Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Props? Wood? 4.5x3?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Props? Wood? 4.5x3?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 12:54 AM
flying poodle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Props? Wood? 4.5x3?

I was looking at this site because I am interested in the Quaker kit they have; nosed over to their discontiued items list and waalaaa, 1/2a props!! They have several different TF wood props in 1/2a sizes. They also have K&B plastic and cox plastic props. They even have a four blade 5x3! Can anyone give me an insight into wood props on our engines? I guess it would be tougher to get home without a few broken after all the belly landings.

http://www.pennvalleyhobbycenter.com...exoldprops.htm
Old 12-25-2005, 06:23 PM
Remby
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Props? Wood? 4.5x3?

Merry Christmas!

Thanks for the link!

I have never had much luck with wood props, even had some that were warped, and they will break the minute you hit somthing if running, or even a dead stick landing.

I also would ask the age of their K&B props as age can be affecting the material, plastic props can get quite brittle.

I use the MAS brand, and have read here about many others .

If wood props are for you, The ones on your link look to have good selection. Give them a try and let us know how it goes.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:38 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

I'd go with a Cox 5x3 for .049-.061 and 6x3 for the .061 only. Black Cox props will take lots of abuse, & grays will give slightly more thrust, but are more brittle. Anyway, the Cox props will give excellent service on draggy airframes like your Quaker, which require maximum thrust. I find that wood props rob way too much power on my 1/2a planes, and are too easy to damage.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:35 PM
jessiej

I use wood props on all my oldtimer type models. For Texaco style flying (as I do not compete I use the "style") I use rev up or zingers thinned and with a slight undercamber added.

As a matter of personal preference, I use wood almost exclusive for my engines from .049 to 1.20. Yes, there are performance advantages to some of the synthetic props and if that is what gives you the maximum pleasure, then by all means use them!. Do make every effort to keep all body parts out of the arc of all props, but especially the high tech things.

jess
Old 12-27-2005, 08:02 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

From a quick check it seems like there's nothing in there usable in size for the 1/2A stuff. However if you're looking for Texaco type oversized stuff then great.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:54 PM
flying poodle

There are several props I would like to try here bruce. Are you looking at the same part of the site I am? Under Top Flite there are 4.5x3, 4.5x4, and 4.5x5. Top Flite power props 5.25x3,4, and 5 and 6x3. K&B props show 5x4, 6x3, 4.75x3 three blade and one that would look great on a .15 size mustang, a 5x3 four blade. There are also cox props, although a limited selection. I have never seen wood props on anything under a .09, and was just wondering if they had any advantages or disadvantages. Thanks for the replies everyone.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:16 PM
SGC

I think its a matter of selecting the right prop for the model/motor combination,1/ example , I tested quite a few props in the 7" range for my 40"Simplex/1cc Barbini diesel and found best overall performance was a Zinger wood 7x5 with the APC 7x5 a close second. I'll add the APC would possiably be better on a faster model.
Stewart