Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

WEST COAST RACING REPORT

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

WEST COAST RACING REPORT

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 10:36 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default WEST COAST RACING REPORT

SCUDRUNNER and I just got done with a full day of thrashing, slashing and crashing in ARLINGTON WA. today. We set up 20 foot poles made out of 1 1/4" thin wall PVC at 70 paces apart, about 200 feet. The ANNHILATOR put in some pretty fast laps with a product engine and 4.2x4 prop. After a few flights, and one slightly ugly landing, I let SR77 fly it and he ripped the wing out of the fuselage! Actually, the wing hold down block failed because of my hasty repair work. Next up was the GLHSWR with a TD and 4.2x4 prop. It had more power than the product engine did that was on the ANNHILATOR, but the larger and heavier plane was noticeably slower. It tracked well during the laps, but disaster struck again at the hands of SR77! But again it wasn't his fault, it was equipment failure. The main event was to see how well the GZSWR could wrap itself around the poles. It checked in at 32,000 with a 4.25x5 ELIMINATOR prop. The mathematical speed figure is 151 mph and it seemed to be doing most of that. This was done on 15% nitro. At 15 ozs, it was easy to be late on the turns, but it did OK. Definately more of a straight line set up. SR77 flew it and seemed right at home with it, he even yawned when he passed the radio back to me. Then it was time to bring out the DNU with a product engine and 6x3 prop against SR77s' PITBULL with an AP .061 and 6x3. We got some good racing in like this, but the 6x3 props held the speed down to a fairly boring and un racer like pace. We switched to 5x3s and the action got more lively and fun. The planes are easier to fly good laps with when they are flying a little bit faster too. The last 1/2A plane out of the chute was the FORA STANG, and at 11 ozs it might give up 15 mph to the GZ plane, but this plane was clearly the best racer. It was dialed in like a freight train. SR77 flew it and was almost, but not quite impressed with it too. I managed to melt down a GWS RX, it actually had a flame coming off the circuit card and got another one to produce some unscheduled manuevers in a 130 mph DIAMOND DUST, so My one day fling with GWS RXs is over. Time to get that BERG job. All in all it was a great day at the field, thanks to the MOOSEHEAD LAGER company, all the losses seem insignificant and my toothache went away, too. SR77 got some video of the action, hope to see it soon.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:43 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: WEST COAST RACING REPORT

You will feel even better if you switch to CC
Old 09-25-2005, 02:15 AM
scudrunner77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea we banged them up pretty good. One nice thing though was that none of it was my stuff! I know that's messed up. You forgot one though.... remember the Mini Dust. Just so you all know they bounce quite well! But even after putting a few of CP's planes into the ground he urged me to fly the real fast ones. Thanks for pushing me..... What a rush. Now if I can only convince the wife I NEED to spend $200 on an engine! Here are some pictures of the carnage... Still can't believe all the flying we got in considering all the broken stuff.

BTW- CP's description of the Mustang is so true. I could not believe how straight it tracks...its perfect. Good job on that one!

I try and a the video hashed out soon.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55146.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	328830   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90656.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	328831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48692.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	328832   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl27500.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	328833   Click image for larger version

Name:	It10623.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	328834  
Old 09-25-2005, 05:06 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Moosehead? CC? You guys like the fancy imported stuff, eh?
Old 09-25-2005, 06:41 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

That picture of the GWS receiver smoking is gonna be a classic.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:25 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a great picture!! Dang CP sounds like one of my days of flying/crashing ..I have the same 2 starters you have too, but your tower hobbies starter looks like it might have a few more years on it than mine.....just this morning I went to fly the tiger 400 parkflyer ,,I only went 2 blocks away to the school yard,,I used tape to hold down the canopy which is recommended but not a great idea and the double sided tape allowed the battery to tumble right out of the canopy while I was taxi-ing across the black top!....nope no way I'm tryin this so I packed it up and took it home....good thing I DIDNT toss it into the wind like I almost did yesterday...I have crashed/rough landed the warboar many times and it shows but not as hard as yours hit, never had a plane get the tank knocked out of it before!!...good to hear about the mustang though..sounds like it was a good time anyway...Rog
Old 09-25-2005, 08:44 AM
combatpigg

Yes ANDREW, CANADIAN BEER takes a back seat to none! MOOSEHEAD goes down almost too easy, it is a must try for LAGER LOVERS out there. We also had DUTCH BREW as a back up, but the CANADIAN held down the fort OK.
ROG, the wing floated down nice and gently at least. The crash survey crew spent more time looking for the battery and RX than anything else. The fuselage was traveling on it's own, like a spear for a couple of hundred feet. Patrick, do you think I can black mail GWS [with those photos] into giving me their top secret line of micro gear that is designed to never fail?
Old 09-25-2005, 09:31 PM
flyswatter

cp & scud:

Good report guys! It sounds like you had a great day. Sorry about the mechanical and electrical failures. Can not wait to see the video.

Too bad you can't be in NC next weekend, I think we are going to have some fun. I am pretty sure you would be welcome if you brought some of that Moosehead!
Old 09-25-2005, 09:56 PM
scudrunner77

You guys go in on the airfare and I'll make sure there is plenty of Moosehead to go around!
Old 09-25-2005, 10:47 PM
combatpigg

SR77, what would you say our lap times were with the 6x3 props? It seemed like about 10 seconds or so. A fairly clean lap for us is probably 600 feet, so I guess we were doing about 45 mph, and taching about 15 to 16,000 rpm.
Next time we race, I hope to have another couple of local guys give it a whirl, plus I think it's high time to make a poster to hang at some of the hobby shops. Any progress on your racer? The ANNHILATOR will be an easy fix, just build a new front end. Got to box up a bunch of electronic stuff for warrantee work and track down those lithium cells. If I could get a battery for $2 that would give 30 minutes of flight time, and weighed less than half of what a 150 mil pack weighs, then I would go for it, just for the racers.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:17 AM
scudrunner77

Yea 10 seconds sounds about right, but we had those polls at 200ft. How did you come up with 600? 200 per leg and then 100 per turn? I'm sure that time you hit the guy wire didn't take you 100 ft! Today was too busy for me to get into my racer.(I need a name for that thing). Anyways... I need some servo's. I guess I can take the servo's out of my combat wing for now. Flying that wing around the course was such a snoozer...

That would be great to get more people out there racing. Last time I talked to the PROPS club president he said they were interested in some off season 1/2a racing. Might be worth getting in touch with him. http://nwprops.com/llp.cfm?Page=Home

Glad you can fix the Annhilator. I think it was one of the better planes around the course for sure.

What are these lithium batteries your trying to find?
Old 09-26-2005, 08:51 AM
combatpigg

I'm not sure what their ampacity is, but these batteries are about an inch long and 1/4" round. I think they are for cameras. I figured our lap distance on a 30 foot semi circle at the end of each straight away, which rounds off to roughly a 100 foot turn at the end of each straight. As the skill level goes up, and the planes get dialed in, then we'll be trimming more distance away from our average laps, down to more like 410 feet
Old 09-26-2005, 10:10 PM
scudrunner77

Are you looking for something like this. I can see the advantage at 3.0v .... you only need two cells. I think this one it too big, it's more like 1.25 x .50, but some smaller ones might work perfect... My bet is that they are not cheap.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93707.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	329787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72275.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	329788  
Old 09-26-2005, 10:24 PM
combatpigg

That's the size of it, but what I used to use is the DURACELL 6 volt lithium, stock number PX28LB. I have found some sources of this cell from a quick google, and the price ranged from $10 down to $6 at BUY.COM. You can get "20 packs" of the 3volt variety for just about $1.05 per cell[&o], but it doesn't do us any good to run 2 of those cells. When I ran these 6 volt cells, it was 15 years ago, and they were about 6 or 7 bucks at the drug store back then. Back then some of us local yokels were having a "space race" to get a TD powered RC plane with unlimited vertical. I don't recall any of us guys with anything less than a 270 nicad in our possession, so the 6 VOLT was considered TOP SECRET for at least a couple of flights before they beat the truth out of me.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:57 PM
scudrunner77

I found this,

http://www.pkelektronik.com/Download...L/15031679.pdf
Old 10-23-2005, 07:23 PM
combatpigg

SR77, I couldn't open that file, to take a look. I think I'm back to plan B, which is to order a bunch of 150 ma cells from cheapbatteries.com. My job has taken time away from working on promoting 1/2A racing around here. I figure a slick poster and a couple of demo models at the LHS might drum up some business. Sending flyers out to the local clubs would get some response too. I have no idea when work will allow me enough time to even check how much oil is in my car, let alone all this other stuff[]! First you lure them in with some harmless racing, then once you get them hooked, it's time to bring out THE HARD STUFF [streamers].
Old 10-24-2005, 12:44 AM
scudrunner77

ORIGINAL: combatpigg
First you lure them in with some harmless racing, then once you get them hooked, it's time to bring out THE HARD STUFF [streamers].
That's pretty funny... Good thing you clearified that. I was going to bring Jack Daniels[sm=bananahead.gif]

That would be great to get some others out there. Let me know if I can help out at all. I'm curious what my SWR will do with the Big Mig. That might be the ticket get others interested. A Fora will be too much $$$ to suck people in and most people have a hard time with 1/2a and laugh when you say "COX". I understand about being too busy to do much right now... take work and add two rugrats to the equation. Like I have to tell you... you've been there. Sat would have been a perfect day to fly... but I was flying solo with the kids.. Trust me the thought of making a run to Arlington with them went through my mind. My daughter would have unloaded our flight boxes with out backs to her in just one flight.. She loves planes though..! She's my girl!

Just wondering how this battery pack compares to the 150ma? http://slofly.com/cart/product_info....products_id=45

You need Adobe Acrobat Reader to open that link... I think it's free to download.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:40 AM
ptulmer

Scud, I like this one. It makes two batteries weighing quite a bit less than an ounce each.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGBL7&P=0
Old 10-24-2005, 09:25 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like that battery scudrunner found better....just add a connector? $3! thats a good buy...Rog
Old 10-24-2005, 01:01 PM
ptulmer

Rog, that's a good buy alright. If you don't want to save a half-ounce in weight! Since there's no solder joints, it's a nice replacement for my 300mah nimh packs that I soldered up. (never will trust anything I solder!)
Now, don't get touchy, they were talking about lightweight batteries. So I just pointed out a cheap source for small(er) nimh's.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:07 PM
combatpigg

That 220 ma pack looks hard to beat. Now if you ask me, the industry has their plug end terminology bassackwards. They refer to the battery and servo plugs ends as the male, right? I see those gold plated prongs that stick out of the RX as being male, and the servo and battery ends, which are hollow, as the female recepticles. Please, can someone straighten me out here?

BTW, saving a 1/2 oz for a buck is a steal[8D]! I wish all compromises were so easy.

GWS sent me a note saying that, " After our technician inspection, one of the receivers is with right condition, and the other one and the servo are both bad". Boy, I sure am glad I had them check it out, can't wait to get the good one back so I can fly the MUSTANG with it! I can just picture their tech dept., probably a couple of 10 year olds that get paid with pizza and coke to hang out and plug returned merchandise into their RC cars to see what works and what doesn't. I told them to keep both RXs, cuz if they return the "good" one, I might end up [stupidly] using it and crashing another plane.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:53 PM
scudrunner77

PT thanks for showing me those batts... unless I have to have something else from tower I might go with the ones I found just cause I also want to order something else from them. Those batts would be a huge improvement over my 700mah packs I use now. Oh and that something I want to order is one of those build it yourself brushless motors kits... I know I'm talking dirty now.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:06 PM
scudrunner77

That debate goes on in the automotive world too.. I refer to them separately... the male and female plastic connectors, and the male and female metal wire ends...but still no one seems to know what I'm talking about... not even me.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

If I remember right it seems to me that the only plane that for sure crashed because for the GWS RX was the delta.. I'm wondering if it just go too far away. I found the specs and the 4 channel has a 500ft range but the 6 channel is 1000ft. Just a thought...
Old 10-27-2005, 09:36 AM
ptulmer

CP, the rule-of-thumb for determining whether a plug is male or female is to look at the outside of it. What makes a battery plug male is the it goes "into" the mating plug (and most "normal" receivers). Pins don't matter. Silly, huh? That ROT works for communication equipment. No guarantees anywhere else in life.

Scuddy, that's a fantastic battery for everyday use. I like the motors too...
Old 10-27-2005, 09:06 PM
combatpigg

Thanks for straightening me out, as usual I see things in reverse. If I had it my way, RXs would come with hard wired pig tails that I could splice into. I'll take a twisted "union splice" anyday over the attachment cord and recepticle pin deal. It would make swapping RXs a chore, but for some aircraft where the integrity of the connections can't be questioned, I sure would prefer a wire to wire splice.