Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Free Skylane42 plans

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Free Skylane42 plans

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 11:38 AM
skylane42
My Feedback: (53)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Free Skylane42 plans

If you are interested in scratch building a modified version of the Goldberg Skylane 42 I have plans and instructions that I will email you for the asking. All I ask, if possible is that you post your construction and/or completed plane pics. Just email me with a request.

[email protected]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43075.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	339878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88119.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	339879  
Old 10-17-2005, 05:52 PM
phuffstatler
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Free Skylane42 plans

Click, done! I'm glad to see the 42 done up in balsa... I've never been able to get a hold of the original foamie version, at least at a price I was willing to pay....

Be smooth,
phil in georgetown
Old 10-17-2005, 09:36 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Bill, that's a really nice plan! Did you draw it in pencil and have somebody scan it? Some things on the plan look "pencil-ly". Either way, super-nice job!
Old 10-17-2005, 10:58 PM
Balsa Master

wow... ive been doing CAD for 5 years now and drafting my hand before that... those are very well drawn plans... props for haveing the patients to pencil all that in there!
Old 10-18-2005, 09:30 AM
skylane42

Yes the plans are hand drawn. The parts are traced from the parts from the final plane. So, the cut line should be on the inside of the outline. If you want to see what my final plane looks like, just visit my homepage. The proto was covered with Monokote and powered by a Cox Med .09 and 2 channel, elevator and rudder. Flying weight was 27 ounces. The parts are not hard to cut except the ribs are kind of a pain and the cabin side is somewhat tricky. The instructions that come with the plans call for the F-1 firewll to be cut from lite-ply. Don`t use the lite-ply for the F-1, use 1/4 Aircraft ply.

homepage
http://members.aol.com/skylane42/index.html
Old 10-18-2005, 11:38 AM
injunnut1

Hello Bill,
I have received the plan files, Thanks Much. I do have one question at this time though ..... I see that you opted to use a flat sheet stab / elevator assembly as opposed to Carl's original air-foiled stab set-up ...... besides the obvious fact that it is much simpler and easier construction can you explain why you chose to change to the flat stab and perhaps give us the pro and con on these two types of stab geometries? Do you notice any difference at all one way or the other in the flying characteristics? Thanks Again! I also invite other's feedback on the stab geometry issues ..... what did Carl Goldberg see in the air-foiled stabs of which he incorporated into all of his earlier classic RC designs (the various Falcons, Skylarks, and Skylanes)?
Old 10-18-2005, 01:06 PM
skylane42

I used the flat airfoil for simplicity. I did not notice any difference in flying the plane. Since the original was also intended for single channel or freeflight and incorporated a rubberband held stab for adjustment I can only assume that the lifting airfoil stab had advantages for the FF and single channel versions of all the designs you mention.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:43 AM
skylane42

About the Horizontal Stab.. I started a thread in the Aerodynamics section about lifting stabs to answer a question.. you could check it out, very interesting.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3472741/tm.htm

Also a flying note.. ALL of the 4 scratch built planes from these plans that I built needed slight right rudder trim and some down elevator trim. You might want to set up for the first flight with this already preset.