Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

LLS Flight Report !

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

LLS Flight Report !

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 06:26 PM
Half-A-Hec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LLS Flight Report !

Howdy All,

I got up this morning read the weather report and said I better try the LLS now because it is supposed to get ugly this afternoon. Snow and wind predicted. The conditions this morning were wind at 6 mph out of the South. Temperature was 19 Deg F. Burrr[:'(]. I sat the the LLS on the street pointed her into the wind gave full throttle and she was off. Much better than last time but still a little touchy in the turns. The re balancing was definitely needed. This flight was a bit scary as the plane was still a handful. By the way, on this flight the 6x3 gws prop was installed. After 5 mins of this, I brought her in over the grass and managed to break my prop on the landing[:@].
I had another batt with me and another 6x3 prop. Should I try this again? I will only get the same results. What should I try to change to make it fly better? Its balanced, Hmmmm. I went for the gold and grabbed the APC 7x5 prop out. To tell ya the truth I was scared to try the prop because of the tremendous amount of thrust it put out compared to the 6x3. So I slapped the 7x5 on and changed the batt. I sat her on the street again with a lump in my throat. Man I better get ready for what ever comes next, I thought to myself. I new that I would have to hold a little up elevator to keep the tail down during take off due to the longer prop. I gave her full throttle and held the up elevator and in about 5 feet she took off at about a 75 degree angle![X(] Wow! this thing was a rocket! Oddly enough it flew straight and true. Ailerons were a little touchy so I switched to low rates. Ahhhh! Much better. What do ya know I can control this little beast. I reduced the throttle to 1/2 and flew it like that. I had complete control of the plane. Turns were nice now on the low rates and she was tracking well. At full throttle she would really get going but very controllable. After 5 mins I brought her in with no problems. Whew what a flight. I can't believe that more power solved the bad flight characteristics. I flew the plane on my way in to work so I didn't have enough time for another flight. Tonight I am going to either remove the tail skid altogether or shorten it up. I am sold on the 7x5 prop!

thanks for all the help you guys gave me in trying to figure out where the gremlins were hiding. I think I scared them out of the plane today.

Hec
Old 11-30-2005, 07:17 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: LLS Flight Report !

Congratulations! Not only is the power better, but that bigger prop moved your CG up a little bit too. Sounds like a very fun combo now.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:40 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad to hear you got it figured out. Are you using an outrunner? I wonder if there is some gyroscopic effect at higher rpms.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:50 PM
Half-A-Hec

Bipe Flyer,

Ya know I wondered that myself. Yes the motor is an outrunner and the 7x5 prop runs slower than that 6x3. HMMM. Man did she scoot at full throttle. I was afraid to get out of range of the GWS 6 channel Receiver. I will gradually increase the aileron throws as I get more accustomed with the plane. She will turn on a dime though[8D].

Hec
Old 11-30-2005, 10:37 PM
Half-A-Hec

CP,

It certainly did shift the CG forward. I weighed my plane tonight with the 7x5 prop she comes in at 6.7 oz. Up from 6.5 with the 6x3 prop. I got a couple of GWS 7x4's coming in. They are much lighter than the APC. A lot more fragile too.

Hec.

Old 11-30-2005, 10:50 PM
Bipe Flyer

ORIGINAL: Half-A- HEC

CP,

It certainly did shift the CG forward. I weighed my plane tonight with the 7x5 prop she comes in at 6.7 oz. Up from 6.5 with the 6x3 prop. I got a couple of GWS 7x4's coming in. They are much lighter than the APC. A lot more fragile too.

Hec.

A lot less efficient too.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:54 PM
Half-A-Hec

Bipe,

Are you saying that the GWS prop is less effecient than the APC? Is it because they are so light and therefore may flex. Those electric APC props are just like the glow ones. Tough!
Old 11-30-2005, 11:40 PM
Bipe Flyer

Yes, pretty much. At higher RPMs it will be more noticeable. The thing I really hate about GWS props is replacing them after every flight.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:26 PM
Half-A-Hec

Bipe,

I guess they are not as effecient in the air and on your wallet. I picked up a couple of APC E 7x4 Slow Flights to keep in the flight box today. Now if the weather would only cooperate.[:'(]

Hec