Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

elecric back yard flyer help

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

elecric back yard flyer help

Old 10-27-2005, 01:18 PM
dicknadine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default elecric back yard flyer help

hi guys. am ready to start flying again after Hurricane Katrina destruction. not ready to get back in giant scratch build yet. someplace on on of the forums they talked about an inexpensive electric flyer to start with. no prior electric experience, have trouble turning on the light switch. lost all of my RC equipment, so starting from scratch. NEED HELP. dick stamm
Old 10-27-2005, 02:36 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: elecric back yard flyer help

Dick, since you're here in the 1/2a forum, can I assume that a 1/2a engine might make an alternative? www.coxmodels.com has the Surestart Cox engines like those on the toys for seven bucks each! I know you like to scratch build, so look at one of my plans to get an idea of the size and weight that you want for good performance and build one from scratchquicker than you can build an electric ARF! (my site is www.ulmer-rc.com ) Not sure if this is what you want? PM me your address and I'll send you an engine and plans.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:52 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dick,

What type of plane are you looking for? I have some plans for a super solid F-18. Or if you like I can go dig thru some of my RC Scale mags for a plan.

Anything to help
Old 10-30-2005, 10:09 PM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This other forum is great for electrics-
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11

This plane is nice and very similar to a 1/2a plane should you wish to go to fuel power, this page lists all that would be needed for example to get flying..

http://www.stevensaero.com/cart/cart...category_id=56

Stevens aero makes smaller planes too, if that one is too big for your planned flying spot..
Old 10-30-2005, 11:51 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Dick, if you're not set up with the batteries and chargers there's a fair amount of nonsense required to get set up to fly electric unless you just get one of those "toys" that comes with everything. But I would imagine that you'd get bored with that pretty quick.

I know I picked up a Lite Stik a few years back because it was on sale at a show and was just a few bucks more than the cost of the motor alone. And with all the glowing reviews of it on the 'net I figured it would be good to get a baseline of what is considered "good". Frankly it was a BIG dissapointment. Even with some mods to improve it the flying was still about as exciting as watching paint dry.

Frankly you'd be better off with a GWS of some form, a 1/2A engine and a new radio to replace at least the first of what you lost. Glue on a ply firewall and go fly.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:43 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Bruce, this looks like a good place to start a scratch build. What do you think of the power and run time? I think it should run all-out for four minutes. I'm working on a stik based around this setup. (hey, that's what stiks are for, right? Shop hacks!)

Oops, forgot the link!

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFAH8&P=0
Old 10-31-2005, 10:34 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I liked my Lite Stick[X(] it was alot of fun on the street in front of the house. I like the Tiger Moth better. Both are a hoot in the hood.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:25 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I know I'm mostly in the minority for not likeing th Lite Stick but it just didn't do it for me. I'd prefer something a bit "flit'ier" that'll snap off a rudder roll from just a short dive or spiral.

A guy at my Electric club used the same motor and make a built up wing and tail Stick with flat center and tip dihedral. It was also a fair bit smaller at 30'ish inches span and about 3/4 to an inch less chord. And a simple flat bottom wing and stick built tails. It flew like a dream and outperfomed the GWS offering in every way. Yet it would slow down for an approach and landing at a walking pace.