Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

.40 Caliber

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 04:18 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .40 Caliber

Hey, COMBATPIGG! Your idea is getting put to use as my contest entry. It'll be put together the same fashion as the delta. Lotsa air, little bit o' balsa and more POWER! For you guys that missed the reference, it's gonna look like the horizontal stab of a .40 size pattern plane.
One thing I don't really care for is the need for a small fuselage. It's going to complicate things a little and require at least five more minutes to build than the delta. 'Nother words, thirty-five minutes compared to thirty.

Specs so far:
18" span
6.5 major chord and 4.5 minor chord
100 square inches
7oz AUW assuming a balloon tank and 220nimh battery
Old 01-10-2006, 10:09 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: .40 Caliber

C'mon, man...... you can't enter a horizontal stab as your contest plane! It's the C-O-N-T-E-S-T P-L-A-N-E ! I mean somewhere in the contests' constitution it should state that each entry has to have more than $5 worth of wood and take more than an hour to slap together! For all we know, you're just gonna call SIG and ask for them to send you the stab off a SENIORITA! [have them throw in the vertical fin, too] Well, if you're going through with this, then my contest entry is going to be a 2 channel, coroplast 1/2A Pizza Box Flyer

I'll tell you what, if you try your hand at cowling in the engine and make this thing into a little streamlined bullet, then you'll really have something, especially when you see the difference that it makes. Maybe even try to adapt a GZ spinner? I haven't looked at the feasibility of that, but they are the best spinners for 1/2A I've ever seen.

My contest entry will be a speed ship for the FORA, and it needs some kind of spinner, too.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:51 PM
flyswatter

Come on pt...I am with cp. You have to build a plane - not something you can squeeze in between doing all of your honey-love furniture assignments. Whatever happened to your idea of a rocket plane? That was a worthy project. Or how about a pusher powered wing. Or a biplane - you haven't designed one on those. Come on...challenge yourself. Design and build a good flying, stable AIRPLANE!
Old 01-10-2006, 11:08 PM
combatpigg

Well, STABLE is getting kind of EXTREME, FLYSWATTER, I mean the plane above all has to be FUN. This is where it would be fun to have a fun fly challenge going on, off to the side, kind of a 1/2A muscle plane challenge. To set up an obstacle course [soccer field goals], speed trap area, count loops and rolls in a time frame, finally capped off with a precision dead stick landing. Oh ya, LOUDEST pass on the DB meter gets a door prize, too.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:18 PM
ptulmer

Loudest? My ears are still ringing from the G&Z! (the bruise from falling backwards is gone though. When that thing gets on the pipe...[sm=stupid.gif])

CP, that's kinda what I was thinking. As obnoxiously large it is, a 1 1/2" spinner is widely available and the fuselage would cover close to the entire engine. One of these pipes I have on hand would direct the exhaust out.

The rocket plane hasn't been forgotten! I guess I could've used it for the contest. No wood has been cut. NAH! I wanna do this racer!
Old 01-11-2006, 04:31 AM
Aussie Damo

C'mon pt, its a design challenge, theres not much challengeing about a 7oz delta when you guys have a whole thread on making one. do something different & CHALLENGING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-11-2006, 09:47 AM
ptulmer

This ain't gonna be a delta! We'll have a fuse on there. I'm more than a little time-limited, so this is it. If this goes quick enough, I can get back to the Blast-OFF Buzzard!

AD, how's this for a challenge: Build something that can handle a TD or even a VA and weighs considerably less than 8oz... Oh, yeah! It's challenging!
Old 01-12-2006, 09:28 PM
combatpigg

Well? Has the guilt trip settled in yet? Years from now when your kids ask you what you built for the 2006 Design Contest, and all you can do is look down at the floor and mumble, " Ah built a stab" [&o]

What you're really doing is actually pretty cool [8D]. You're building a high performance 1/2A SCIMITAR. I don't know if Bill Evans has a web site, but his POLE STAR was a good looking bird, supposedly a great flyer. I think some of his methods were heavy, and that bizarre airfoil section was full of hocus-pokus, but there was quite a following who swore by his designs. But again, we all have different expectations and definitions of what high performance is . The impression I got from his articles was you could put his planes in a circle pattern, lay the radio down and go take a leak.

We gotta talk about using a 1 1/2" spinner on a 1/2A engine though....might look cool....I guess it can't hurt to try?
Old 01-12-2006, 09:46 PM
scudrunner77

My Hornet used a 1 1/2 inch spinner. It works and looks fine. I used it with and AP 061 and found that the Carl Goldberg spinners fit the shaft fine other than there where not too many threads left for the nut to grab onto. The Dubro spinners do not come with spacers that fit 1/2a, but I'm sure an oring or something could be used.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:53 PM
scudrunner77

PT- I don't think you should feel bad at all about doing something"simple". It may turn out to be a great challenge anyways... getting it refined. I might just do a SWR myself for the contest cause I need more of an air force for this up coming season and my building time is pretty limited as well. When I dig through my box-o-balsa I often run into a stab from a kit I never finished. I think I was a FourStar .20?? Anyways... always looked to me like a prime candidate for a J250
Old 01-12-2006, 09:59 PM
combatpigg

I'm going to be drawing some side views shortly, gonna have to see what a 1.5" spinner looks like. Classic speed ship front ends are pretty stark, not alot of style. I guess you could say, "style = drag".
Old 01-12-2006, 10:06 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CP - Saw a guy fly a Nelson .40 powered Evans Simitar - faster than stink on s**t, and it landed as slow as a Kadet Sr. Unreal flight envelope. Don't know what the actual speed was, but it had to be well past the century mark. In infinite 20/20 rectal vision, I'm sorry I haven't built one yet. I wonder if Bipe Flyer would cutt me a set of cores . I think UIUC airfoil coordinated database has the plot data.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:06 PM
ptulmer

I used a 1 1/2" spinner on my DNU!. Tim made fun of it, but it looked OK. The idea is to make a round fuselage, which I've never done and will provide a challenge in CAD. OK, not alot of challenge, but some! The BOB also is going to be setup with this size spinner.
The Scimitar was a really strange looking thing to see flying. Like something off Star Wars, except the wings didn't fold up.

There will be an update soon! The design ain't really finalized yet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28844.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	386487  
Old 01-12-2006, 10:28 PM
combatpigg

HOGFLYER, No doubt the NELSON made that plane go fast, but what couldn't a NELSON make go like stink? The claim is that his unique airfoil eliminated the need to fly with reflexed elevons. We have a guy who chimes in here from time to time who attends the annual Bill Evans Fly In, says it is quite a show of force!
Old 01-12-2006, 10:35 PM
scudrunner77

So does using a 1 1/2" spinner make a 6x3 prop a 5.5x3, or does the inside diameter of the prop do so little it does not matter much?
Old 01-12-2006, 10:50 PM
combatpigg

There probably isn't much aerodynamic penalty, just a gyroscopic handycap every time you try to change direction quickly, the bigger and heavier spinner is not gonna want to change its' direction. Is it measurable? If you get 2 identical planes chasing streamers, little things begin to stand out after awhile, after you've had time to observe, same thing goes in heads up racing, the more you do it, the more tuned in you get to minor stuff. The .40-.60 sized speed freaks [world class european types] say the 1 1/2" spinner is optimum for what they do.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:13 PM
scudrunner77

I never thought of the gyro thing. I suppose this is even more true with a heavier metal spinner... But I think what I was really after was does this affect the performance of the prop. Taking 25% of it's length away....
Old 01-13-2006, 05:25 AM
Aussie Damo

AD, how's this for a challenge: Build something that can handle a TD or even a VA and weighs considerably less than 8oz... Oh, yeah! It's challenging!
sorry pt, yes i have to hand it to you that WILL be challenging especially if you are short of time

scud, have no idea about the spinnier but would be interesting to know