Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

lil bug 1/2A

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 07:54 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lil bug 1/2A

I won it on the bay, I bought it for what I thought was a QRC, turns out its an .051 td with a throttle sleeve, anyway its a Lee Stangel plane built like a tank! a pod and boom type trainer?. the linkage wire looks like coat hangar wire! 4 channel, dark metallic blue, 1 oz tank, (I think) but the rear dowel for the wing hold down, both run parellel with the boom never seen that before ,it looks like they would interfere with the aileron movement...we'll see...Rog
Old 12-06-2005, 12:21 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: lil bug 1/2A

Rog,

The engine is a Medallion. It's alittle tamer than a TD.

LAter,
Tim
Old 12-06-2005, 02:30 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

I prefer to think of them as more fuel efficient...

Tim, are you watching every single Cox related auction?[X(]
Old 12-06-2005, 03:40 PM
flyinrog

I watch a lot of them PT,never thought I'd win this at $20 anyway dont know what the difference is between the medallion and tee dee... I also went to look up Stengel enterprizes and it appears he only sells one kit and some plans now, he used to have a lot of ads on the bay for planes....Rog
Old 12-06-2005, 04:33 PM
ptulmer

Rog, he probably found out the same thing I did. Alot of work and after ebay/paypal get through with you, there's not much money in it. I averaged about $3 per hour. Or as I call it "just five minutes of overtime at work". Think about it! The fry cook at Mcdonalds was making more than me! Bob loves his business and I'm sure that makes ALL the difference. I wasn't running a business for a hobby, I was doing it to afford a hobby.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:53 PM
flyinrog

Took the medallion off and put on the GP-07.. have to relocate the throttle outlet, added the landing gear from the carcus of an ace extra 230,,and I need to rob some radio gear out of other planes ,maybe I can try this thing out the week after xmas... I actually have a few days off....Rog
Old 12-31-2005, 09:56 AM
flyinrog

Well, crashed the Lil Bug yesterday, it was a nice day and it was all I had almost ready so I finished it up and went to the field,,the little GP-07 fired right off and sounded sweeeeet,,it was 18oz, balanced and was fine for about 30 seconds, then something went haywire and I lost it in the woods behind me,so I head for the swamp jumping from one grass knob to another listening for the servos , then I see it in a small pine at which time, I looked up lost my footing and both feet went it 6 inches of cold water, so I just grabbed the tree and shook it till my plane fell out (maybe a 12' tall tree) and theres really not much damage except the pod is broken,,I noticed the fuel was draining out and then when I got to the car I see the carb is GONE! bummer I know its not worth buying a whole carb for it probably a $30 thing IF I can find one.....Oh well, I told Flybug I would cut him out a LS150 kit and send him some extra plans I have,,Patrick gave me a few extra plans of the DNU, Bipe's Mini Bipe and maybe a SWR for fun..enough to keep him busy for a while....its supposed to be in the 60's all weekend, maybe I'll try and get one built today and fly tomorow!! better get crackin'....I think it'd be cool to start the new year off with a nice easy flight...Rog
Old 01-01-2006, 05:11 PM
flyinrog

So saturday I cut out 3 LS150 kits, boxed one up for flybug and started to build the other one, it got to where I got combatpiggitis and figured I could finish a plane and fly today if I really tried so, I cheated and used my old wing , and tail group (from a SS Cap 231), built., covered, put in the radio this morning, and 24 hours after I cut the kit I was flying the LS150,for about 10 seconds,,when it dawned on me that the wing was the reason it went in a year or so ago ,this one had a norvel .061 with the tank mount .....oh well, it was such I nice day at the field,,I met a guy who had a HUGE plane some kind of flying king air maybe ...i dunno anyway it had like a 10' WS and a good 1.5' chord wwith a 104cc engine...you just had to be there[X(]..he had it flying sideways down the runway 30 feet up and it would hover all day,,it was a GIANT trainer..too cool..I may have to switch to the .40 planes for awhile, think I'll bring the fairchild out of retirement too.....Happy New Year guys.....Rog
Old 01-04-2006, 09:37 AM
flyinrog

http://www.btemodels.com/sfk.html

super flying king.....so cool.....Rog
Old 01-04-2006, 10:03 AM
flybug

Hey flyinrog will the Lil bug come back into service again?
Old 01-04-2006, 10:12 AM
ptulmer

Rog, nobody told you that you could do both? I fly some forty size stuff regularly. I've even got a 1/5 Pica Spitfire kit waiting to start.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:35 AM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

Rog, nobody told you that you could do both? I fly some forty size stuff regularly. I've even got a 1/5 Pica Spitfire kit waiting to start.
Whaaaat? I'm allowed??Icoulda been doin this all along? yeah I like the little ones but have a couple of .40's too,,funny a friend gave me a spitfire (OLD) it was hanging in a room for decades and he's moving so ...?I told him I probably wouldnt get to it this year,not sure if its a kit or scratch or what ..he flew CL when we were kids 30 years ago, I dont know when he built this one

Flybug,,the lil bug..not sure if its worth it ,already stripped it of parts to try the LS150,,need to either build the other kit or put those parts in something else,,,Rog
I did find the needles assembly for $5 so thats cool I like the engine...Rog
Old 01-05-2006, 03:21 PM
flybug

ORIGINAL: flyinrog
Oh well, I told Flybug I would cut him out a LS150 kit and send him some extra plans I have,,Patrick gave me a few extra plans of the DNU, Bipe's Mini Bipe and maybe a SWR for fun..enough to keep him busy for a while
Hey flyinrog, got the package today, many thanks. I've already have the doublers on the fuse and got the wing panels pinned up will start glueing those in a bit (is this a one channel plane?). Guess I need to break in one of the Sure Start for this one (seems kinda light for it though)

Thanks again