Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2 A Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 09:40 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1/2 A Corsair

1/2 A Corsair

Need to begin work on a plan for a 1/2A Corsair. Most of the plans and kits that I have come across little resemble the lines of the real one. The Sterling Model looks OK, but is heavy with wood, and is too expensive for the average Joe now. The Royal moreover resembles a sleek bent wing trainer. Guillows and other rubber designs need too much beefing up to survive our 45 degree landings.

Have been looking at the RCM Corsair of about 1977 vintage and was going to incorporate this as a starting point, as it apparently flies. It just resembles a Corsair, and I would like to bring back some of the proportion to it. It has quite a bit of "Bent" to the wings too. I have not communicated with anyone who had flown this design.

I would like to use the Norvel .061 but will go up to a .074 should the performance lack any.

Does anyone have a better suggestion as to starting point for a Elev, Ailer, & motor controlled small one? Also what is a good substitute for a wood cowling? I had used the bottom from a plastic mustard jar many years ago. What would be appropriate now for the Corsair?

Wm.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:00 AM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/2 A Corsair

What about the ACE kit? At least it comes with the cowl & canopy, and you can probably modify the formers to give a better fuselage cross-section. I found with my simple Staggerwing that the fuselage wood ( lite ply [:'(] ) is a bit too heavy, and just used the kit as a pattern to build a lighter version anyway. And as for do-it-yourself cowls, you might try going to the dollar store and checking out the toilet brushes. They come with a round, cup-shaped holder that is at least the right size for the cowl of the Staggerwing, and though somewhat on the heavy side, is extremely tough, and given the light weight of the Norvel .074, helps balance the plane with it's short nose, since it was designed with an OS .10 in mind. BTW, the Norvel fits inside without having to hack out a hole for the muffler. Just open enough of a hole for your glow driver to get to the plug, add a short piece of silicone tube to exit the exhaust out the side and you're there.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:03 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

I have a Sterling Corsair kit also. You hit the nail on the head with that one. I nearly passed out when I opened the box! It does a good job of resembling the original though. Maybe a rethink of the innards? Corsairs are difficult to replicate. Good luck with the project!
Old 07-24-2005, 10:24 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I would use the GUILLOWS model for reference, then sell the kit. The fuselage could then be built from 3/32" balsa sheet. I would go with a wingspan of 28-30". There's no REASON why it couldn't come in at 14 ozs or less with 2 channels, there are only EXCUSES why it couldn't .
Old 07-24-2005, 10:54 AM
av8rsodt
My Feedback: (23)

I have always thought that Jim Ryan's Speed 400 designs would make great 1/2A's. He has a corsair, hellcat, p-47, fw-190, among many others. I have most of the construction articles and pics that I will try and post later today.

I am sure the design may need some mods, but they would be minor. He designs great looking models with a solid simple construction methods.

Brian
Old 07-24-2005, 11:43 AM
groundsman

Check out RCM June 1977
RCM Has the plan for a 1/2 A Corsair. See if this works for you.

http://www.rcmmagazine.com/e/env/000...m=plans:PL-690
Old 07-24-2005, 05:32 PM
CoosBayLumber

Groundman.... You need to read paragraph two above.

Wm.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:45 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

A company called GS models made a nice 1/2a Zero and Corsair around 1979, all wood. If you can find one...
I suggest that you check out Sig for a generic cowl, preferably a metal one.
I agree that the Gullows kit is a great place to start...very scale, and you get the canopy and cowl and LOTS of plastic details. Throw out all the parts, and start with a more RC oriented structure. If it's not really scale, it's not happening, you know?
Old 07-25-2005, 06:26 AM
ClemenTang

Marutaka has a very scale one. Dunno if it's still available or not. It's a no-BS "real kit". Alum cowl, compound curves planking for the wing as well as the fuse (then you need to iron that film into the compound curve on the top of the wing). It's even more work than building the Guillows tho.

Clement
Old 07-25-2005, 08:25 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

The Marutaka kit IS the Royal kit he mentions in the first post.
Surprised to hear him say it is not scale, I have built the 109, Zero, and Spit from the same series, they are pretty scale. But I have not built the Corsair.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:10 AM
CoosBayLumber

The 1/2A Royal/Maru kit I have hands on is a good 20 years old. The fuselage is overly streamlined and stretched. They were selling them at the Pasadena (AMA) show for $22 each back then, which was high, and explaining to purchasers to build light. If you consume all the parts in the box, it has to come out only one way. It was also appologetically referred to as the then new Sport Scale.

Wm.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:17 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

No experience with the Corsair, but yes, the others are very much sport scale, at best. And the weight is an issue, for sure. I was just looking at a Royal Tony I built and never flew, it really is so far off scale as to be less than interesting...it's a 1976 kit and it shows. But the guillows...it's pretty accurate! The sterling one is not bad, either, but,again, the weight...
Old 07-26-2005, 07:56 AM
eroc144

FWIW, I'm building the Ace Simple Corsair right now and am fairly impressed. Granted, it's not an EXACT replica (body is straight balsa sides vs round, etc) but it's a good kit and is building fast, and it seems to be pretty light so far. I'll be dropping a Norvel .074 into it so I'm relatively confident that weight won't be an issue. Based on posts on other forums on this site, I'm half-tempted to try fiberglassing it - I know there are some who say I'll have a great paper weight when I'm done, but there are lots of others who say that a FG finish, done correctly, does not add pounds and pounds. I'll let you know how it turns out.

EG
Old 07-26-2005, 08:23 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Friend of mine has one. DO NOT glass it. Do not. You will make it into a brick. With the 074, it will really zip, my friends has an 061. Do tissue or monokote and light paint. You will ruin all that is nice about the plane if you are overweight.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:36 AM
rrragmanliam

Eroc,

EASYTIGER has it exactly right. If you glass it weight WILL be an issue. The ace simple kits arn't exactly light to begin with in fact a prudent builder will look for ways to take weight out. If you glass it you will be sory.

Rrragman
Old 07-26-2005, 07:43 PM
CoosBayLumber

Well, the plan I have been thinking of copying from is the RCM version of 1977. However, it has an AWFULL lot of dihedral into it. Was thinking of cutting out a few degrees of this, but still not getting down towards the prototype angles though.

How are the 1/2A designs for stability?

Wm.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:56 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

No problems, just like larger models. You aren't thinking of rudder-elevator, are you? Different story. A warbird should be aileron-elevator, and you can have the wing flat if you want, or as much dihedral as you want.