Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

V versus Conventional Tail

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

V versus Conventional Tail

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 10:12 AM
flyswatter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V versus Conventional Tail

Alright guys, because of my great respect (seriously) for the many participants of the 1/2 Forum, I got a question. What, if any, are the advantages or disadvantages of using a V-tail versus conventional?[sm=confused.gif]

I actually went out and bought a kit - the Lanier Dominator 200. As is the case for all the Dominator series, it can be built both ways. I may use it for racing or combat. Power will be supplied by either a product engine, Killer Bee, or a Blackwidow (most likely choice). Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.[8D]
Old 08-07-2005, 10:31 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: V versus Conventional Tail

HI FS! The VTAIL is specialized for racing. I had to buy a radio that had ruddervator mixing [channels 2 and 4] to fly my PREDATOR. It works beautifully, and I intend to use the VTAIL on a future SWR. I suppose that for a 1/2A racer, the tail can be hooked up elevator only. The linkage will be more difficult to conceal, so if you can't accomplish that, then the VTAIL has MORE drag than a conventional tail with hidden linkage. I still think that a fixed vertical fin with a stabilator for pitch is the lowest drag tail. The VTAIL has that MASERATI look to it though.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:47 AM
dieFluggeister

Hey flyswatter, could you give me the angle between the tail fins on the Dominator?
Old 08-07-2005, 11:57 AM
mikegordon10

Most racers with v-tails use 110 degrees
Old 08-07-2005, 10:14 PM
flyswatter

df:
The plans don't include a nose-on (or tail-on) view. However, the instructions state the v-tail is 110 degrees just as mg10 says.

cp:
You are right, the v-tail is the sportier look. A fellow at the field today said he had flown both styles of Dominators and could not tell a great deal of difference between them. I think you are right though about the drag. The key is to keep the horns and the pushrods out of the flow. If I can pretty much do that (i.e., run it out the rear), then I will opt for the v-tail.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:09 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

FS, let me know how you did it, if you can conceal the linkage! I haven't tried to yet. I foresee the need to get some 2 -56 ball links though.......