Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Balsa Stik ARF sale at HL 1/2a sized..

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Balsa Stik ARF sale at HL 1/2a sized..

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 11:03 PM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Balsa Stik ARF sale at HL 1/2a sized..

They sell it as electric, but lookie what 49 dollars gets ya- a built 36" ws balsa stick looking plane with ailerons.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/threedee.htm

also the mini telemaster kit is on sale for 19 dollars!

edit- they now list the tele for 23.. those b astards!
Old 12-09-2005, 11:16 PM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Balsa Stik ARF sale at HL 1/2a sized..

That's a cute plane, the size is perfect for a good running reedie. That 3D [orthographic] view should be pretty easy to project into plan views, by some of our learn-ed computer whizzes. Spend 10 bucks for wood and sink the other $40 into RC gear. I could see spending $20 for something like that, but $50 kind of takes the argument for why we fly 1/2A and tosses it out the window.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:26 PM
mclintock

CP I agree, especially with an ugly stick- why make an ugly stick an arf? But some people may have no time to build, or may live in a dorm or something (like always reading and writing about model airplanes while never acutally getting the glue open {me!}). I always look at electric arf's as loss leaders to get you to buy the other 400 dollars of stuff from the store, but one can pull a fast one by slapping a 6 dollar cox on the nose instead.

Oh and while wondering how the chinese do it, off topic, but many here seem to be guitarists-
http://www.musicyo.com/product_specs.asp?pf_id=101
69 dollars for a strat. But how? What does a House cost in china, 1000 dollars?
Old 12-09-2005, 11:37 PM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Clint, you're right about that. You are our "eye that spies" on all the hot deals, I wish I was 1/2 as resourcefull as you are! I wonder what THEIR cost is on something like that, I mean if you could pick it up at the factory?
Old 12-10-2005, 08:55 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mclintock

CP I agree, especially with an ugly stick- why make an ugly stick an arf? But some people may have no time to build, or may live in a dorm or something (like always reading and writing about model airplanes while never acutally getting the glue open {me!}). I always look at electric arf's as loss leaders to get you to buy the other 400 dollars of stuff from the store, but one can pull a fast one by slapping a 6 dollar cox on the nose instead.

Oh and while wondering how the chinese do it, off topic, but many here seem to be guitarists-
$1000!! a goat, a pig, an ox, the house, 5 acres and the daughter ,,nice lookin axe for $70, wonder how it sounds??..HL... crazy stuff, its a nice looking plane but I've never seen any other store advertise so much stuff to fly a particular plane....that cool foamie thats a little over priced ends up costing $469 to get in the air....never have, never will buy from them..Rog
Old 12-10-2005, 09:40 AM
mclintock

I know HL can be high on some things, and push the foam, but that's what's hot now with the unwashed masses and they do have some good lines, and frequent sales..

For example, look at the sale now on bluearrow servos and receivers.
That little rx for fifteen dollars includes the crystal! I don't even need that and i need that! 700 foot range? Plenty!
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/santa-radios.htm

Plus them boys are in Tennessee- which automatically makes them cool, (although it didn't really do much for Gore).

And my off topic about musicyo.com, I ordered a 79 dollar acoustic kramer about a year ago from them, and it's just fine! The strings are sorta junk, but who uses the strings the factory put on anyway? Also the frets were not leveled and polished with the loving attention you'd find on a Martin, but it was 79 dollars!
Old 12-10-2005, 12:27 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

That's a cute plane, the size is perfect for a good running reedie. That 3D [orthographic] view should be pretty easy to project into plan views, by some of our learn-ed computer whizzes. Spend 10 bucks for wood and sink the other $40 into RC gear. I could see spending $20 for something like that, but $50 kind of takes the argument for why we fly 1/2A and tosses it out the window.
It's been done. Pete's DNU....
Old 12-10-2005, 01:17 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who's Pete?
Old 12-10-2005, 06:41 PM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

Who's Pete?
BAAHAHAHAAHA! Wonder if he means Patrick?
Old 12-10-2005, 09:42 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh, he must have meant Pete McFulmer. He designed the Darn Nice Uberstik.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:46 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Fifty lousy bucks for a built up and covered quality arf and you guys are complaining? CHEAPSKATES!
Old 12-10-2005, 11:55 PM
Bipe Flyer

Isn't "quality ARF" an oxymoron?
Old 12-10-2005, 11:56 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

No, some are quite excellent, easily the equal to what most can build themselves.
ARFs don't "move" me in the same way as something I built myself, but I am sure glad they are around, and some of them are very nice indeed.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:58 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

The answer is "yes", a house may only cost $1000.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:01 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

$1000!! a goat, a pig, an ox, the house, 5 acres and the daughter ,,nice lookin axe for $70, wonder how it sounds??..HL... crazy stuff, its a nice looking plane but I've never seen any other store advertise so much stuff to fly a particular plane....that cool foamie thats a little over priced ends up costing $469 to get in the air....never have, never will buy from them..Rog
Hobby Lobby is an EXCELLENT outfit. Not the cheapest, by a long shot, but they back their stuff up with service, knowledge, photography, testing, all the good stuff. Plenty of people DO order the whole shebang from them...why? Because if HL recommends a certain motor for a plane, you can count on the guys at HL to have actually TRIED and TESTED it. They test and fly what they sell. They really do.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:04 AM
Bipe Flyer

I put a winky smiley on that last comment. I have a few ARFs myslef - shhh, don't tell anyone.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:58 AM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: EASYTIGER

Hobby Lobby is an EXCELLENT outfit. Not the cheapest, by a long shot, but they back their stuff up with service, knowledge, photography, testing, all the good stuff. Plenty of people DO order the whole shebang from them...why? Because if HL recommends a certain motor for a plane, you can count on the guys at HL to have actually TRIED and TESTED it. They test and fly what they sell. They really do.
Ok I listened to you,,news flash "CHEAP IS IN" thats why the Chinese make everything, I have a full size .40 trainer that is now on sale for $39 all hardware even the fuel tank is included, I agree HL has some cool stuff, most every outfit tests their products, infact a lot of places have sprung up based on GWS power systems ....big difference,,GWS stuff is WAY cheaper,,I have to admit I may look at more of their stuff because of Mclintock's post about Rx's and stuff,,but cant see getting an outfit from them...because this kind of stuff is getting cheaper...look at Queque S.'s ARF yak thats like $130 with the brushless motor and ESC,, at HL that would be a$80 plane, a $60 motor, and a $30 ESC and $7 for connectors, plus $1.50 for the spinner, and another $1.50 for the tip for your antennae ($180)...AND they Brag about it!!....ya'll know I'm right.........Rog
Old 12-11-2005, 09:19 AM
mclintock

Looking back, nearly everything I ever got from HL was on sale- exept for some props, kavan soft props that nobody else carries over on this side of the pond..
Due to fierce competetion in the brushless motor and controller realm, prices are getting better and better, not just at HL, but all over.
See the esskay motor for 19 dollars on sale at HL, then pickup a controller for cheap at toddsmodels.com on sale, and bam, electric .049! Still way more than a sure start- but factor in paper towels and formula 409 for a few years then maybe.. unless a lipo blows up and burns down your house or car..

I wonder what sized glow the 'miss stick' would take.. also on sale..400 square inches..
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/miss-stik.htm
Old 12-11-2005, 10:31 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Rog, comparing this and a GWS model is apples and oranges...GWS stuff is real garbage, real cheap stuff, Scorpio is high end. GWS is the bottom end of this hobby, quality-wise, and distribution-wise. Notice that anybody who wants to can sell GWS? See how competitive it is, with a jillion internet distributors? Who is really making money, except GWS themselves? HL is here for the long haul, they are good people.

HL, even way, way before cheap chinese stuff, had the same policies. Remember, they have been around for a long time. They were not the cheapest, but they only carry quality stuff, they test everything, they present it well, and they offer mostly exclusive stuff that nobody else has in the USA.
Notice they have an exclusive here in the USA on some of the most interesting models around? Alfa, Flying Styro, etc?

They also hire actual MODELLERS to work there. Good people.

Sorry to rant...it's just that many people don't really appreciate HL, or really know the story. Thank god not EVERY place is just a website and a basement trying to just sell for the cheapest.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:21 PM
BMatthews

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

Who's Pete?
BAAHAHAHAAHA! Wonder if he means Patrick?
Oops, I'm an idiot. With all the nick names I got the Patrick and Pete mixed up. I know two other Petes from another board I'm on. My apologies Patrick.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:29 PM
BMatthews

....I wonder what sized glow the 'miss stick' would take.. also on sale..400 square inches..
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/miss-stik.htm
A Cox 049 with 6x3 would produce a quick but not highly aerobatic worthy climb to altitude for some thermal hunting. A Norvel 074 would turn it into a 3D type of flying beast. They call for 22 oz flying weight. I know the electric stuff is getting lighter with the use of Lipo's but a glow setup would still shave a couple of ounces off that and that puts the weight down to 049 territory easily. A Norvel 061 set up for 3 channels would produce a nice calm weather trainer or casual sportflyer. The size and low weight would keep it grounded once the wind gets over 10 mph for most pilots.

That is actually a helluva deal for a laser cut kit of that size. It would probably work with the cheaper Speed400 electric option as well.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:47 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Best with electric power, so you can climb and glide and climb again. A cheap motor with a Lipo pack would be fine.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:50 PM
flyinrog

Rog, comparing this and a GWS model is apples and oranges...GWS stuff is real garbage, real cheap stuff, Scorpio is high end. GWS is the bottom end of this hobby, quality-wise, and distribution-wise. Notice that anybody who wants to can sell GWS? See how competitive it is, with a jillion internet distributors? Who is really making money, except GWS themselves? HL is here for the long haul, they are good people.

It is NOT apples and oranges it is apples and cheaper apples ..."Notice that anybody who wants to can sell GWS?...Hey ET "Notice that only HL can/ does sell Graupner products" there is no more longhaul if they dont keep up they will fade away...And I retrained myself with GWS parkflyer planes at the local schoolyard, lots of fun...no garbage involved...ohhhhh I cant tell you how hard it is to refrain from just biting your head off....you sir are Wrong......Roger W. Bond
Old 12-11-2005, 10:51 PM
Bipe Flyer

$50 is actually cheaper than a lot of other ARFs of the same size, not counting foamies. The Miss Stik is less than $30. Not bad, but it takes away the fun of building; and there aren't enough wings for my taste.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:56 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

It is NOT apples and oranges it is apples and cheaper apples ..."Notice that anybody who wants to can sell GWS?...Hey ET "Notice that only HL can/ does sell Graupner products" there is no more longhaul if they dont keep up they will fade away...And I retrained myself with GWS parkflyer planes at the local schoolyard, lots of fun...no garbage involved...ohhhhh I cant tell you how hard it is to refrain from just biting your head off....you sir are Wrong......Roger W. Bond
Actually, HL has been on the cutting edge for quite some time, if any one company had more to do with introducing electric flight to the USA, name them for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.