Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Which fuel tubing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 12:36 PM
meowy84

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which fuel tubing?

I'm looking for some 1/2A fuel tubing that would be good for the Cox .049 product engines as well as my r/c Norvels and my .061 r/c G-mark. I'm looking at buying from Larry Driskill as I'm already getting the gelbreath head from him so why not kill 2 birds with one stone?.....So, which tubing do you guys recommend? My big requirement is a long shelf life since I anticipate it will be quite a while before I get around to building anything so I don't want the tubing to disintegrate while I'm storing it.

Anyways, Larry sells the following tubing: 1/8" OD thin wall latex surgical tubing (5 feet), 3/16" OD thin wall latex surgical tubing, amber (5 feet) Out Of Stock, KT21a is a good replacement, Med. Silicone fuel tubing (5 feet), 5/32" OD thin wall latex surgical tubing (5 feet) and the DUBRO Neoprene fuel tubing (2 feet).
Old 12-31-2005, 02:57 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which fuel tubing?

Meowy, if your gonna talk to Larry ask him ,,ie.."He IS the man" and he is not known for keeping up his website either,,I got a VA from him but have never run it,I think that he is already out and not getting anymore.( good guy though, I forgot to order a prop with my VA and he threw one in)...if your gonna do a tower order anytime soon I use the Great Planes 5/64" (2mm) silicone tubing 2 feet is ~$1.50 ....2 feet is a lot of 1/2a fuel line,,I gave out 6 or 8 packs of it at my last 1/2a funfly in october.....Rog
Old 12-31-2005, 03:23 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Latex tubing will store nicely in a ziploc bag and put in the back of the fridge for literally decades. If left out in the open where sunlight can get to it then it'll turn ugly in as little as a few months. In use I think you'll find that the sun and fuel exposure rots the tubing in about two to three months after the first use.

Silicone tubing resists all this but tears easier if you're using it on tight fittings and is not as flexible.

So silicone for inside clunk tanks or buried installations despite the flexibility issues and either silicone or latex for exposed lines.

I think Larry is selling the latex for use as pressure bladder tanks or for the guys that require pinch off functions from timers like in free flight. For day to day use the silicone line is the way to go in my books.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:06 PM
meowy84

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As always, thanks for the input guys.