Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Hitec flash 5 and reciver

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Hitec flash 5 and reciver

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 03:02 AM
RobinB66
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec flash 5 and reciver

Hey guys!
Iwas just wondering, My hitec flash 5 FM computer radio has all the lil extras like 2 model memory, elevon mixing, rudder aelieron mixing!
I was wodering if I have to use hitec recivers, or will some of the cheaper 4 channel microrecievers work wqith the transmitter and give the ability to use the special features? The reason I need to know is that when i build my delta and flying wing I'm gonna have to have elevon control, and unles i want to go through the tedious work of designing a slide tray setup for my elevons, i'd rather use my radio!
Later !!
RobinB!![&:]
Old 12-18-2005, 03:56 AM
The Raven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hitec flash 5 and reciver

Hi, it sounds like you have one of the earlier Flash 5 systems. Firstly, you can use whatever servo you like provided they are compatible (which I think covers almost every servo currently available on the market).

As for receivers this will depend on where you are, I believe US has negative and positive shift radio gear which tends to be brand specific. Some gear allows you to switch easily enough. Just remember your radio is PPM (FM) mode only without any PCM features, so avoid buying a PCM receiver. If in doubt ask the retailer if it'll work with your Flash 5, any retailer who can't give you a straight answer probably isn't worth buying from.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:41 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Hitec flash 5 and reciver

Raven, with Robin wanting to buy the cheap ones the PCM reciever issue won't come up. He's reffering to the super cheap single conversion types from Hitec (Feather Rx) and GWS and probably a couple of others.

Robin, a few of us have used these recievers and found that they work OK if you're flying on your own or with one other guy that is not on a frequency within two to 3 channels of yours and on slower flying models. The problem is that the cheapies are range limited and they tend to glitch badly (suffer from momentarty signal scrambling that makes the servos suddenly jump to one side) due to less than ideal performance. On a slow electric parkflyer this is just annoying. On a faster glow model it may well be the end of the model.

So my advice would be to spend a couple of more $ and go for the better options like the Hitec 555 or Electron 6. Or if you'll be buying right away I saw that FMA Direct has a sale on their M5 submicro just now for $40. In any case whatever Rx you order be sure you specify that it is for Hitec / Futaba and not JR / Airtronics. The two options use different pulse polarities and the Rx for the JR / Airtronics won't work with your Hitec Tx.

Yes, I know it's more money but the security it will offer your models is worth it. I've got a Feather and found that it's performance was scary even on the Lite Stik electric model. I would not even think of using it on a glow powered model or in at a crowded field with other models flying all the time. Some folks here have done so and probably have ulcers because of it.