Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Sheet Wing Racer

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 08:20 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sheet Wing Racer

If I start now I may have one ready for the May reedy race...got the wing cut out, belt sander died on me dangit!..anyway ,,new fangled plywood motormount (designed but not made yet)
for a product engine, ...carbon fiber arrow shaft fuselage, aileron-elevator....too many projects ahead of this one for a thread just yet.....Rog
Old 10-10-2005, 04:35 AM
BANJOAIRPLANE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sheet Wing Racer

Break out the sandpaper and block![X(]Don't ya just hate when that happens?
Old 10-10-2005, 08:19 AM
dieFluggeister

We already talking about a new race? Cool! Dont suppose y'all want to come to Minnesota in May, do ya?
Old 10-10-2005, 08:38 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Rog,

I am already sanding on my new racer too(1 of many!!!!). I got the parts to make up a fuel bladder thanks to BobHH and Larry Driskill so this one is going to be Sniper DR .049 powered. I don't have any real plans for it just cutting and sanding as I go for now. I'll just post a picture when it's finished.

Later,
Tim
Old 10-18-2005, 07:25 AM
flyinrog

I went CP on sunday and just started to fit things together on the Carbon Express, monday the servo's came in the mail so I put those in last night ,,I took it to work so I could get a weight on it ,,well it came out a little heavy 7.4 oz,,and I still have to add the great planes rx and the control rods,,I do have a smaller battery I can try, and I looked at some of those small batteries for cameras that are 3 volt but the battery that I had is what I used to balance the plane...I will try and get to my friend with the digi cam so ya'll can see it maybe tomorrow it is 23" from prop screw to elevator tip and the same for the wingspan ...the rx will add 10 grams -.35 oz,,the battery is almost an oz by itself ,so if I can get the smaller one to balance I may be able to have a sub 7 oz racer!!
DANGIT CP now look what you've done, got me hooked on speed,,oh well I have all the stuff so its a cheap thrill...the next one on the board is half built too, it is a former project resurrected to the Shark Hunter it has a 14" fuse and 23" wing another 2 channel with a bw so both of these will be reedy race ready ....Rog
Old 10-18-2005, 08:46 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Sounds like you're steaming along real good, ROG! Speed, combat, 3D, we are in the golden age of 1/2A right now.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:33 AM
flyinrog

C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\073RY451\MVC_002S[1].JPG

should be a pic of my plane....ok it works if you copy and paste it to the search engine and go,purple stick plane, servos on top, product engine, .6 oz tank ,,battery and rx under wing..Rog

hmmm thought I could make it a link? anyway it is 7.5 oz,,I could have cut some wood out of the wing, but it is my first design of this type and it hasnt flown yet,,prototype dont ya know...
Old 10-19-2005, 11:16 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Rog,

Hey it sounds real good*, 7.5oz is nothing to shake a stick at!!! Do you cover the servo's with anything so oil doesn't get in them?

Later,
Tim

* Good enough to turn into toothpicks!
Old 10-19-2005, 11:48 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Rog, back in the flurry of cheap Kamdax jets, someone came up with the idea of sliding a balloon over the servo to keep oil out. You can slide it from the bottom all the way to the tip of the control horn. I haven't tried it yet, but Tim stirred what's left of my brain cells.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:54 PM
flyswatter

pt, I did not use a balloon to cover my Kamdax fan servo. I used a plain prophylactic. I cut a small slice in the end. I passed the servo horn through the hole and fit the body of the servo inside. It was light and it fit tight (no jokes please) and the oily exhaust residue stayed out!
Old 10-19-2005, 04:21 PM
flyinrog

I started to use the corner of some baggies to cover them, but didnt have any on me at the time, I did put the batt and rx under the wing ,but I think most of the exhaust goo will end up above the wing,,,anyway it still needs a test flight...maybe friday if I'm lucky...I have a date tomorrow night....Rog
Old 10-19-2005, 09:07 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

(no jokes please)
I thought the idea was to keep the goo inside[X(] I couldn't help myself.[&o]
Old 10-19-2005, 09:10 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Good one Vic! I've been racking my brain all day for something funny. I don't think there's much left up there!
Old 10-19-2005, 09:17 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Vic,

That's sick ......funny as heck but gross!

PT,

I am having one of those weeks too!

Rog,

Go get em' brother!

Later,
Tim
Old 10-19-2005, 10:29 PM
flyswatter

Vic has been corrupted by pt. Gee wiz, I am disappointed. I was so happy that pt hadn't sent through some sort of juvenile humor - then I get blindsided by Vic. [X(] From now on, I am going to keep my ideas to myself.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:08 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude you really need some extra modelling money if that was the how extreme you go for building material[X(]! I like building and all but I am not quite ready to trade one for the other yet.[sm=surprised.gif]
Old 10-20-2005, 09:21 AM
flyinrog

If you Children are quite through.....the carbon express bit the wet grass today on the 3rd and final launch after 2 events of flying to the (not into) the ground,,it had plenty of power, but it needed speed in order to respond, at least thats what I think it needed...any way the the shaft broke dead in the middle behind the wing,,onto the next build..on the other end the BIG BOAR had its maiden today to and flew great, a tad twitchy and I didnt realize just how much one side of a plane needed identification more than I did today..I could only tell if the tail was up!! I need markings before it flys again!! plenty of power for straight loops,great climb but I couldnt really test it as I couldnt tell which side was up when it got too far out which didnt take long...this is the plane I build for BANJOAIRPLANE, he came to the reedy race/funfly...btw for the May meet I am thinking of letting in electrics for the funfly, obviously not the race,, of course we didnt really have any events this last time,just plenty of fun!...Rog
Old 10-20-2005, 10:28 AM
flyswatter

rog: Sorry about the CE. Glad BB went good - it is nothing like a successful maiden. A successful maiden flight always makes me feel like I just might know what the heck I am doing! You are right though, it is very hard to fly these planes if you can't see 'em. I have a real hard time flying at about dusk when (no matter the colors on the plane) the plane looks to me to be black from every angle![X(]
Old 10-22-2005, 08:37 AM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: flyswatter

rog: Sorry about the CE. Glad BB went good - it is nothing like a successful maiden. A successful maiden flight always makes me feel like I just might know what the heck I am doing! You are right though, it is very hard to fly these planes if you can't see 'em. I have a real hard time flying at about dusk when (no matter the colors on the plane) the plane looks to me to be black from every angle![X(]
Thanks FS and your right, I took CP's plane increased the size, basically doubled the engine and ran with it (big boar) and it was great to see it fly,,I've had my share of crashes the first time out,,so anyway the Shark Hunter as I said is a revived project,,about a year ago I built a littlest stick fuse out of 1/8 plywood to hold an .049 well the wing wouldnt hold up for me,,and as I watched deadstick power his around the reedy race I remembered mine so now its a sheet wing on a ply LS ,got the radio stuff out of the carbon express ready to transplant to the SH hopefully during next week --weather permitting...Rog
Old 10-23-2005, 12:01 PM
flyinrog

This one is heavier, the shark hunter has R/E/A 320 batt and a volt watch and weighs in at 9 oz with a BW .049,,I spent alittle more time on the covering too, the only problem so far is hinging the elevator to the tail, the ca hinges wont work right (ply) so I guess I'll have to dig out a spot for them underneath and use a bit more gap,,I may go with out rudder to reduce weight..?hopefully get a pic up (before) and a test flight in...Rog
Old 10-28-2005, 07:07 AM
flyinrog

C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\CT0HQ7SD\file[1].bin

not sure if this will link up or not, it should c & paste anyway,someone let me know, this is the shark hunter (yeah I know there's no such thing) I found a pic of a cartoon shark and made a decal from it,,it was taken from a cell phone by a girl at work so its not a great pic....but my buddy with the digi cam is off deep sea fishing and auto racing this weekend the poor guy.(he races miata's at VIR...Rog

dont know why it wont link?,,and no the control horns arent magically suspended in air the ailerons are dark blue and run the length of the wing ,but there are no control linkages yet...

here
Old 10-28-2005, 10:22 AM
BANJOAIRPLANE

[:-]Hey Rog,nothing showing in way of pics from your url.What time are you going out to Copperhead tomorrow?Have I got a racer ready yet?I stuck some money back in my wallet for you.I am going to watch a little pattern then I am off to Snow Camp to fly,I hope I see ya!Hey,I flew a Sig Something Extra and a Super Sportster this week,both taildraggers.My first![X(]
Old 10-29-2005, 01:47 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Gentlemen, be afraid - be VERY afraid.

When Spring comes to central North Carolina, the air will likely be ripped apart by Rog's SWR and his competition will tremble with Shick 'n Awe. Check it out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91644.gif
Views:	11
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	345662  
Old 10-29-2005, 03:21 PM
flyinrog

Thanks for posting that for me Ray..the pic is from a cell phone that a girl at work had, so its not the best quality,,I guess if I ever buy a digi cam I'll have to figure out how to do this picture thing...Rog
Hope to test fly it in a day or two
Old 10-29-2005, 08:56 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

WOW! ROG, that sure looks TINY! The search for the ultimate SWR goes on................R&D efforts going on around the clock from coast to coast and possibly over seas.
Could be that at any given time, someone somewhere on this globe is carving a solid sheet winged plane for one of those $7 engines

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.