Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Bushings for servo controls

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Bushings for servo controls

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2002, 06:30 AM
rick121x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bushings for servo controls

I wanted to use a micro servo to control the throttle for a 0.074 Norvel engine. The holes in the servo arm are .032 Dia. and the throttle arm holes are .062 Dia. Not a good match! For lightness I wanted to use.032 dia. wire for the linkage.

I fiddled around trying to increase the link wire diameter with solder and was not very succesful. Then I decided to reduce the hole diameter. Epoxy wasn't a very good solution - although I didn't try metallized epoxy - that might have worked better.

My solution came from cleaning and abraiding the throttle arm a bit and melting nylon material in and around the holes. Since nylon is good enough for the servo arm, I thought why not use nylon for a bushing in the throttle arm holes? Yep, it works great!

For nylon material I used the an old servo arm, gently heated the throttle arm with a small soldering iron, then just kind of "smooshed" the nylon into and around the holes. Trim it up a bit and carefully drill a 1/32 hole - centered in the nylon filling.

Presto, there you are, a perfectly set up, "(nearly) no play" linkage using 032 wire.