Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

1/2A Foam Delta and VIDEO

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2A Foam Delta and VIDEO

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 08:44 PM
CrazyHerb-RCU-delete
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2A Foam Delta and VIDEO

Just wanted to post this for all the SMALL people.
This is a blast!
http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...662#post446227

http://www.********.net/~crazyherb/

5meg mpg wringing it out!
Fun Stuff...

High FLights!!
CrazyHerbb
Old 11-16-2002, 03:34 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default oH - my- god!

Herb, that is WILD!!

I read the post, didnt think too much about it and then downloaded the video... WOW! That is one heck of a plane, for a block of pink foam and 3 hours of your time!

Congratulations on a super flyer, and also for the skill to pilot that rocketship! And to your videographer for being quick enough to keep up with the plane!!!

For those who didnt read the other postings, tell us more about it...

GUYS, LOAD THE VIDEO, ITS WORTH THE WAIT!!!

Andrew
Old 11-16-2002, 04:58 AM
CrazyHerb-RCU-delete
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nuthing But Fun!

Thanks for the kind words Andrew!

Here's some basics.

36 inch span
24 inches long
Leave 5 inches at the tips.
3/4 inch thick pink foam from Home Depot
Round the leading edge near the nose then gradually carve/sand in some twist so the tip has more of a "flat-bottom airfoil" look.

Fin is about 6 inches tall and maybe 8 inches long at the root 3 at the tip.

First thing I did was cut the basic shape, glued the fin and carved the leading edge shape.

I then taped some weights to the nose till it balanced about 7-8 inches from the nose.

After a few tosses across the yard, working with the CG, once I achieved a nice glide I found and marked it. From there I placed radio/battery locations so that it would balance on the CG.

Slapped a 2 inch wide by 8-10 inch lite ply to the top for engine and fuel tank area...sealed it with a couple brushes of water based poly-u.

My control horns are half-popsicle sticks Pro-bond (Poly-u glue) right into the foam. With a 45 degree bevel and packing tape hinges.

I ran one line of 1 inch fiber tape across to act as a spar. And a couple straps of different color packing tape on the leading edge and down the middle (where you get some oil splatter).

2 oz dubro tank, Norvel .061 (non-R/C), standard servos, standard two channel rx, single-stick radio, 350 mah pack.

Then, the fun started.....I'm working on a second one with much less sweep....more like a pizza box flyer more wing area and lighter. Should be fun.....

Most fun I've had with a 2ftx8ft $5.95 piece of foam!!!

Let me know if anyone else is doing this....just insane fun....
You can fly crazy cause there's not the investment factor...so just go have fun and FLY CRAZY!!!

High Flights!!
CrazyHerb
Old 11-17-2002, 01:07 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1/2A Foam Delta and VIDEO

Herb,
I have been at RC for some time, but just in the last few years gotten into designing/building my own planes. Now that the coroplast/foam revolution has taken off, I am also experimenting with these types of planes (as well with traditional balas built up models).

I really get what you are trying to achieve, maximum FUN on next to nothing budget! No stress flying, because you have nothing to lose in the way of materials and time.

I have a rekindled interest in small planes since I spent the last two years basically building and flying giant scale. If you dont mind me "stealing" your idea, I am sure as heck going to try one of these 1/2A delta rockets! Thats just too cool!

Make sure and post anything else you do, it motivates a lot of us I am sure!

Andrew Coholic