will have him explain these pictures. Would like him to do some resarch on that web site posted above we just ran out of time, when they were here last. I think the pics are self explaning, but this is his job.
D.B.

Name:	Jh14739.jpg
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	305225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40799.jpg
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	305226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83348.jpg
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	305227   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf94376.jpg
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	305228   Click image for larger version

Name:	Al72916.jpg
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	305229   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yo91465.jpg
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	305230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Su36960.jpg
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	305231  
Old 08-03-2005, 05:09 PM
D Bronk

Hello every body Its' Riley, Bailey,and Brody.We Are Back at Uncle Daves and Grandmas.We just posted some more pictures of the plane on the threed we will be putting more on soon.The top four are pictures of the plane in genral.The bottom three are pictures of spesific parts of the plane the one on the left is a picture of the cock pit and head rest.The middle picutre is the tail and the vertical and horizantal stablelizier and the one on the right is a picture of the engine.
Well thats it for now bye.Riley Bailey Brody and Uncle Dave.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:29 AM
dioncuda

Looking good!!
Keep up the good work.
Hope you all fly it soon.
Are you going to get a video of it flying?(hope so)
Old 08-04-2005, 10:46 AM
D Bronk

Pic why nothing was done yesterday[:@] VIDEO GAMES[:'(] UNCLE D.

Name:	Ay74477.jpg
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	305439  
Old 08-04-2005, 11:07 AM
D Bronk

ORIGINAL: D Bronk

Pic why nothing was done yesterday[:@] VIDEO GAMES[:'(] UNCLE D.
Hello it's Riley Bailey and Brody again today were not going to be playing as many video games compared to yesterday.I'm tyiping(Riley) while Uncle Dave and my brothers are painting.We have some more pictures of the plane.The first top two pictures are of the planes radiator and the other ones are mainly of the rad cratol.So hopefully we will get all of the painting done today so we can fly it tomorrow.Were going to try and get some videos of the first flight.Thats all for now we will proably post some more pictures up.Bye Riley Bailey Brody Uncle Dave out.

Name:	Pn36715.jpg
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	305449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97794.jpg
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	305450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14308.jpg
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	305451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77497.jpg
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	305452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34862.jpg
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	305453  
Old 08-04-2005, 11:57 AM
D Bronk

Hello everyone Its Riley again.These pictures are of the end of Baileys exaust pipe.Theres more coming in a while.Bye

Name:	Qo38643.jpg
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	305464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89774.jpg
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	305465  
Old 08-04-2005, 12:07 PM
KidEpoxy

The plane looks really good so far.
It will stand up to the grass very well and you should enjoy may flights if you avoid the rock piles

Video games come & go, but planes will be around forever.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.