Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Honking Hummer is Huge Hit

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Honking Hummer is Huge Hit

Old 08-21-2005, 10:10 PM
jiveturkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honking Hummer is Huge Hit

Todays post brought to you by the Letter "H" and the word "FUN"

The Sig hummer got its first taste of the Blue Yonder, and the Hummer loved it, as did a total of 3 pilots who took her up

only funny things was.....after what was the last flight, (plane landed,and engine throttle shut off- It seems the Norvel stopped at TDC, and exhibited "New Norvel" stuck piston syndrome!! by this time it had about 6 oz of fuel through it....not much, I realize. I used the Heat-gun on it at home, and it freed up.
"curious"... I wonder if it got to lean/hot when running.

Before flight, I took out 2 of the 3 head shims/gaskets, to run it on 15% nitro. it seemed to run better, after doing that - while we were getting it ready, on the bench.
I think I will take the advice given to run some higher nitro content fuel. Looks like time to do norvel fuel info search

P.S. to CombattPigg: we removed the _ead weight on the firewall....it was not needed.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:49 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Honking Hummer is Huge Hit

Nice going JT! Wasn't it a righteous feeling when you shed the *ead? Sounds like you might want to run extra castor, at least until the engine is so worn out that you don't care about it any more
Old 08-21-2005, 11:35 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: jiveturkey

......exhibited "New Norvel" stuck piston syndrome!! by this time it had about 6 oz of fuel through it....not much, I realize. I used the Heat-gun on it at home, and it freed up.
"curious"... I wonder if it got to lean/hot when running.
Hey JT --

Sounds like you had a good day of it -- the NORVEL and Hummer are a good combination. 6 oz. isn't much of a breakin for a tight NORVEL. Do like CP recommends and keep the castor content up -- if it's really tight (actually a good fit), you may need a quart or more before the engine really comes in. I had an engine that continued to improve thru 4 hours of running time at WOT (C/L version) and needled almost a full turn in from the initial setting.

NORVEL recommends that you get these engines into a 2 cycle quickly to bring up the heat, but keep it on the fat side until you get some time on it. Secondly, don't overprop the NORVELs since they perform better if turning up -- 6x3 is about the max. 5.75x3 down to even 5x3 is an acceptable prop.

Keep us posted on more flights.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:27 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So the question for the day is now...which is more fun a "Honking Hummer" or a "Humming Honker"?

George
Old 08-22-2005, 07:44 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: gcb

So the question for the day is now...which is more fun a "Honking Hummer" or a "Humming Honker"?

Hooo Ha -- it's awfully early in the morning, George. BTW, how's the weather up there on the east coast -- we're smack in the middle of dog days here.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:09 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: gcb

George
I try very hard to be clean minded in this "family friendly" forum! But you're KILLING ME![sm=stupid.gif]
Old 08-22-2005, 10:50 AM
jiveturkey

thanks for the advice. Am using 5x3 prop now. I do want to try a few others at some time, like the 5.75 or 6 x3.
I see that APC has a prop in this category, but it has the larger dia hole , I do wonder if there is an adapter.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:24 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

jive,

A piece of small fuel line over the screw does the trick.

Tim
Old 08-22-2005, 12:51 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

I figured you would like it. [sm=thumbup.gif]

My three were a blast... flew the wings right off one of 'em(literally!).
Old 08-22-2005, 09:35 PM
jiveturkey

ORIGINAL: Tim Wiltse-RCU

jive,

A piece of small fuel line over the screw does the trick.

Tim
Awesome It dont get any better than that!! thanks!
Old 08-23-2005, 08:13 AM
gcb

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

I try very hard to be clean minded in this "family friendly" forum! But you're KILLING ME![sm=stupid.gif]
OK, OK, get your mind back up in the air!

Hummer and Honker are both airplanes.

Honking = flying fast.

Humming = flying smooth.

Total = family friendly comments...(but I know what you were thinking! ).

George
Old 08-23-2005, 08:20 AM
gcb

ORIGINAL: Andrew
Hooo Ha -- it's awfully early in the morning, George. BTW, how's the weather up there on the east coast -- we're smack in the middle of dog days here.
Until yesterday it has been in the high 90's. I guess those are dog days too. We are now having a three or four day cooling spell.

George
Old 08-23-2005, 08:57 AM
BMB

Hello, I love my Hummer. It is such a stable airframe even though mine is nose heavy and very overweight with a .15 up front. The engine is a typhoon bought on E-Bay. After rebuilding and reworking the engine I have gotten 30,000 rpm on a 5.7 by 3 prop, and 27,500 on a 6 by 4 on the ground. These props sound a little small for this size engine but that is what the engine likes. In the air in a shallow dive the sound of 30,000 plus rpm is incredible, not to mention the speed. CWRR5, did you lose a wing in flight? I built the wing into the fuselage for extra strength. I think the tail might be a little weak for the speed and turning ability of my plane. I will probably rebuild the tail with thicker balsa soon.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67824.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	313958  
Old 08-23-2005, 09:25 AM
cwrr5

That one had been flown so much, and I guess it had gotten some fuel into the wood, that the wing pretty much disintegrated in a sharp pull up. I was trying to miss some bushes(and the ground) but the whole thing ended up hitting them anyway. Not much recognizeable left.

I always mount the wings with blind nuts and screws... I didn't do a hatch on top, as the wing was removeable for access to everything. It's a pretty solid little plane, but I tend to be very hard on them.

Ouch! That little prop on a .15! That must really get up and MOVE. [8D]
Old 08-23-2005, 12:10 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be on the Extreme Speed forum, not here!!!!

That is totally insane, I love it! And I thought I was being crazy many years ago with an OS .15 on a Sterling Mini Fledgling. Flew great until the elevator shredded off. THUD.

Mike D.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:24 PM
BMB

Actually, I did post information about my Hummer on the speed forum. I called it the world's fastest Hummer. Only a few replies though. I launch it at a 45 degree angle and it takes off like a little missile. With no throttle it is a wild 3 minute ride (2oz. tank). By the way, the engine (Typhoon) has to be one of the lightest .15's available making this combo possible.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:01 PM
jiveturkey

30K RPM.....yes, that must be awesome
Old 08-23-2005, 02:48 PM
cwrr5

That might be interesting with swept wings and a little more aerodynamic stab.... [X(]
Old 08-23-2005, 08:40 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

BMB, YOU ARE A GREAT MAN![X(] Now I know why APC puts such a huge hole in those 5.7x3 props, THEY DID IT FOR YOU!!! I can see now that we would get along just fine....no muffler, no throttle servo.......means........ MORE MONEY FOR BEER! But never drinking WHILE flying, only BETWEEN flights.