Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Does anyone remember the "Shockwave"?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Does anyone remember the "Shockwave"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 11:28 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Does anyone remember the "Shockwave"?

this plane appeared in RCM in 1979 and sported the Pacer wing set.
I think at the time you could buy just that wingset along with others like the Whizard.
These contained the short, constant chord center wing panel as well as the tapered set of outboard panels. These sets were, of course to enable folks to build from the plans being published in various mags of the time.

Back to the Shockwave. This plane had a high sweep on the wings and had the look of a jet fighter. Used for the article was a Tee Dee in back in a pusher configuration.

Any one remember that one?
Old 12-04-2005, 11:47 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Does anyone remember the "Shockwave"?

Yep, I've had the plans for a long time, but never built it. Planes tend to look bigger on paper than in real life, that is what scared me away from building it. Good looking plane, but I'll bet a real challenge to build light enough to be real lively with normal 1/2A power.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:45 AM
build light

The biggest key is use the lightest wood. I feel I am preaching to the choir here.
I don't think weight would be as big an issue with the lighter gear we have today. As for myself I should have built one a few years ago when I thought I could handle it. just looked too fast even then. At least for the motors I have had. One of my earliest was the Half A Stick. I built 2 wings for it. The first was a standard CC Ace foam wing. it seemed to heavy to me and I added some wingtips and monokoted those. Still seemed to heavy with those extra few square inches of area so I decided to start with another wing and save the first for later.
The second wing was 2 sets of Ace foamies. *One CC, One tapered. I was thinking of the Ace High sailplane they had. It used an .049 on a power pod. I figured this would work.
It did. Very well. Slowed that sucker right down so I did not get nervous. I learned a lot from that.

I say... Have at it if you have the plans. It would look great here on the forum!
Old 12-05-2005, 08:39 PM
combatpigg

Until the SWR building frenzy runs it's course with me, it's hard to get motivated to build a real plane with ribs, and bulkheads, and all that other stuff. I'll bet some of those ARFS would take longer to put together, than a SWR. To make an old design like the SHOCKWAVE a relevant building subject, [if I am going after some kind of outstanding flight quality], I think it would need to be updated. As it sits, it looks like a plus 20 oz build, combined with a sleek body, can really make a 1/2A engine unwind in a death dive! It might be very sporty with a little down sizing and an .074? If you want to look at it like it's a cool looking glider with pusher engine, then it has lots of appeal, but DANG!, it's HUGE!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88394.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	365544  
Old 12-05-2005, 08:58 PM
build light

I think it could shed some weight to be sure, still, ain't it a cool looking plane!?

Could be an .074 might turn it from a so so performer to a more spirited ride.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:10 PM
combatpigg

It sure is a pretty plane. I would like to see a more forward canopy. The biggest gripe I have with pushers running off of suction is this scenario, what happens when you pull the nose up [and raise the tank above the engine]? At this moment in time, the engine goes rich, and loses power, when you go into a dive, the engine leans out. The only solution to this bassackwards deal is to run off of bladder pressure, then the engine won't care which way it is pointed. I think you have a worthwhile project picked out, and it would make for an interesting build thread to contribute here, during the "dog days" of the building season. An .074 would be my choice, but you could still have fun with a 1/2A engine too.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:30 PM
injunnut1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked the Fred Reese designed 'BD-5' better, published in MAN I think ..... or even the RCM published 'T.D. Special' .... both designs are 1/2A Cox Tee Dee powered and incorporate the Ace Foam Wings, the BD-5 uses the Ace Taper Wing with straight across design, while the T.D. Special uses the Ace Constant Cord wing with swept wing design.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:38 PM
combatpigg

The TD SPECIAL is another very cool looking plane. It was supposed to revolutionize 1/2A pylon, with cleaner lines, being a pusher.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:59 PM
injunnut1

Here is photos from my archives of the three 1/2A Pushers ..... 1st is 'Shockwave', 2nd is 'T.D. Special', and 3rd (two photos) is 'BD-5' ..................
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75310.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	366171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39989.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	366172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13389.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	366173   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20562.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	366174  
Old 12-07-2005, 05:55 PM
build light

Ah yes the BD5! I remember reading a test report on that somewhere and it really did well. It even had a light glide ratio that caused you to tend to overshoot your landings. Something to get used to when flying this model. I would love to get my hands on one of those one day!
The kit I mean. I would not look forward to making that canopy for now. I believe I could scratch build the rest with plans.
Plans were from RCM?
Old 12-07-2005, 11:41 PM
injunnut1

The canopy is easy ..... it is cut from a stock 13 inch Sig canopy.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:04 AM
build light

Oh really? That is good news... Sort of. You should see what happens to clear plastic canopies when I get hold of them with a sharp object. Not a pretty sight.
This is one of the reasons I have stayed away from RC cars and their vast array of really cool bodies! It simply is a "skill" I have not yet grasped. They must be viewed from afar if there is to be any appretiation. Yet I still try.

Thanks injunnut1 for that info.

Does anyone remember where plans are for the BD5?
Old 12-08-2005, 04:14 AM
injunnut1

Model Airplane News, September 1975 issue ...... MAN plan service likely has the plan .... I think the website is www.rcstore.com maybe?

Try this: http://www.rcstore.com/rs/general/de...9753&catego=PL

If you do not want to pay the ridiculous MAN Plan prices (15 bucks for a 1/2A Plan? ..... NOT ME!!!), I can send you a scan that you can take to your local Office Supply and get enlarged ...... you will need to PM me your email address.