Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Va's.. Cyclons... and Norvels... Oh My

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Va's.. Cyclons... and Norvels... Oh My

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 08:17 AM
Nitro-Nut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Va's.. Cyclons... and Norvels... Oh My

A Couple of Questions for the 1/2a Engine Gurus here in RCUniverse land...

Would anyone have pics of a VA 049 cylinder sleeve and it's transfer and boost ports???

Is there a distributor for VA engines in the US?

Does anybody fly with a Cyclon 049, 051, 061? How would you compare them to Norvels, Va's, and TD's?

Thanx
Old 11-25-2002, 12:53 PM
Jeff Leavitt

Mr. NN,

I have some VA piston and sleve assemblies, but as yet I have no pictures. I'll have to see if I can get some put together.

The VA motors are distributed by Larry Driskill, of "Kitting it Together" 806-796-3747. email @ [email protected].

How will you be using your 1/2a's? Not too often we see posts about ports, boost ports, etc. Sounds like another power hungery 1/2a junkie! Welcome aboard! Best Regards, Jeff
Old 11-26-2002, 03:24 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought about 5 VA MKI engines, currently have two in planes (sig hummer and ace simple 400). The VA 049, on the APC prop and same fuel I ran in the Cox td 051 it replaced, runs WAY stronger. I still love my cox engines, not saying the TD ran bad but the VA runs stronger, and never overheats. Also has a muffler which is nice.

I like the VA and I'd recommend it. Dont have any of the newer MKII's however, just the MKI.

Andrew Coholic
Old 11-26-2002, 05:07 AM
1fishnfool
My Feedback: (42)

Default engines

I have run cox,norvels,and cyclons and the cyclon is WAY superior to both of those.They are hands down the best 1/2a engine that i have ever run.They start easy,needle easy,and make tons of power.
Old 11-26-2002, 01:55 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A cyclon also costs $150.00
Old 11-26-2002, 03:48 PM
1fishnfool

Default $150 cyclon

It`s only money!!!!you know the saying,"you get what you pay for"
Old 11-26-2002, 05:01 PM
ajcoholic

Yes, power costs $$, allways has, allways will.

I had a NIB VE (shuriken derivative, ie, seconf generation) a few years back that I decided to sell off. THAT was one beautifull engine, and I am kicking myself in the A&& ever since I let her go. Only paid $205 US for it, they now go as high as $400 to collectors. I'd have run mine though!

Andrew
Old 11-26-2002, 06:12 PM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

I never see anything about the Chinese CS engines. They are top dog for speed. They are around $200 US for the .049 but they win contests all the time. Does anyone have one that they can share some info on?? Or maybe a pic too??
Old 11-26-2002, 07:26 PM
1fishnfool

Default cs engines

I don`t have a cs,but this is what i have seen and heard.first off,they are heavier than any of the other 1/2a engines.doesn`t matter for some applications,but for others it does.Also,from the speed guys i have heard that they are kinda tricky to get set up to make the killer power.I think they weigh about an ounce more than the cyclon,and then to make good power you need to add a pipe....it would be fun to play with one and see!!!!!
Old 11-26-2002, 07:36 PM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

Heck I would just like to hear one run!!! If you have never heard 30K on the ground, then it's like Top Fuel Dragsters, you just have to be there to understand the sound.
Old 11-26-2002, 10:29 PM
ajcoholic

The fastest engine I have run is a .15 Neslon set up for competition free flight. Man, dont remember what prop I had on there (it is my friend's engine from Tennessee) but it was turning into the 30,000's and LOUD. I have run everything from .01 to 105cc gas twins, never have been scared to run a motor, but man that Nelson was SCARY!! In a good way though

Andrew
Old 11-27-2002, 12:42 AM
mynameisAARON

http://home.earthlink.net/~whizzz/welcome.htm

I think this is the site for CS engine's...let me know if i'm wrong

Aaron
Old 11-27-2002, 12:57 AM
Jeff Leavitt

I have a CS. One of the last of the old style motors. I ran it on the bench a little and it was apparent that it would need some careful set up work to make it really perform. !/2a speed is a much different animal that anything we do in RC. Most of us would not be too happy if our engine was only good for three or four flights. I hear that the new engine, Called a CZ is a little better than the old ones and I believe that they are being sold by Whizz marketing. Last I checked the new CZ was 85-90 bucks. They have a normal and a piped timing version. IMHO these engines are for real engine enthusiasts with a machine shop at their disposal. And, yes, they are a little heavier and larger that the rest of the 1/2a stuff. OBTW, mine is for sale, $60 plus shipping will bring it to your door. Has less than six runs on it.....
Rgds, Jeff.....