Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

glow conversion????

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

glow conversion????

Old 11-01-2002, 03:18 AM
rc.hackmaster
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glow conversion????

hey guys, new here. just wanting to know if anybody has converted a wattage xtra 330l to glow power. the guys at my feild think a .10 would be more than enough power. what do you guys think.. or does any body know anyone who has converted to glow? thanks the hackmaster
Old 11-01-2002, 04:28 AM
rahtware

What about the CG? A glow plane is designed to carry its weight on the nose, an E-plane carries its weight in its belly.

I don't think you need to use a .09. A strong .061 would be lighter and with the right prop it should fly better than with E-power.

Lastly, why change? Do you really want to have to deal with all that mess?
Old 11-01-2002, 03:11 PM
Digger-RCU

Now now Larry, Walk softly through the vally of motor-heads lest the natives shoot old glow plugs at you with their fuel line sling-shots. We may stink of castor-oil, make far too much noise, and require extensive clean-up, but we're crochity and dont want to change. (GRIN)

Randy (Digger) Birt
Old 11-01-2002, 03:45 PM
tanzanos

Hear! Hear!

If it smells, makes a racket, smokes, and occasionally cuts a finger then you know you are in the right hobby. Personally I prefer to use electricity to run my house!

Bu in all fairness Electrics can be a lot of fun!
Old 11-02-2002, 06:21 AM
rahtware

Sitting here reading your posts I look down at what used to be perfectly white sneakers (I prefer black, but the only thing that I can get in a 6E is white). I notice that the tongue on the right one is much darker than the left... and it has a slight sent of glow fuel.

Yes it is true, I too love the scream of a two stroke or the whir of a four. BUT, I also enjoy the early morning flights across the street from my house. With E-power, the only one I disturb is the stray deer stealing apples from my neighbor.

I just can't see ruining a perfectly good E-plane. (Although, I did slap a 15 on an ECub. But it was way too heavy to fly under E-power.) Just as I think that it is nuts to try to convert a great flying fueley to E-power... unless it is light with lots of wing area.
Old 11-04-2002, 04:48 AM
rc.hackmaster
My Feedback: (4)

allright i dont shoot old glow plugs, there to small and dont do much damage. i shoot old motors with my fuel line sling shot! thanks for the comments, think i will keep it e-power, for now!
hackmaster
Old 11-04-2002, 05:47 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of the nicest planes I have ever owned were electrics converted to glow. Good e airframes are light, with a lot of area, and they tend to come out even lighter with glow.
I was looking at the same exact plane, the Extra. I was thinking an 06 would be plenty...
Old 11-04-2002, 05:52 AM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

Somebody on Ezone converted this plane using a .074 (Norvel?) with great results. This plane is a nice flyer at 27 oz., but the Norvel conversion plane weighed 17oz. I imagine the plane was outstanding at that weight.

BTW, I wish it was available without the power system, like the Crazy-8, for those of us who would consider the glow conversion.

Brett