Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

OK, not 1/2A but you might be interested in....

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

OK, not 1/2A but you might be interested in....

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 09:00 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK, not 1/2A but you might be interested in....

....the latest airplane out of the DICKEYBIRD Aviation hanger. It does have a 1/4A connection, however. I purposely finished the bare wood on the fuse with clear butyrate dope in case it didn't do well with electric power so that I could snatch out that stuff and put my best PeeWee .020 on it.

Daughter: Rachel, 12 yrs. old, red haired, feisty little critter. Not very stable, won't go where I point her.

Plane: Dave Robelen GWSport, scratch built from his plans, GWS LiteStick motor, GWS R-4P Rx, GWS 5A ESC, 7 cell 280 mah NiMH batt., Doculam covering, 228 sq. in, 7.4 oz. CNC cut ribs, wing tips, fuse bulkheads, V/stab, H/stab ribs, tips & elevator. Flies GREAT, very stable, goes right where I point her or will fly on her own. Rachel can now take off, fly around with very little help, even made 3 talked down "arrivals". I'm one proud poppa!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	31996_7026.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	20204  
Old 10-24-2002, 12:49 AM
mynameisAARON

Default COOL

Very nice Mr. Dickey! How could I get my paws on a set of plans for it? Was it published in an artical reciently? I'm a big fan of Robelen and all his designs...
Aaron
Old 10-24-2002, 02:05 AM
matchlessaero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Very Cool

Pretty little thing! (the airplane too!)

I wondered when you would get that airplane done. I cannot wait to see it fly in person. Does not sound like you will need to put that .020 in it.

See ya at the field.
Old 10-24-2002, 07:03 AM
fastlash
My Feedback: (7)

Default Hummm

She is a cutie, <the Daughter> the plane is just battery operated, you have one more year to teach her how to fly because at 13 she will only be interested in BOY"S, BOY"S and more BOY"S, AAHHHHH been their done that!!!!!!!! better start teaching her that boy's are evil little critters,, O-Yea how could you orphan that poor little pee wee .20 for a nicad like that, shame on you Dickybird, one more slip like that and you will be banished to the electric section, HEEH Heh hEh
Old 10-24-2002, 11:15 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Default Re: COOL

Originally posted by mynameisAARON
How could I get my paws on a set of plans for it? Was it published in an artical reciently? I'm a big fan of Robelen and all his designs
See http://www.rcstore.com/rs/general/li...d=35&catego=PL 3rd plan from bottom.

It was published in an early "Back Yard Flyer" magazine. In email correspondence with Dave R. a while back concerning airfoils for low speed, light wing loading aircraft, he sent me a pic of the GWSport he had just finished doing the article on and as soon as I saw it I decided to take the easy way out and just build his instead of designing my own. Good decision!! This thing flys GREAT! The force arrangement is spot on....power on, power off trim change is perfect, turns good, very stable. Plus, it looks like an airplane, not a stick with some 'ol slab wings patched on with the radio gear bubble-gummed on, hanging out in the breeze like most of the plethora of LiteStick motor powered designs out there!

fastlash: Yup, I was almost disappointed that it flew so great with electric power since I really have never done a decent r/c model for a PeeWee. Oh well, I will do one yet!

Hey Jeremy, do I need to do a Robelen stress test on my wing like you did? Probably not, eh? Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 10-24-2002, 11:55 PM
matchlessaero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yes, I think it.............

would be adviseable for you to do the Roebelen stress test..... :devious:

I don't think I will ever live that down, will I? hahahaha

Your plane really looks good. 7.4 oz's is pretty doggone light.
Will you have it at the field this weekend, or is it reserved for the little ballpark at the end of your street?

Signed
Matchlessaero
"Official Robelen Wing Stress Tester of the MPB"
Old 10-25-2002, 11:06 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Default Re: Yes, I think it.............

Originally posted by matchlessaero
Will you have it at the field this weekend, or is it reserved for the little ballpark at the end of your street?
BOTH! Weather permitting