Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

In search of the 7oz racer...(or let's build a delta!)

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

In search of the 7oz racer...(or let's build a delta!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 11:21 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: In search of the 7oz racer...(or let's build a delta!)

Yes I am aware of that particular attribute myself commonly referred to as Ijustquitsmokingyouassgetoutofmywayorbuymeadonutan dabagofcandyistherebeerinthefridge.......Ineedtoru nbytacobellafterbreakfastandbeforelunch,twice,,,Ro g
Old 11-04-2005, 11:27 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Puffin's Through (PT) and all you other quitters,

Hooray for us!!!

Stick to it big guy (and I mean that in the nicest possible way).

I had my last ciggy on Cinco de Mayo (Mexican day celebrating eggs and oil) 1975.

An incident that made it easier for me to stay "straight" was when a "chewer" dropped the tin can he had been filling for a couple of days in a fairly crowded establishment that served "liquid refreshments". Two women immediately threw up quite messily. One extremely handsome, intelligent, and charming gentleman who was standing nearby also came close to purging himself (three guesses).

I also have a friend who had part of his tongue removed due to cancer and chewing and snuff. Good stuff to stay away from.

I meant for the above to help keep you hanging in there. I hope I didn't offend anyone by this off-subject entry but only those of us who have gone though it can relate to how tough it is.

OK, on-subject, I predict that my TD .020 delta will come close to 7 ounces RTF.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:54 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Raymond, I'm wiping the tears of my face after reading that. I would have joined the women quickly. I used to dip snuff till I hopped in my van one day and took a big ol' gulp of "Pepsi" and promptly did a good imitation of those women.

Rog, I never knew the technical name...

Les,see
Engine - 2oz
Battery - .75oz
BB Fuel tank - .5oz
Radio - 1oz
Pushrods + Covering 1oz
TOTAL 5.25oz

That leaves me 1.75oz for the airframe.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:04 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

Rog... I'm 240lbs stark naked. (imagine that!)
Patrick --

If it's all the same, I'll try not to imagine that!!!!!

Oddly enough, I never smoked although both parents were heavy smokers and I grew up in an area where smoking and growing tobacco were a way of life. My wife has been trying to quit for 12 years -- going for a second acupuncture treatment today. Hang in there -- just keep thinking of all the extra modeling money you'll have to spend.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:13 PM
ptulmer

twenty-one bucks a week or a grand for the year. Already done the math.[sm=tongue.gif]
Old 11-04-2005, 03:18 PM
flyswatter

Hey pt: Don't worry too much about the people you are making mad since you quit. It is probably nothing to it since you use to make me mad when you smoked!
Old 11-04-2005, 08:02 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

PATRICK, just put 5 CYCLONS on order now, then you'll be committed to quit. They might even have one of those "buy 5, get 1 free" kind of deals
Old 11-07-2005, 08:55 PM
ptulmer

Couple of small changes. Originally, I had wanted to put the servo's between the two 1/8 "spars". Well, the fella that designed this thing was using HS-55's for the measurements and since the builder is using GWS servos, some minor changes will be made. I made a hatch out of 1/16 ply and put that right behind the tank. The servo arms are the only thing that will stick up. Plenty of room in there for the servos to lay on their sides. And the receiver and battery can be accessed by removing the hatch. If you've ever seen a Lil Streak, it's the same thing. The servos attach to the hatch and the hatch attaches to the airframe. Done right, this is very strong.
BTW, the airframe weight is less than the goal of 1.75oz. It's just a tad over 1.5oz.[sm=thumbup.gif] Not real worried about the CG yet, but it may end up being a little nose heavy. The "devil" killer bee has a permanent home now. CP, were you using the 4.2x4 on it, or is there a better option?
Old 11-07-2005, 09:19 PM
combatpigg

The 4.2x4 and 45% nitro is what it likes. I didn't see any pitting on the head or piston, but you have heavy air where you are at, so it's always good to have shims and a tach with you to start out the day right if you are playing with high nitro.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:47 AM
ptulmer

Now, don't laugh too hard, but I forgot the fin when I was weighing it before.[X(] It's gonna be a little over 1.5oz, but still way under the 1.75oz mark! Never did find a copyright on the "combatpigg" fin, so I went ahead and used it. 'Cuz it's cool lookin'. Gotta install the radio and cover tonight. I've got an Open B combat plane to finish up. Gonna try my hand at some combat on the 25th.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46410.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	350759   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42823.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	350760  
Old 11-08-2005, 04:45 PM
captnhowdy

Very nice...Hope to build one for .020 power....

Aaron
Old 11-08-2005, 04:52 PM
ptulmer

Aaron, TD .020? BTW, posted a link to the plans in another thread. Look for the "Delta uploaded" thread.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:03 PM
combatpigg

Looks real SNAPPY DUDE! There's much less wood there than a SWR. It would weigh even less if you went with just an exposed bladder instead of a tank (and it would be a good excuse to get some practice monkeying with a bladderized engine and all the paraphernalia}. That plane should be a real head turner at the field! The highest compliment and proof that your delta is a smashing success, is when you turn around to hand off the radio and all the guys are taking cover under the picnic tables That sucker would look good all black with yellow, orange, red flames, but would probably double the weight of the plane. Keep building them smaller and lighter until something snaps, that's our motto.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:13 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Tissue and dope would let you go with that fancy flame option with virtually no weight penalty.

Pt, you need a "beta" tester? I'm feeling the urge to have a go at one of these myself.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:37 PM
combatpigg

BTW, don't forget to cap off those wing tips, [wing tip doublers], that's what ties it all together.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:12 PM
ptulmer

Bruce, I've really ***ed around on this. It should take about two hours to be ready for the radio and engine. That includes taping the four sheets together for the plans. I've got some dope(butrate/nitrate), just no tissue. Also, I lack any skill with paint. I do, however, have some parkflier plastic covering that rivals any 'ol CELLOPHANE.

CP, I've already decided to make a second one for my VA. Should be a good platform for it. We'll see!
Old 11-08-2005, 09:09 PM
combatpigg

What are you running for OPEN B? Half of the fun of getting into something new is mingling around and getting a good look at what it takes to be competitive. So many different schools of thought. I think good depth perception is the most important thing to have.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:36 PM
ptulmer

CP, the kit I've got is the Skull Bandit from [link=http://www.screamingeaglerc.net/]screamingeaglerc.net[/link] and a used (and I mean REALLY used) Magnum GP .25. From the advice I've gotten, a .25FX is the most advanced equipment needed. The SB is a pretty unique aircraft in my experience. Here's a picture of the fuselage. I may not be "competitive" yet, but I still plan on bringing home some streamers! (still gotta come up with a cool handle...)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99258.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	351054  
Old 11-08-2005, 09:57 PM
combatpigg

That looks like that indestructible cutting board material. Some guys polyu a ripstop fabric to the foam wing if they plan on bashing alot. How about, " SIR BASHALOT"?
Old 11-08-2005, 10:24 PM
ptulmer

I was going to make an aluminum spike for my black hardhat... Red and white nylon w/ black iron crosses. Sound familiar? If I don't get a streamer, somebody's gonna get beat with my airplane.[>:]

Gotta go to your favorite store.(W**M**T) That's the only place that sells fabric around here. I hope they got ripstop nylon! If not, he sent some purple they had sitting around.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:37 PM
combatpigg

I think that alot of guys would just say to layer on the 2 inch wide packing tape, maybe a little bidirectional tape, and call it good. If you have 5 minute epoxy and spare tape, that will keep you alive out there. The fabric job adds a bunch of weight and the resulting toughness has really turned that category into a high speed demolition derby. what is the span and area of your RC weaponry?
Old 11-08-2005, 10:43 PM
ptulmer

64" span using the eyeball measuring stick. The area is 'bout 480 squares. The tape idea is a good one, but you can't get colored tape around here, much less choose it based on thickness.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:28 PM
combatpigg

I think I saw colored postal tape and caution tape at either a dollar store or a office depot type place. They sell bulk packs and I think you want the thinnest stuff. The thick stuff is too heavy. You dont really need that much color, just some flourescent blasts on the wing tips right over the tape, and brightly colored fins.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:36 PM
willflyforfood

TYVEC is also tough as nails for a combat wing covering you cant hardly break it.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:40 PM
ptulmer

Tyvek... do they still make that? I thought housewrap was something else these days. That may be a local problem. That stuff can't be ripped though!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.