Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Low wing DNU!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 10:31 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low wing DNU!

Hey, if someone calls you "Meister Drafter", you just gotta prove him right! Same as the regular DNU!, but low wing. Here ya go Kid, it's .pdf.

http://www.ulmer-rc.com/files/DasNotUgly-lw.zip
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48196.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	396331  
Old 01-27-2006, 10:37 AM
brocja01

Default RE: Low wing DNU!

I just isn't fair. I just finished my DNU and now you come out with a low wing version. I'm now going to get in trouble with the wife for wanted to start this build. I want to know how all you guys stay married with this Hobby!!!
Old 01-27-2006, 10:53 AM
ptulmer

ORIGINAL: brocja01

...I want to know how all you guys stay married with this Hobby!!!
My brain ain't my biggest asset... This isn't tested or anything! I just moved the wing saddle and servos on the original.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:58 AM
brocja01

I'll put it on my list. I have a few engines laying around that might make this fly. Maybe this fall sometime.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:50 AM
KidEpoxy

Maybe the PTU DNU series, Classic / Low / Bipe... now to make a modular fuse & bolt on the wingset you want & bolt on a 'saddle plug' for the area you dont have a wing in. One Fuse = 3 planes.

---edit--
I hope you dont mind, but I'm gonna stick with inverting the fuse & tweek the saddle/fin, I just like the lines of the low wing flattop & sagging belly more than the bumptop standard. If my bank EVER gets that new Visa to me I'll slap one of these together cobuildinuosly with the challange plane
Old 01-27-2006, 01:33 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

What this needs to really differentiate it from the other DNU is a Junkers style round top fuselage with a squared off fin and a little windscreen and some wheels. And I guess it should also have the fake cylinder head showing as well as a radiator shroud to bury the engine and a fake gun as well as.......

Hmmmmm..... I think I just found my Design Contest model..... I wanted to make a DNU for this summer anyway.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:45 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not start a whole new contest separate contest - based on the DNU. It has to be a modified DNU. Do anything you want but leave some resemblance to its heritage, and it can't be stock to the plans w/o modification.

Hogflyer
Old 01-27-2006, 02:23 PM
D Bronk

Sounds like my nephews Toys The TRANSFOMERs`.Ya think it`s one thing,Then they show its something differant ,all together.WOULd be neat take the, bolt on saddle cover,off the bottom,of the fuse.. Unbolt the wing ,from the top .Move it to the bottom screw everything back together.2 extra wing sets .1 of them a bolt on ,the other a plug in,and instant TRI plane...THAT Would break up the monotony.Wonder about the balancing though.??
Old 01-27-2006, 09:28 PM
KidEpoxy

Uncle Dave- The balancing could be done with a properly weighted Saddle Plug... when the lower wing is off & the Lower Plug is in, the plane might need front Wt, so the Plug has a bit of weight in the front of it... maybe the Top Plug may need aft wt in the plug. I dont know, but it could have balance incorporated into the Saddle Plug for Presto-Change-Omatic... of course I havent lifted a crayon for this one yet, so I have no idea if this is semi-feasible
Old 01-28-2006, 10:54 AM
ptulmer

Bruce, I like the sound of that! I was looking to see if Sig had a canopy that would look nice, but you just nailed it.

Hogflyer, I contest based on the original concept would be fun. A "shop hack" contest! The two rules, it would have to accept any 1/2a engine of reasonable power and be easy to build.

The rest of you guys are nuts! KE, I don't mind at all. My ego isn't so big as to think my "plans" are the only way to do things. Shoot, most of the time, they're not even the BEST way to do things!
Old 01-29-2006, 03:43 AM
BMatthews

Here's what I'm thinking of as inspiration for a "Stand Way Back And Squint Scale" Junkers low winger.....

Old 01-29-2006, 12:55 PM
KidEpoxy

"Stand Way Back And Squint Scale" is better than some of my "Beer Goggles Required" scale beasts. How to do the corogated siding? Ruler & #1 philips embossing some balsa? Man that would be a pain to iron cover.

gotta get a replacement Digi camera for the lost one, but I'm too cheap to shell out $99... what happened to the $69 & $79 2mpxl digis?
Old 01-29-2006, 02:52 PM
BMatthews

... wellllll..... I think I'd just sort of kinda forget to do the corrugated part. OK?
Old 01-29-2006, 02:55 PM
mikegordon10

Hey brocja, it's easy, wifes 3 - hobby 1. It's easy to find new wifes they're a dime a dozen. AND we all know the hobby costs more than that!
Old 01-29-2006, 03:51 PM
KidEpoxy

but in a divorce, does she get half the servos & the wings, you get the TX & the fuzes?
Old 01-29-2006, 05:19 PM
hogflyer

My ex never did like my "damned toy airplanes that cost way too much money". I got away with all my toys - at least the ones I haven't crashed yet . I kept the important stuff like the models, she got the house.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:58 PM
mikegordon10

Guess either I'm a real a**h*** or smarter then the average bear cause with two of the "D" words I never lost a thing. They paid the lawyer both times and I got the house and most of what was in it. Go figure!
Old 01-29-2006, 11:55 PM
hogflyer

Considering the house was that that age where a lot of stuff is going to have to be replaced - and all big ticket items, I'm glad I'm 450 mi. away .
Old 01-30-2006, 12:01 AM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy
How to do the corogated siding? Ruler & #1 philips embossing some balsa? Man that would be a pain to iron cover.
Followed a Junkers build thread in the scale forum. The guy there used a corrugated plastic sheet originally made for building scale buildings on train sets. It had a good corrugated appearance and took paint fairly well. Should make a passable scale look for a plane like that.

Check the following link for images of the plastic sheet textures available.
http://www.oakridgehobbies.com/images/gpageimage/69.gif

Duke
Old 01-30-2006, 12:12 AM
BMatthews

Yeah, but at our sizes and weight allowances there's no way I can afford to cover it with corrugated plastic and then paint it.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:30 AM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

Bruce,

The stuff the guy was using in the build thread was pretty thin (0.056" I think including the corrugations, so actual material thickness had to be 0.015" or so). For a few sheets to cover a DNU fuse, I've got to think that even with the paint you shouldn't add more than 1/2 to 3/4 ounce. A few lightening holes in the solid sheet sides on the DNU and you shouldn't end up adding much weight after all. As light as they fly, I would think I could fly mine with an extra ounce without much trouble.

Duke
Old 01-30-2006, 09:16 AM
ptulmer

Any of you guys that downloaded the plans already, but haven't printed them, please download again. I fixed the second former. If you've already printed them, PM me and I'll fix up a single sheet with the former on it.

Bruce, with the Ace wings and all, mine was 12oz. It still was quite a performer at that weight. I'm with you about having selective amnesia. I ain't got enough time to worry about scale details. If it weren't for the short build times associated with 1/2a, I'd have had to give up the hobby a long time ago.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:38 PM
Sneasle

hey, i need a quick favor. i dont have the dnu plans on me, but i am swinging by the LHS after school and i dont remember what all i needed for the DNU. can anyone give me a breif rundown of balsa sizes that i need to grab and how much of them? is thin and medium CA good enough for this or do i need some epoxy as well?

ya.. just the standard DNU, no modification .. yet..
Old 09-30-2009, 01:48 PM
KidEpoxy

uh-oh
that plan aint as available as it was a while ago
Old 09-30-2009, 03:18 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Much easier if the wife bolts, she took everything but my bed, dresser and TV..then when I filed she said, "I've been told I should get $6k (2 year marrage),,I said "I'll kill us both before I give you $6k!!...still had to give her $3k to walk out and then said, "well you got the house!"....so what are me and 3 pomeranians supposed to do with a 3 bedroom 2.5 bath house?,,We were still on speaking terms, but she has since passed from smoking any/everything....Patrick good to see you around,,I have had too long of an absence of flying and gotta get back in the game,,still have the skydrill on the kitchen table...looks close to the low winger...sometimes life throws a lot at ya....Rog

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.