Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Newbie reaching out for guidance.

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Newbie reaching out for guidance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 04:57 PM
flybug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie reaching out for guidance.

Hi all,

I've been reading the recent posts for the past days throughout the forum and figured this is where I want to start; reason being is of the small planes. I am totally new to RC and came across it the other day when someone was flying his plane for the last time (going through a bad divorce). After he landed the plane, I approached him and asked him about the sport. Long story short, by the end of our conversation I walked away with a Hitec Prism 7X TX, a RCD Supreme super slim RX, with 1800mah 6.0v batteries, an OS MAX 40 FP, 4 props, 4 servos, wall charger, switch harness, servo extension, and 2 brand new COX Surestart engines (still in the UPS box). He basically stripped his plane and sold these things for $95.00. He gave the plane to his friend. So here I stand totally in love with this sport just by watching him that evening, with this equipment, and yet I do not know anything about it. Most of what I read here is like a foreign language to me. Any way if at all possible can you guys/gals stare me in the right direction on how to start right. I read that is best to start from scratch because not only you get the satisfaction of building your plane (and hoping it flies), but you learn the different parts while building which makes the repair process a lot easier. Can you recommend one of the available plans around here for a plane that meets the 1/2A requirements, guide me in selecting the materials, tools (basic), and sources of these in order for me to complete the project as well as to care for the OS 40 since he ran it dry but I am sure I should do something to it before I store it. I must state again that I am new to the hobby/sport so a first timer plan that will yield a trainer plane will be great for two reasons, I will learn to build a basic model and if done properly I will learn to fly models with it. I know some of this equipment is discontinued as per the manufacturers websites but I know it is in working conditions, I also called Hitec and asked if this transmitter is compatible to their newer stuff and they told me absolutely yes.

I will really appreciate any help/guidance regarding this matter. Again many thanks in advance for your help. [8D]
Old 12-15-2005, 05:12 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

Default RE: Newbie reaching out for guidance.

I would suggest contacting your local club to help you evaluate the goods. You will also need someone to help you with your first flights. They may also be able to loan you some tools as you start out. Many people start out with a bigger plane as they are easier to see in the air. I have a mix of bigger and smaller planes.

It sounds like the gear you have would be perfect for a Sig Kadet LT-40.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFG11&P=ML

This plane fit well into my car and had a very large wing to make it fly slower and easier to see. The kit also comes with most of the accesssories that you will need to build this plane. Sig also puts a nice tutorial in with the kit that helps you understand some of the critical basics (setup of fuel tank, use of radio, etc, etc).

Welcome to the hobby.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:22 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey bug, IF your up for a little more reading do a search for the LS150 that stands for a Littlest Stick which is for a .010 size engine,,it is increased in size by 150%. for the .049..it is a floater type high wing plane,,very simple to build and fly (2 channel) ,,you may need smaller servos and definatly a smaller battery pak. and probably a mini receiver (Rx)..for the .40 engine it would probably be fine to store as is,,but if it makes you feel better a few drops of any oil in the cylinder turn it over a few times and put it up....just remember its in there and you will need rinse it out with fuel before you start it....Rog
Old 12-15-2005, 05:37 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MNR gave some great advice. You can also get an ARF from a hobby shop. I highly recomend the World Models Super Stunts. Stick with a larger plane and save your $ the first time out. Also get with a local club and ask for help. An instructor with a buddy box connection is also a must!
Old 12-15-2005, 06:03 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You'd definitely be best off to join a club in your area and get instruction. You can find a club on the AMA website. http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx

It is usually recommended to start with a .40 size model for training as things tend to happen much slower than with a 1/2A model and it gives you more time to react. The SIG Kadet that mnrcaerobat suggested is an excellent trainer.

If you really want to scratch build a 1/2A trainer, check out this thread on building the LST 1/2A trainer. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2301186/tm.htm
You will also need micro gear for a 1/2A plane. Something like the Hitec 555 flight pack would give you all you need.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUZ92&P=7

To store your .40, put some light oil into the carb and the glow plug hole and turn the engine over a few times to coat the internal parts and then put it in a ziplock bag.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:59 PM
dieFluggeister

I third the notion of a plane like the LT-40 for a couple of reasons. First, it is larger and some say easier to learn on than a 1/2A plane. Second, you can get one Almost Ready to Fly (ARF) so it is 95% built already. That eliminates the worry over building one and gets you into the air quickly. (That's where we all want to be, right?) You can be building your 1/2A as second plane while learning to fly on the bigger one. Finally, most guys at the field, at least around my area anyway, are more familiar with planes of that size. They have the compatible equipment, starters, fuel, ect., and would probably feel more comfortable on the buddy box with you.

If you are really want to do a 1/2A, the LST Bipe mentioned can't be beat. It will just require investment in new batteries, servos, and engine and maybe a receiver to boot.

Whatever you do, be sure to come back here to 1/2A because the little planes are really a hoot and these guys here are the best!
Old 12-15-2005, 07:35 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whew![8D] I was a little worried you guys would kick me to the curb for my bigger plane suggestion. Mike why don't you ride over there and give him some lessons
Old 12-15-2005, 07:53 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Check out the beginners forum here where you'll get good advice also. I think the LT-40, RCM or Avistar all of which are .40 trainers would be your best chance for success. Smaller doesn't mean easier and what a lot of these guys are flying are actually much harder to begin with.

Finding someone at your field and knowing what their preferance is would also be a good way to start and you can double check that info with the people in the beginner forum.

By the way, I think you got a good deal. He must have not wanted to have to share it with the ex.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:26 PM
SGC

If you really want to build look into an Old Timer like the Junior60 or a Black Magick these make excelent trainers.
Stewart
Old 12-15-2005, 08:54 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I think the best trainer in the world is a 2 channel glider with 2 meters of span, something like the CARL GOLDBERG GENTLE LADY. Power it with one of your surestart engines.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:18 PM
flybug

Hi again and thanks for all your pointers. Well I did my research with the local clubs and I ended up with a few candidates (some are no longer active, no answer, only fly silent planes, beef between members, etc) and found one that is active and are having their meeting tomorrow evening which I am attending. The only problem with that is that the trainig is over and it won't start until April, 2006 (Spring/Summer). They suggested that by then I can try out the club's trainer and see if this is something I want to do or just go ahead and buy a cheap trainer http://www.raidentech.com/stev4siiiarf.html and have it ready for the trainig season. Another thing he mentioned is that they really don't do a lot of building in the club more than the ARF planes. There is only one guy who still builds and if he shows up tomorrow I will get to meet him. So from now until April is a long time when you really want to just get started. My question is can you all comment on the trainer they recommended, help me with a list of basic tools and materials I should start working on getting and keeping handy, and I found the LST trainer should I get started on trying to build it in the mean time?

Thanks
Old 12-15-2005, 11:42 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Good grief, a club that is almost exclusively ARF types. Armageddon can't be long in coming.... []

Flybug, I applaud your intrest in actually building. If this club turns out to be your final choice then perhaps a few unique (to them at least) models will encourage a new movement in the group.

By all means try out an LST trainer. It's not large and being relatively easy to build it'll serve as a fine vehicle to learn the skills and techniques. And if you have any kids around or can borrow some from friends then do not overlook the skills at building and flying that can be had through making even simple models like simple profile scale all sheet chuck or elastic band launched gliders. Model aviation has a whole universe (pardon the pun) of model types to experience. All you need is an intrest in things that fly....

PS: in my avatar pic to the left that little model is a 16 inch span rubber powered semi scale stick and tissue model. It weighs a whopping 10gms with the rubber in it. It used to fly for about 40 seconds per flight. I say used to because after about 60 flights over 3 to 4 years of ownership it found a thermal and dissapeared downwind and overhead and now resides in some farm field or the belly of a cow. But for about $2 worth of materials it provided me with many hours of enjoyment and flew like a champ. I offer this as just an anlternative taste of what this great hobby can offer if you're willing to consider building some of the stuff that does not come as ARF's.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:49 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Flybug, you might consider getting a simulator for practice. Find a hobby shop or make a friend. Somebody will be willing to buddy box with you. You gotta understand that this is also out of the regular flying season. Or move down here where it's always flying season... unless there's a hurricane coming. At any rate, it's very nearly impossible to learn without some help. I just passed my TX back and forth with a friend. He'd get me up high and pass it over. If I panicked, he grab it back. It wasn't the best way, but the club I belong to is small and has no club trainer or instructors. I did practice with a simulator first and it helped alot. I didn't use Realflight either. It was much cheaper! Heck, there's even a free one out there that's called FMS.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:09 AM
Bipe Flyer

I learned by playing toss the box too, Patrick.

Flybug,
You're doing the right thing. Check out the clubs, try the introductory flight and start building something like the LST if that interests you. If you can find a club that will start training now, then go with what they recommend. I'm not a big fan of ARFs, but I to think they are good for learning because there is less emotional attachment if they crash.

You can't beat that price for a trainer. I believe that Flyinrog has one of those, so maybe he can comment on the quality. There's no need to run out and buy one if you can't start training until April.

A simulator is an excellent idea and I can tell you that it I have found it much quicker to train people who have had simulator experience. You can buy adapters online that will allow you to use your transmitter with FMS, or you can get something like Real Flight.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:55 AM
mclintock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When training for RC, one of if not the most important concepts to master is the apparent reversal of left and right when the plane is flying towards the pilot. You always have to imagine yourself in the plane to stay oriented.
Computer sims help with this, so do rc cars. But the funnest way to get accustomed to this and stay sharp is with toy rc planes, the current favorite seems to be the 'Air Hogs Aero Ace'. It's carried by toys R us and about 30 dollars.
Here's some threads about it.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3368184/tm.htm
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=444953

I've got some other toy planes by estes and air hogs, and most are ok enough, but this aero ace seems to have more control and endurance than the others by far. Also some toy planes have a controller that can lead to confusion- since most use two motors for steering, the up and down control is not an elevator, but rather full throttle or less throttle, often the single stick controller has up for full throttle, down for less- opposite of a 'real' rc model with elevator control.
But the aero ace uses proper two sticks, so this one's ok.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:56 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

flybug,

One more opinion. If you have the bucks, buy an ARF to learn to fly with while you are also learning to build. There is less EMOTIONAL connection when (not if) you pile in your plane.

Establish contact with a designated pilot in the club...don't hand over your transmitter to just anyone. Some may feel compelled to help who are not really qualified.

Have them check out your plane and make the first flights. I think someone mentioned to find someone with a buddy box to teach you with. A buddy box allows the teacher to take control if you get into trouble. Saves planes.

Good luck.

George
Old 12-17-2005, 08:55 PM
flybug

Thank you all for your suggestions/advice, I really appreciate it. What is a good place to buy Balsa, the LHS wants an arm and an eye for a strip of it.

Cheers
Old 12-17-2005, 11:24 PM
propbuster

I agree with combat pig on the 2M gilider, although I suggest what I started on, which is an Ace High MKll motor glider. They're an easy build using foam wings, and with any old .049 on the pod, it will get to altitude slow and easy and you'll have plenty time on the way down to fly around! I've built two and still fly one regularly. There's one on Ebay right now too! As far as balsa goes Lone Star has good prices and selection although you have to place a $25 minimum order. And $25 buys a lot of wood. My LHS just plain sucks so I go to a couple of craft stores like A.C. Moore and Michael's when I just need a piece or two.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99796.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	371886  
Old 12-18-2005, 12:37 AM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I think this size of glider flies more "trainer-like" than the so called trainers do. And for me, the emotional attachment thing is also partly about money. The guy who is flying the .40 ARF 4 channel trainer will have much sweatier palms than the guy who is loafing along with his 2 channel glider. As far as I'm concerned, they are the best kept secret for planes to learn on. Much easier to fix if something goes wrong, too. The 1/2A trainer that ANDREW offers would be a great choice also, and less plane to build, but not as slow a flyer as one of those 2 meter birds.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:16 AM
eroc144

The glider is an excellent suggestion. I took a 20 year break from this hobby and had to relearn pretty much everything when I got back into it a few years ago (apparently RC flying is NOT like riding a bike, at least not for me). Having done my share of "white knuckle" training flights as a kid I chose a glider this time around. I modified one with a 6' span to take an AP .061, then had a blast flying, crashing and rebuilding it (I got pretty good at gluing wing-tips back on overnight). Flights are slow, stable and predictable, and crashes usually cause only minor damage. With the .061 I had enough power to do loops and other simple acrobatics as I got more comfortable flying. It's worked so well that I bought a buddy box and will be using the glider to train both of my kids on RC flying next spring.

The only down-side is that gliders tend to be more wind-sensitive, and on more than one occasion I had to put the plane down hard to prevent it from getting blown into the next county.

eroc
Old 12-18-2005, 09:36 AM
propbuster

Yeah, That pesky wind can get 'cha for sure! With a 6' wing span it'll catch a lot of air. See my post "The demise of my 1/2a glider".
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_27...tm.htm#2704127 Still a great way to learn the basics of RC.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58210.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	372077  
Old 12-18-2005, 01:24 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: flybug

Thank you all for your suggestions/advice, I really appreciate it. What is a good place to buy Balsa, the LHS wants an arm and an eye for a strip of it.

Cheers
There's Balsa USA, direct mail order from Sig, Lone Star and a couple of others.

Go into the Search option and put in the keywords "balsa supplier" and in the other box limit the search to the Scratch Building, Aircraft Design and 3DCAD forum and you'll get lots of threads with answers about suppliers and feedback about quality. A quick check of a couple of threads shows that Balsa USA and Lone Star seem to have a good rep.

Either way it's not cheap stuff at all.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:06 PM
Bipe Flyer

Balsa is worth it's weight in gold.

I buy most of my balsa from http://www.greathobbies.com . They sell 10 packs of most popular sizes for half the price of buying it in single sheets. http://www.towerhobbies.com does as well.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:08 PM
flybug

Well I visited the Club's airfield today and let me tell you it is well kept. They have an asphalt strip and a grass strip (for the belly Landers) Not a whole lot going on today maybe to cold for many, just a kid flying his combat planes (hand launched) and some gentlemen flying a brand new jet with turbines (xpensive) unfortunately for them the ending was not that good, coming in for landing, to high decided to go around, ran out of fuel and stalled = broken nose it hurt me but I am sure not as much as it did them. Guess that is the name of the game!

By the way, the kid that was flying out there today is the son of the owner of http://www.amocs.com/
Old 12-23-2005, 05:15 AM
Remby

Hello, you made a wise choice going for them 1/2a's!

I started RC flying with them , and have never looked back. Trainers are many if you include some of the older Ace, or other kits.

Bipe Flyers trainer here looks good to get you started building. I like a high wing for a beginner's suscess.

Many times the clubs have a shortage of 1/2a flyers, but don't let that leed you away as the smaller ones are really somthing once you are up to speed with them.

Check out the library for books, and magazines on RC. It will help in getting your questions answered about how it all works. If you ask here, you can count on getting the help to what you need to know.

Let us know how it is going!