Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Availability of plans from RC Modeler How long?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Availability of plans from RC Modeler How long?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 12:13 AM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Availability of plans from RC Modeler How long?

It is my understanding that plans are still available from RCM Since RCM is no longer being published how long will it be before the plans service is gone?

I have a pretty large list I want to get from them while I still can but my budget does not allow for now. I want to get a few at a time as funds allow.

What will happen to all these plans in the future? I don't count on them becoming public domain. Also the prices RCM offered was also best around in my book.

I wish I had not waited.

Any info folks?
Old 12-08-2005, 08:58 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Availability of plans from RC Modeler How long?

I ordered plans about a month ago and received them in about 3 weeks. When I spoke to the woman taking the order, she did not indicate that the plans service was going to be discontinued. With their plans inventory already in place, variable cost of reproduction is pennies and the entire operation probably could be managed by one person. When I ordered, I asked if the 4 for 3 offer was still good -- it was still being honored, so I paid for 3 and got the least expensive 4th plan for free.

I have noticed that RCM has posted a notice on their site that the sale of the magazine is being negotiated -- maybe RCM will reappear.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:08 PM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably as long as they make a buck.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:58 PM
build light

Andrew, you have a point on the inventory and all but if no one is there to take orders and ship them what good is the inventory?
Certainly at this point I would only place an order by phone but I have less faith now than I would have a month or so ago. I am glad for you and your good service. I am going to have to wait till Jan. before I can do anything myself. I just hate there has to be this time lapse.

As for the renegotiation that is news to me. Good news. I hope they do come back I was a subscriber for many years once upon a time. They were IMHO the best there was for quite some time. Now its hard to say.
Thanks for the feedback I am going to go to their site and read what you did.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:03 AM
Half-A-Hec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Build Lite,

I have a Spiral Bound RCM plans catalog that is about 2" thick filled with 8-1/2" x 11" size plans. Actually there are many pages with 2-3 planes on it. I think they can be copied and enlarged at Kinko's. My book was given to me by my older brother in the early 80's and I believe it came out in 78 or 79. It is broken down into sections like: Racers, Sport, Scale, Seaplanes, Biplanes, Trainers, rotorcraft, even boats! and miscellaneous. The miscellaneous section has plans for field boxes, parachuters, camera mounts, floats etcc.. There is quite a few plans for .010 to .10 size like the rodent, Homer, Skid Kid etc..

I can make you a copy of a plan you have in mind and send it to you if you wish. Just pm me with your adress.

Hec
Old 12-09-2005, 05:48 PM
build light

How well do I rember that book! I used to have that book. It is a pictorial listing of every plan available from RCM up to a certain date. When I bought it there was Volume One and then there were 3 updates or addendums. I had them all.
Lost them sometime during the divorce. She said she had no idea where all that stuff went...
That book was one of my most valuable tools once upon a time. I would sometimes take it to a copy machine and blow up plans from time to time. That was before kinkos. It would be worth more now than ever!

I may take you up on that offer sometime! Don't lose that book!
Old 12-09-2005, 06:02 PM
Half-A-Hec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Build Lite,

That is the one! I have it. Let me know.

Hec