Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

I got a brand new Norvel and I need some help from the Experts!!

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

I got a brand new Norvel and I need some help from the Experts!!

Old 11-20-2002, 05:46 AM
prole
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got a brand new Norvel and I need some help from the Experts!!

Hey All,

the prole here,

I just got in the mail straight from Norvel a beautiful Big Mig .049 and I need some help. I built a test stand to mount it but I have a couple questions and could use some of your expertise. The instructions are kind of vague.

What is the best motor oil to lube it with after cleaning it with alcohol. Is soaking it for 24 hours necessary?

How big a tank do you use on the test mount? Does it matter?

The only fuel I have is Cox, it says on the website that it will work fine, what are your experiences with that? Should I get some Norvel fuel first?

This is all pretty basic stuff so please don't be scared to dumb it down for me. I have no experience with one of these and I want it to last and last. I bought it as per all of the wonderful things I have heard about it here and I would appreciate any help you all could give me to get it up an kicking.

Thanks,

As Always,
T
Old 11-20-2002, 10:59 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lets see, on my .074 I broke in a couple of days ago, I used 15% cool power and Cox fuel is 15 so thats fine , but you'll want higher nitro to fly it with, I used 20/50 oil to soak in it overnight doesnt make any sense to me , but there must be some reason for it ,anyway I basically rinsed it out with fuel , hooked it up to a 2 oz tank hit it with the starter and it started to free wheel and I thought "you idiot after all you've read about this you go and break the dang crankshaft"but the prop screw backed itself out is what happend so I tightened it up , and tried again and it fired up just fine, hooked up a throttle wire and varied the throttle through 1/2 tank cut it off and did it again 1/2 hour later and then another whole tank the next day....then I ordered a quart of wildcat 20% from Tower and tried it, seemed alittle more responsive, hard to tell on the workbench....cant fly it yet but its ready when I am.........Rog
good to hear you like the small ones too...
Old 11-20-2002, 02:09 PM
Graxafone

I just got a BigMig .061 and I'm just mounting in onto the firewall. I beleive that the oil is needed to soak for 24 hours becasue the Revlite, which is a ceramic coating, is porous and it needs to soak up the oil. For more information, go to www.norvel.com and click on Technical Information. They have just about everything on Norvel's. And make sure that you get the special wrench for the glow head. I used pliers and ruined the first one, but my LHS had spares. Get some Norvel glow plugs, too.
Old 11-20-2002, 02:35 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

FYI- The cox wrench tool also works as the special head wrench for norvels.
Edwin
Old 11-20-2002, 04:41 PM
prole

Default thanks

Wow, thanks guys.

So is say, 10w-30 OK for the oil, can I use something like that?

I don't have a starter. when I first started reading around here it seemed like people were generally against them. Is that so, do you all have them but you have to be really careful. What's a good one to get if so and where.

Is it going to be a pain in the ass to flip this for a half an hour to work in the oil?

As Always,
T
Old 11-20-2002, 05:34 PM
mynameisAARON

10w30 is great ,IMHO....
let it soak as long as you can stand to leave it alone
You can start it with a "stick"...A 1 foot piece of dowel rod 1/2 inch or so...you bring the piston almost all the way up to compression then give it a firm "flick" with the stick...
It will take a little longer but you have less of a chance breaking something...
FWIW i have a gallon through my big mig and start it regularly by hand....easily
Aaron
Old 11-21-2002, 12:20 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

I think you can get a spring starter for the .049, but I use a starter on my 074...Rog
Old 11-21-2002, 02:52 AM
prole

Default spring and tank

Yeah flyinrog you can-

I actually got the spring starter and the fuel tank. I got it for something that doesn't give you space for a tank. I'm not sure if I'll wind up using it but I figured it to be a nice thing to have.

I have one for my cox engines(I should be quiet about that around here )

I've got a COX .049 and a .051 on the way that I just got from ebay for a price to killer to pass it up. I still haven't fired up the Norvel so I can't compare it but I'm anxious to.

All I've ever used before is the Cox's and I loved them to death so it'll be a sad sad day when I abandon them. They have always been good to me. I flew those plastic control lone planes with the baby bee's when I was real young, even made a little prop boat with one, the water wasn't kind to it and my dad was pissed about all the glow fuel in the pool so that was ill fated but kind of worked.

Oh my god- one more thing- will the cox glow clip work on the norvel glow plug, it seems to fit. If not, what would you recommend?

thanks guys,

As Always,
T