Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Another Great Day of Flying with a little video!

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Another Great Day of Flying with a little video!

Old 01-14-2006, 08:11 PM
Half-A-Hec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Great Day of Flying with a little video!

Howdy All,

Just got home from another great day of flying. Today I actually got to meet a fellow 1/2A Brother from the board Robert AKA Build Light. I was doing a job in his home town today and scheduled to do lunch and do some flying. This is the great part about this hobby, meeting great people. Whether it is on-line or in person! We had a great time exchanging stories and possible future projects. He showed me a Cool Russian CO2 powered RC foamy he bought. He also had a little profile Cub made from Blue Foam. We gabbed the whole day about planes. I did manage to do some flying with my Re-V-Amped though. It was a little rough flying as the winds were anywheres from 13-16 MPH[X(]. So far so good though I didn't crash. Man, one flight I was coming in for the landing and on the approach had zero ground speed. I could of probably reached out and grabbed the plane. I can't believe how well that little 7 oz. plane flew in the wind today. So after a few flights this guy pulls up and introduced himself to us. His name was Don. He said he saw me landing the Re-V-Amped and decided to stop by and see what was going on. He was also a fellow RC'er. In fact he went home and brought back two planes to fly. He had a EPP foamy and a mini-Funtana. I feel sorry for Don cuz he broke his Mini-Funtana in half on the landing. The wind made for a tricky landing that went bad for him.[:@]. Right after Don introduced himself to us here comes another spectator. He introduced himself to us. His name was Butch and he knew both Robert and Don. Now its almost a party! Four people shooting the Ya know what about RC Planes and some flying. I hope that everyone had as much fun as I did. I love this Hobby!

Hec
Old 01-14-2006, 08:39 PM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Another Great Day of Flying!

Mid January in Nebraska, and they say global warming is a bad thing..
Old 01-14-2006, 08:46 PM
Half-A-Hec

Mclintock,

The temp here was 59 degrees! We will take it! We had a great day. I think last year at this time I was shivering my ya know what off!

Hec

Old 01-14-2006, 09:09 PM
mclintock

It was so warm here the last three days that now there as no snow anywhere on the ground, and it rained liquid water from the sky!
Over 50 here too! I'm glad I'm on a hill, if this continues the sea will start rising.[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 01-14-2006, 09:27 PM
propbuster
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great to hear you guys are flying up there Half-A-Hec! Here in NC we're having a bit of snow along with 25-30 mph winds gusting to 50 today[:@]. There will be no maiden flight this weekend of the ME 109 I just finished![]
Old 01-14-2006, 10:22 PM
DonH21

Hi Hec!

I'm glad, I got the chance to meet you and Robert. Talk about a couple of nice guys!!
The Re-V-Amped is one cool, amazing plane!! Hec, your pretty sharp on the sticks!!!
I was so amazed at how well the Re-V-Amped flew in the wind! Just an all around great flier!

After, I rebuild my Mini Funtana. I'll have to try my hand at making
a little aerobatic speedster!

Take care. Don
Old 01-14-2006, 11:40 PM
build light

Ah! what a day it was today! Hardly a cloud in the sky, temp about 59 Deg, and almost no wind at all... Inside that is. Outside it was all the above except the wind kept on and on. But there was flying to be done and that was that!
The winds were locked in at close to and just a little over 15MPH!
The little bird performed sweetly and made many flights. Hec made his little bird shine! Oh sure every now and then the buffeting could be seen. The rest of the flights went well till the last landing when a couple of tiny holes got poked thrugh the covering of Hec's wing. probably a twig or something. Still a plane which performed admiriably for the wind it had to face. few would have dared try!
A testament to the abilities to this little marvel! Don and Butch both gave a thumbs up for how well this little plane perfomed. It truely looked like a .40 or.60 size plane in the air flying around except it was so small! It tracked like it were on a rail an went wherever Hec pointed it! It seemed to have no bad qualities at all. I am sure Don and Butch would easily agree! Don went back home and brought back a Pigi 3D from Hobby Lobby powered by a PJS brushless and I believe a 3S-1500 Mah battery. It was more than a handfull with the wind. The Mini Funtana did well once some air got between it and earth until the landing where it looked so good till at the very last where it looked like a hand just smacked it down to the ground, hard. Really hard. Not a good ending for her. I am sure she will fly again but it will take a little doing. pretty much broke her back just behind the cockpit. Besides a couple of broken props, the only real casualty of the day.

Don nice to meet you to and to share part of the day with you. I will join you flying next time.
Sorry about the Mini-Funtana, a beautiful plane to be sure and a good performer as well. I think it was wind shear that brought her down like that. And so close to the ground too!
Untill next time,Robert Oh here are a few shots of Hec's plane!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81471.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	387793   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77129.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	387794  
Old 01-15-2006, 01:36 AM
build light

I think a few more words and a cople of pics are in order for this day before I call it a day.

First, it was great to meet one of you who hang out here on the forum much less 2. Some may call that double dipping, I call it super!

Second, Hec, your plane is really awsome. For those who think a li'l 21" span cutie like this ( more than once was it called this) can't perform well, think again. This plane was truely a performer. Not only does it look good it is only when you see it on the wing to really appreciate it. Hec was flying low rates and it would do everything you would want. With style to spare. The rolls were very axial and the loops were smooth. Verticle performance was not lacking in the least as the little Axi motor was more than enough. I think Hec went to hight rates for his snap rolls I'm not sure. But snap it did! Quite impressive!
Most of thew time was spent about half throttle except when needed. There was one landing attempt that was a little hairy and that was because the wind had picked up a bit. Half throttle just made it hold place. Forward ground speed at that point was 0. This made Hec a little nervous but a little more juice and she came through with flying colors!

I have some low quality video I need to share somehow and a couple more ground shots I can post now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99221.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	387846   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43261.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	387847  
Old 01-15-2006, 01:44 AM
hogflyer

ORIGINAL: propbuster

Great to hear you guys are flying up there Half-A-Hec! Here in NC we're having a bit of snow along with 25-30 mph winds gusting to 50 today[:@]. There will be no maiden flight this weekend of the ME 109 I just finished![]

propbuster,

25 - 30 is just a light breeze here in Kansas
Old 01-15-2006, 09:23 AM
Half-A-Hec

Don,

It was great meeting you and Butch. When ya get the little speedster done you must share with us here at the Forum. What are ya thinking? Sorry about your Mini-Funtana. Man I thought you had it on the landing. It was looking good till the last moment. [:@] I am sure it will be up in the air soon. Looking at your Funtana has given me some great ideas on building my Canopy and access hatch for a Shoestring I am working on. As I said earlier, if you are ever in Omaha and want to do some flying give me a call. Thanks for all the kind words regarding my Re-V-Amped as well. It's nice to get feedback from other RC'ers. I will be returning to Crete soon and maybe we can all go flying again. I will keep ya posted on the date.

Hec
Old 01-15-2006, 09:52 AM
propbuster

ORIGINAL: hogflyer

ORIGINAL: propbuster

propbuster,

25 - 30 is just a light breeze here in Kansas
I guess our plane isn't in Kansas anymore TOTO! [X(]
Old 01-15-2006, 09:53 AM
flyinrog

sounds kinda like the way the Carolina 1/2A Crew started....Nebraska 1/2A Crew...sounds cool to me....Rog
Old 01-16-2006, 10:00 AM
Half-A-Hec

Default RE: Another Great Day of Flying with a little video!

Howdy All,

Build Light managed to take some video footage of the Re-V-Amped in action. I don't know how he held the camera steady in the 15 mph wind![sm=lol.gif]. These probably are the best of the videos. The plane was way to high for the camera in the other videos. Looks like a little white dot. Hey, I was flying 10 mistakes high due to the wind factor. I was definately pushing the range limits of that GWS 6 channel receiver. Website sez its good to 1,000 ft. Amen to that Brother!

Keep Yer Eye on the Birdie!

http://media.putfile.com/Re-V-Amped-in-15-MPH-Wind

Don't fly in to the Sun like me! Doh[8D]

http://media.putfile.com/Re-V-Amped-in-the-Sun

Hec
Old 01-16-2006, 09:25 PM
DonH21

Hec,
I'm not sure, but I'm thinking of a down size a Sig 4 star 40.

Yea, I like the hatch idea too. The MFuntana tail stalling before the wing.
I've only flown it a few time last summer. As long as I fly it to the ground, no problem,
but as soon as I slow it down the trail starts drops. Didn't thing it was that big of a deal, untill I forgot about it. I'm sure I hit a down draft like Robert mentioned. Since I'm rebuilding it, I might as well enlarge horizontal stabilizer.

Robert, get looking videos! I'm amazed you could keep up with that fast little plane![X(]

I agree, all of us will have to get together again and go flying!!

Take care. Don
Old 01-16-2006, 09:31 PM
Half-A-Hec

Don, Sounds cool! Do you have some plans that you can scale down? I have a set of Astro Hog Plans that I could size down in Auto Cad and get ya a print. If you like Astro Hogs that is. Maybe you can build an .061 powered plane and even enter the 2006 Contest here on the board! Robert did good keeping up with the plane. Its hard to keep your eye on it when the dang pilot flies it into the Sun![8D].

Hec
Old 01-16-2006, 10:06 PM
build light

quote by Hec:
"Its hard to keep your eye on it when the dang pilot flies it into the Sun! . "

Is that what happened? I thought I was just passing out gyrating around trying to keep up with the little beast! Hee Hee. I had a great time with it. We will do better when the winds die down from a gale and get some slower, lower flybys. Plus if you can do a couple of snaprolls about eye level (maybe a little higher) and closer in like within 20feet or so we can get something decent to show of this little jewel!
Old 01-16-2006, 10:51 PM
Half-A-Hec

B.L.

I did a little surgery to the bottom of the wing tonight. I sucessfully removed the landing gear without damaging the wing, and tomorrow I will install a new set so that the center of the wheel lines up with the leading edge. Should give me much better ground handling. Oh well live and learn.

Hec
Old 01-17-2006, 03:27 PM
DonH21

Hec,
The Astro Hog Plans, sound great! Never had one, but always thought of building one.
Sure, I'll take you up on it, if it's not a problem.

Build light,
Better have a wide angle lens to catch the fast little plane!!!!

Take care. Don
Old 01-17-2006, 04:43 PM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: DonH21

Hec,
I'm not sure, but I'm thinking of a down size a Sig 4 star 40.

Yea, I like the hatch idea too. The MFuntana tail stalling before the wing.
I've only flown it a few time last summer. As long as I fly it to the ground, no problem,
but as soon as I slow it down the trail starts drops. Didn't thing it was that big of a deal, untill I forgot about it. I'm sure I hit a down draft like Robert mentioned. Since I'm rebuilding it, I might as well enlarge horizontal stabilizer.

Robert, get looking videos! I'm amazed you could keep up with that fast little plane![X(]

I agree, all of us will have to get together again and go flying!!

Take care. Don
http://www.donatelli.net/_write/contest2005/

heres my downsized four star,,probably still could find the plans....Rog
Old 01-18-2006, 08:59 AM
Half-A-Hec

Flinrog,

That's a nice looking plane. How did it fly? Do you have the plans in some sort of Cad format? If you do, could you email them to me and will plot out a set for Donh21.

Hec