Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

What's the "Texaco" difference.

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

What's the "Texaco" difference.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 07:00 PM
Wayne C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the "Texaco" difference.

Used cox engines for many years but never had a real look at a texaco engine. I always preferred the 70s style metal fuel tank/backplate combo over the plastic backplates. In the pictures I've seen, the texaco looks to have a metal tank. I notice that on the cox website the texaco is only about five dollars higher than the babe bee. What's the real difference between a texaco and a bee?
Old 11-02-2005, 01:08 AM
subarubrat
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: What's the "Texaco" difference.

It has a longer (larger) tank and the glow plug has an extra fin on it. I am not sure about internals. But it will spin a 7 in prop easily, but at a low RPM. Unrelated, I did screw a 11/8 prop on a babe bee one time and it spun that at a very low RPM and VERY quiet. I wonder........
Old 11-02-2005, 07:45 AM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the tank back plate has a smaller venturi so at the lower rpms the airflow past the needle valve will still be fast enough to draw fuel properly. The prop that cox sells as the texaco prop is an 8-4! That's a lotta prop for .049.. Sure wish they would make more 7-3.5.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:46 PM
Strat2003
My Feedback: (1)

That's right, the Texaco venturi is smaller than either the Black Widow or the stock Babe Bee. However, it is still a little larger than some of the early (without the intake screen) metal backplate engines. The smallest venturi lets you run even more pitch and blade area with some reliability. The rules limit diameter to 8", though.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:30 PM
burtcs

Wayne: Way back when ...I got three Cox Texaco engines when they first showed up at a local LHS.

They had:

Five fin glow heads (sport heads work fine don't worry about overheating - thats not the problem)

Four slit exhausts

Two port cylinders (ala Black Widow).

8 cc fuel tank with plastic blackplate and reed retainer (back plate has one tall vent, one flush)

The venturi was slightly smaller than the Baby Bee (not by much)

I don't know what the new engines have (Cox may not have a clue either). Rule changes have forced the use of Baby Bee (5.1 cc) tanks. Use a clip on spring start to start the engine. Add extra head gaskets to retard ignition and do use an 8" prop (only if ya want to...)

HTH - Steve B.