Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Single channel trim guide

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Single channel trim guide

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single channel trim guide

Gentle Readers (if you read Miss Manners) - or -
Dear Youse-all (for us Yankee-to-C1/2AC transplants) - or -
Hey Bubba (for Southern natives) - or -
Comrades (for former Communist-bloc residents) - or -
Hail Caesar (... OK, I quit),

I have been digging through my old magazines looking for nothing in particular. But in 1965 I found two articles that I thought some of youse (or yunz if you prefer) might find interesting. I tried to send the whole articles in the format that comes out of my photo scanner but got rejected because they are too large. So here is what I think I can load this time . . .
From MAN, May 1965 excerpts from an article on how to trim a Class 1 (rudder, engine) R/C model. The first attachment tells the goal and the second is a condensation of the steps the author takes - like a cheat-sheet.

I guess I could post the whole five pages one-at-a-time if anyone is interested. I just got a little frustrated getting rejects. So, reply if I have whetted anybodies curiosity and in a day or two I'll add the whole thing. (Don't expect miraculous revelations, its pretty much common-sense and FF trimming logic).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13326.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	402990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96954.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	402991  
Old 02-06-2006, 01:15 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Single channel trim guide

I need your insurance company info for the permanent deformation of my neck.[sm=stupid.gif]
Old 02-06-2006, 01:46 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Vic, or should I say,

!!!!!
. .
V

Perhaps you could consolidate your insurance claims and include your already existing deformities - in your brain!

As an alternative to twisting your head you could (pick one). . .

A. Pick up the monitor and turn it sideways (this may take you two or three turns to get it right)

B. Print out the attachments and turn them until the printing becomes clear.

C. Call me the next time you are in the neighborhood and I'll read them to you over lunch.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:53 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice! does this help anyone?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62187.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	403226  
Old 02-06-2006, 06:12 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

The very thought of trying to build and fly a rudder only job makes my skin crawl! Thanks for the info guys. Very interesting.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:35 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It was simple. Climb into the wind. Descend with the wind. [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 02-06-2006, 06:43 PM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In Welgemoed's article, he mentions bang-bang engine control. Was there some way to turn the engines in these class I models off in flight or switch between idle and full?
Old 02-06-2006, 08:44 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As I remember. It was 1 audio tone generator that was pulsed on and off to cause the rudder to wiggle back and forth. 50 % on 50 % off = neutral.
Control of the rudder was 20 % = full left-- 50 % = neutral -- 80% = full right.
0 % = slow engine-- 100 % = full speed.

It gave variable rudder either way, between 20 % and 80 %.

Simple, but VERY effective.

You always had a choice then. Use that or fly a kite.

Pilot skills were EVERYTHING.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:12 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

The very thought of trying to build and fly a rudder only job makes my skin crawl! Thanks for the info guys. Very interesting.
My own foray into RO flying has positively been the most fun I've had in model flying for years. It ranks right up there with thinking you're skunked on a contest glider flight and as you turn to try for at least a few spot landing points you get a bump and decide to try it and end up skying out of a little bubble that you have to play like a 20 lb trout on 10 lb test line for the first 4 minutes until it gets up to a decent height.

Make up an LS 150 with the large span and full dihedral and join in the fun! If you're worried that much add a throttle so you can bail out if it's not quite in trim.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Oh, I like the idea of using an "updated" LS-150. I had been looking at the original LW Kitten plans and thinking I might actually get one done in time for Bob Harris' Spring event. But since I have a ready-to-try LS-150 just sitting there staring at me - well maybe the Kitten will just have to wait its turn. Just cut the wing down the center and add a touch more dihedral and disengage the elevator servo - I'm in business (I alrady have motor control).
Old 02-06-2006, 11:34 PM
BMatthews

Raymond, remember that if you reduced the decalage as per the elevator included plans you'll need to dial in some up trim on the servo before you fly. Also you'll want to add a stack of 2 or 3 downthrust washers.

The trim of an R/O model is a mixup of one factor fighting another to result in a balance. The model flies with a relatively forward (by our typical standards) CG location countered by a fair amount of decalage or up elevator trim. This would normally make the model climb to a stall or loop but by countering this with a heap of downthrust we end up with a controlled climb roughly equivalent to a strong uphill glide.

I also found with my Mini Reb that if you have the chance to do so that a slight mush or stall oscillation in the glide is a great way to go. Then you can use just a nice big open turn and the glide smooths out without a strong descent resulting. Just fly it in a series of long S turns or live with the slight pitch oscillation.

Landings are best done with a final constant radius turn sized so the model is in a moderate speed spiral descent. Then when you correct it to straight and level the speed results in a nice pull up to level flight and roll onto the wheels. On about 1/5 of my flights over a smooth grass field I've managed to touch down with a nice flare and rollout that ends within 20 feet of me. At least one person had to be shown that there was no elevator on it after that...

See why I like this style of flying so much?
Old 02-07-2006, 08:20 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

Thanks for the reminder Bruce,

The Kitten plans I have from the original magazine article don't show an 'active' elevator although I'm sure there were later ones (like the electrified one one that showed up in the last year or so). So I wouldn't plan to change its decalage.

However, you're right about the LS-150 needing a nudge in the back end.

I also ran into a set of plans by Jack Headly from the long defunct RC Sportsman tabloid for a 1/2A RO design. Its called the Champ (bears some resemblance). I might have to take a look at it before I decide which model to build.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:07 PM
flyswatter

You know, my very first RC experience was back in the early 60s with an OS single channel set (push button) and a RO Ace(?) Nomad pylon powered glider. Engine was a 020 PeeWee and the glider was covered with silkspan and clear dope. I had great fun with that little glider. Wish I could find another Nomad - I would build it and let pt practice his RO skills (when he can get the stick away from me)!
Old 02-07-2006, 12:17 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

So, what your saying is to get a peewee to fly anything, you have to take the servos out first.[sm=lol.gif]
Old 02-07-2006, 01:36 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone flown the Ace Guppy? I have one stuff in a box, wings joined but the fuse will need to be rebuilt. Is is any good on single channel, or better left in the box or hanging from the ceiling. From what I remember the wing was somewhat heavy.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:05 PM
BMatthews

At Dave Fritzke's site the address is there for Ted Strader who is still selling copies of his old plans. The Nomad among them. For a few bucks you could relive the dream.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:11 AM
flyswatter

Thanks Mr. B. I will look that one up. If pt keeps up with the snide comments, then I won't let him fly it when it is done.