Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

CG for Cox 182 Skylane

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

CG for Cox 182 Skylane

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 06:06 PM
propbuster
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CG for Cox 182 Skylane

Hi Guys, I found an old foam Cox Skylane with out any engine or gear in it. I'll have to make a new firewall too as it appears that someone tried to glue the original back in and used some kind of glue that ate up some of the foam Does anyone know where the CG would be for this model? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36752.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	397951   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62269.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	397952  
Old 01-29-2006, 07:17 PM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: CG for Cox 182 Skylane

Wow- great find. I have one I got from a yard sale for free, no radio, but had the original Cox engine in it with metal backplate. Fun little plane to fly. I balance mine on the spar. Hold it up to light and you should be able to see it. You'll need all the throw you can get out of the rudder, and a good bit out of the elevator too.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:45 PM
subarubrat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me just step to the basement and measure it up. I have three flying right now, one OEM, one Norvel and full house controls, and one electric with 4 channel. Trust me on this, while it is an OK plane with just 2 or 3 channels, it does a clark kent -> superman thing when you bring modern controls and a powerplant to it. I use a Norvel .061 with throttle, HS55s for ailerons, rudder, elevator and brakes, and HS50s for flaps and throttle. Ailerons do something dramatic for this plane but flaps are where the magic happens. I have never a plane that responds to flaps like this one.

Here is a thread on the one I converted:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_30...tm.htm#3093854

Give me a few to go measure the CG.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:23 PM
propbuster

Great looking 182 subarubrat! It must be a blast to fly with full house control too. I'm going to stick with the original two channel set up as I have an older futaba attack ll radio set looking for a home. I've got a Sure start .049 to put on the front and think I can fit a 1oz tank right behind it. On the fire wall reconstruction, does the original have any right or down thrust angle to it? I've fabricated one to fit but will wait to hear back from you before epoxying it up. Thanks [8D]
Old 01-29-2006, 09:59 PM
subarubrat

2.5 to 2.75 inches back is where mine are at. I have one that is flying with the original engine and radio and yes it will fly well but it is like night and day. If you do fly 2ch I would suggest making a pack from AAAs, you can place it behind the tank and get good balance.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:43 AM
subarubrat

I will check on that thrust angle on the stock one in the morning. I fly mine with the norvel and electric with no down or right thrust.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:24 PM
propbuster

Thanks for the help guys! subarubrat, now I'm thinking about putting a TD on the front instead of the product engine to spice her up a little!
Old 01-31-2006, 02:00 AM
subarubrat

The plane can handle the speed, it is actually a fairly slippery design. Of course it won't be very scale at that speed. The speed range is very broad on that model. I normally fly the norvel at 1/2 throttle, with the flaps up and the engine at full it really has a warbird like performance. With the engine at it's lowest idle and the flaps down it is very parkflyer like. I looked at my OEM one and it appears to have pretty much centerline thrust angles and I can tell you that my norvel and electric fly awesome with no down or right thrust.

Do you have a cowl for it?
Old 01-31-2006, 06:17 AM
propbuster

ORIGINAL: subarubrat

The plane can handle the speed, it is actually a fairly slippery design. Of course it won't be very scale at that speed. The speed range is very broad on that model. I normally fly the norvel at 1/2 throttle, with the flaps up and the engine at full it really has a warbird like performance. With the engine at it's lowest idle and the flaps down it is very parkflyer like. I looked at my OEM one and it appears to have pretty much centerline thrust angles and I can tell you that my norvel and electric fly awesome with no down or right thrust.

Do you have a cowl for it?
If it flys anything like the full scale plane, with the flaps all out it should really slow down to a nice walking speed. While practicing MCA (minimum controllable airspeed) in a full scale 172, with the flaps all out and a 30 mph headwind, Ive had a 172 just above stall practically hanging in the air! No, I don't have the cowl, I thought I'd try to find some kind of plastic soda bottle or something to fabricate one. I'll try to line up the new firewall at centerline thrust too. Some of the foam on the very front bottom of the fuse is gone but the outer skin is intact, so I'll have to build it back with balsa and it won't be noticable. I'll post some more pics when I get her all back together.