Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Reccommended needle setting on Cox .049

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Reccommended needle setting on Cox .049

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 02:53 PM
CJKling
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reccommended needle setting on Cox .049

Hey guys, got this engine from my grandfather a while ago, it is probably pushing 29-30 years old. Tore it apart, and had it running once, but couldn't seem to get it going again. What would you guys reccommend the needle be at? Again it is a cox .049 with fuel tank mounted to it, the glow head seems to be fine, should it glow bright orange when hooked up to the glow driver? Or should it just get hot. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:47 PM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Reccommended needle setting on Cox .049

It should glow brightly, the needle depends on the engine if its a reed (tanked) engine, then close the needle and open it up 2 to 3 turns and start from there,, if its a teedee it may take up to 5 turns open to start it...Rog
Old 09-24-2005, 04:34 PM
kdheath

A few thoughts from an old Cox driver:
What fuel are you running? Depending on nitro and the temperature, you may need to vary the number of head gaskets.
There might be a bit of crud in the needle valve assembly or fuel passage somewhere.
Put the battery on the glow plug, and just a drop of fuel in the exhaust and flip. If it starts, then quits, it may not be drawing fuel through the carb.
Did you install the tiny gasket between the backplate (the part with the needle valve in in) and the tank itself?
Once it starts, slowly turn the needle in. It will reach max RPM and start to slow down when too lean. So take it up to peak RPM and back off just a little.
They start easier with a spring starter, too.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:18 PM
CJKling

Thanks for the replys.....It is tanked, fuel is some type of cox fuel needle is nice and clean the gasket is in between the tank and crankcase, I just had it started today, then shut it off to talk to someone, then couldnt get it started again. I'm not sure if it was my glow driver dying, or my glow "plug". It has a spring start as well. I know about the needle setting and stuff, I had it humming nice today, just a tad rich, then shut it off by richening the needle a lot because I needed to talk to someone right away and couldn't contemplate a better way to stop it.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:59 AM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

recheck the glow head off the engine to check the "glow"... by opening the needle to kill the engine you are just drowning the glow element,, a good glow driver should burn it right off and fire up,. but the same is true of the element so it is 50/50 which is bad, if it was running (humming,?hmmm screaming I've heard but humming, a cox engine?) it should start right back but not at the same needle setting that you left it at , you may also need newer fresh fuel....Rog
Old 09-25-2005, 08:59 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The reed needs to be clean with no gummy junk on it to cause it to not flutter. It needs to be able to fully seat and unseat from the intake passageway. The needle valve body can accumulate gunk and junk also. I like to have a hypodermic syringe on hand to do pressure tests and pressure flushes to get fuel pumping. The original plastic fuel pick up line could also need to be changed out on your old engine as well as the O-ring that seals the intake passage from the fuel in the tank. While the engine is apart, might as well check the ball socket for any slop, you want zero slop there. If you get rid of all gunk, junk and slop, then it won't run like crap.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:51 AM
CJKling

Thanks guys, got it running again this morning, and yes, I meant screaming rather than humming. It is nowhere near its top rpm range though with fuel pusing ten years old, and an old origianl glow head on it. I get it started on the stand and then I'm kinda confused at to what I can do with it. I'm into .40-.80 size 2 & 4 stroke glow planes/engines and this thing seems so tiny. How would you guys reccommend killing it once i have it running? Hold my finger over the fuel vent? Not sure, thanks for all of the suggestions, the needle setting was at about 2 1/2 when it started by the way. Thanks again.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:07 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Just throw a rag into the prop. I also will pinch the spinner with my thumb and fore finger to stop it on a backwards run. Plugging the vent will eventually kill it too.

Oh ya, almost forgot, you can keep a package of cheap hotdogs on hand to kill run away .049s with. Sounds like your engine would have a rough time conquering a vienna sausage?