Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Cox Texaco vs Big Mig Start-up

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox Texaco vs Big Mig Start-up

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 01:37 PM
Hueydriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cox Texaco vs Big Mig Start-up

I know this must have been debated before, but I'm about to build a Funaero "Bookaty" 48" w/s powered sailpalne and was wondering if y'all have opinions (there's a loaded question). I've flown a lot of Cox products. but never the Texaco and have never flown a Norvell engine. Looking for reliability to pull the ship to altitude for some thermal hunting on ruddr/elevator only.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:48 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Cox Texaco vs Big Mig Start-up

A 48" sailplane ain't too big! The texaco might be enough, but the big mig would almost certainly be too much.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:17 AM
Strat2003
My Feedback: (1)

We do an annual 2M sailplane contest with seperate classes for the Startup and large-tank Texaco. Performance seems to be pretty close. Gentle Ladies are the most common airplanes, either in stock form or in lightened versions.
I think the Norvel is better, but a lot of the guys haven't figured out quite how to use them and are more familliar with Coxes. Either entine is capable of getting the airplane to good altitude, so your 48" glider would get WAY up there!
Old 08-12-2005, 07:33 AM
JimTrainor

I use a pod mounted Norvel 0.061 BigMig with a Sig Riser. The all up weight is 35 ounces. I run the engines with Omega 10% fuel, an APC 6x2 prop, and one head shim. The engines runs for about 2 minutes (a guess, I haven't measured) and has no problem pulling the plane. It climbs at about 15-20 degrees and gets up to a few hundred feet easily.

I suspect that there is more performance to be had if I optimize the fuel/prop set up.

Based on that, I'd expect a light 48" glider to do really (really, really) well. At least for the climb. You have all that drag to deal with on the way back down, however.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:51 AM
Hueydriver

The model actually has a very low aspect ratio wing for a powered glider, but will probably turn out to be very light (laser cut, lightening holes etc.) I suspect it will climb quite nicely on the wing, but is draggy enuff to keep the airspeed down. I have a Cox Texaco still in the box and will probably give it a shot. Here's a link to the kit.. http://funaero.com/bookaty.htm
Old 08-12-2005, 09:08 AM
ptulmer

Whew, that's a pretty big plane. Not quite a glider. The Norvel would probably fly it quite well. The Texaco should get it to altitude though. Hueydriver, did you get your package yet?
Old 08-12-2005, 10:56 AM
Hueydriver

Not yet...doesn't suprise me tho' as the postal connections at the border vary speed-wise. Funaero seems to have more than a few 1/2A birds on their website, but that big Albatross is a beaut!!
Old 08-12-2005, 11:24 AM
ptulmer

I met Mike Bell at the Southeast Model Show back in March. Seemed like a nice guy. He wanted to do my laser-cutting, but I didn't even break even at the show. So, it's been resting on the back burner. How does the kit look? Does it have alot of charring on the edges or incomplete burn-through? Keep in mind that no laser cutting is perfect, how do you like the kit?
Old 08-13-2005, 10:54 AM
Hueydriver

Patrick; Just framed up the tail feathers last nite....the cutting has some scorching on the lite ply fuse sides etc, but the balsa cutting is near perfect. Good grade of balsa throughout. The kit kinda reminds me of an A1 towline Free Flight glider in that the wing is lower aspect ratio for windy/gusty/thermally weather. Should have the rest of the machine framed up tomorrow. Highly recommended for the price....$35ish