Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Mini Funtana and OS FS-20

Old 10-21-2005, 08:00 PM
KEITH RUSH
My Feedback: (42)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Mini Funtana and OS FS-20

I have a Mini Funtana that I want to convert to glow and I ran on a pretty good deal for a OS FS-20 NIB. Those of you that have converted this plane, do you think this would be a good engine for it. The weight is 9.2 ounces. Any feed back would be good. I would rather have a 30 but when I can get the 20 for $60 bucks less and NIB, I would like to go that route as long as it would fly it 3D.

Thanks,

Keith
Old 10-21-2005, 10:47 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Mini Funtana and OS FS-20

I didn't realize that there was a .20 FS? I wonder if it could hover its' own weight? You could run it in a vertical jig with X amount of weight attached to see exactly what kind of thrust it puts out. True 3D requires about 2:1.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:53 PM
BMatthews

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yep, they did do the 20FS. I have one NIB as well. It's trully a jewel of an engine. And you're right about doubting it's ability to hover it's own weight let along a model. Eagle, if you have the stuff giver 'er a try but if you have to buy the engine to do this with an OS 15LA 2 stroke or a Norvel 074 or similar is a far better option.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:09 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I took a wild guess, and plugged a 8x3 prop in at 11,000 rpm. I came up with about 24 ozs of thrust. If the RTF plane weighs much more than 20 ozs, then you should practice your hovering at no less than 100 feet up.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:40 PM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Fella's,
Before you deflower one of those NIB O.S. FS20's, do a little research on their value. These little jewels have become popular with the engine collectors. I do feel that engines were built to RUN and have FUN with, but I don't think there is really anything that the FS20 does particularly well. An FS26 or a Saito 30 probably weighs almost the same but has more power - and especially so the Saito. I think there may also be a four stroke Magnum .26 clone available too.

Arlen
Old 10-22-2005, 07:39 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Silvaire

Fella's,
Before you deflower one of those NIB O.S. FS20's, do a little research on their value. These little jewels have become popular with the engine collectors. I do feel that engines were built to RUN and have FUN with, but I don't think there is really anything that the FS20 does particularly well. An FS26 or a Saito 30 probably weighs almost the same but has more power - and especially so the Saito. I think there may also be a four stroke Magnum .26 clone available too.
I was going to say the same thing, although not as vividly as you. The FS26 is also no longer made, but the FS30 is a great little engine. Another option is the Magnum .30 4 stroke. According to the specs it's actually lighter than the OS, but a bit heavier than the Saito. The price is certainly better than either.

I'm 99% certain that if the OP does a search he will find some threads where people have put a .30 4 stroke in a mini-funtana. From what I remember, the results were positive. Every time I see one at the LHS I'm tempted to do this very thing.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:48 AM
Quicksdraw MaGraw
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Search the author 'idealer' he did it with a FS-26 and has several posts.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:56 AM
Bipe Flyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Buy the FS20, sell it on eBay, then buy a .30 and put a few bucks in your pocket.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:22 PM
BMatthews

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the info. Mine has never been run so I may just see if I can turn it into something else via a trade.