Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Finally picked up my Sure Start engines

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Finally picked up my Sure Start engines

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 12:18 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Finally picked up my Sure Start engines

I finally got some time to go down to Washington state and visit my buddy that was nice enough to order my engines for me. Some of you may remember that Cox would not ship these sale priced engines to Canada.

Curiosity got the better of me so I took 5 minutes to strip one down and see what's what. I was happy to find that the choke tube is an optional bit that is easily removed. I was also surprised to see that the dual bypass ports also have an extra groove up one side similar to the two extra grooves in a TeeDee's porting. I would imagine that will offer up some extra power. I'm not sure what to make of the metal reed. I may try a mylar one to see if the lighter weight helps at all.

The conrod socket on this one example was OK. Not great, and would benifit from some tightening but hardly a bad fit. What did surprise me is that the piston and cylinder is a bit of a scuffy fit. I think it would take a good long breakin to make this one fit decently.

I think I'm going to take them all apart and mix and match to get the best fits from them and with the ones left over I'll look at making a cylinder lap to ease the fit a little before running. And obviously I'll exercise my conrod tool set to make all the sockets fit nicely.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:05 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Finally picked up my Sure Start engines

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

I was happy to find that the choke tube is an optional bit that is easily removed.

YMMV, but on mine, with the choke tube removed, the backplate screws bottomed out before snugging up the plate and needed to be shortened slightly.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:12 PM
burtcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bruce: I myself like the choking tube but thats me. If you are coming to the NW Champs at the end of the month I'll bring my secret lapping stuff and we can clean the cylinder/piston fit up. If you can wait. I also aquired a stash of Wedding Bubbles, I bring some.

If you want to let that engine really bark (18000+), treat it to a Galbrathe head and Nelson glowplug. Your a big boy, pick your own props.

Regards - Steve B.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:18 PM
BMatthews

Steve, it'll have to wait for the SPOT meet. I've got a motorcycle race that weekend.

I don't doubt that with that porting this engine will bark. Should be just the thing for my Dakota.....
Old 08-09-2005, 11:35 PM
burtcs

Bruce: SPOT it is then. Don't put one of these things on your Dakota, you'll just tear the wings off. Besides you need one of the old NFFS legal 1/2A's for that.

Oh yea, bring your 1/2A texaco.

Regards - Steve B.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:56 PM
flying poodle

I hate to to interupt, but what class do you race in bruce?
I don't want to hijack this thread, but it seems many of the people on the 1/2 a forum also ride.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:26 PM
BMatthews

ORIGINAL: flying poodle

I hate to to interupt, but what class do you race in bruce?
I don't want to hijack this thread, but it seems many of the people on the 1/2 a forum also ride.
PM'd ya. Otherwise we'll be off onto a 5 page motorcycle tangent....