Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Norvel, vs Cox, vs AP Engines

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Norvel, vs Cox, vs AP Engines

Old 11-30-2002, 04:11 AM
troytday
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Norvel, vs Cox, vs AP Engines

Just getting replies on all of you small .074 and under glow engine users. What is everyones favorite engine for durability, dependability, and longevity. This only replies to Cox, Norvel, and AP Engines. Thank's guys this will help a bunch of new 1/2 A users as well as veterans reviewing this forum.
Troy...............
Old 11-30-2002, 05:59 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have Norvel and COX engines and a friend has a couple of AP's. I would say that the Norvel's are more powerful and lighter than the others. I know you didn't ask, but I have a TT .07 and it is heavier and less powerful than the Norvel .074.
Old 11-30-2002, 03:16 PM
jettstarblue

Default 1/2A

Norvels all the way! After years of running Cox engines, I have to say Norvels are the way to go.

Jetts
Old 11-30-2002, 05:34 PM
MikeSell
My Feedback: (2)

Default Impressions & experience

I have about 7 cox engines left, 10 norvels, and 2 AP engines. Cox engines run well at full throttle but there is no cheap effective throttle or muffling system. The AP engines (.09 & .15) are comparatively heavy but have a convient muffler if it can be worked into the airplane design. They throttle well and have reasonable power.
I buy norvels because they are light, quiet, fuel efficent, inexpensive, durable, reliable, powerful, and fit in almost no room whatsoever. Their mufflers are lacking in the way they seal. Some people tap the crankcase to get reliable tank pressure.
In my opinion each engine has its use. I find that Norvels cover more of my needs.
Old 12-04-2002, 03:12 AM
Hook
My Feedback: (1)

Default Re: Impressions & experience

Originally posted by MikeSell
I buy norvels because they are light, quiet, fuel efficent, inexpensive, durable, reliable, powerful, and fit in almost no room whatsoever. Their mufflers are lacking in the way they seal.
Ditto

Norvel engines make 1/2A fun again. No more Cox for me.

I use the copper hi-temp silicone to seal my muffler. That is the only problem with these small enigines.
Old 12-04-2002, 02:28 PM
MikeSell
My Feedback: (2)

Default Silicone sealer

I tried silicone but it always wanted to peal off. I have mainly cowled applications and disturbing the extension tube during assembly always breaks my seal. I may have to seal it and use a hi-temp cable tie.
Old 12-04-2002, 05:25 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've used high temp silicone to seal a couple of Norvel mufflers. What I did was clean the muffler with alcohol and put some silicone on it. I then covered it with a small piece of wax paper, clipped the muffler into place and let it dry over night. The next morning I removed the muffler and the wax paper and trimmed the silicone with an Exacto knife. This left a silicone gasket attached to the muffler