Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Mini Telemaster build

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Mini Telemaster build

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 10:33 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Telemaster build

I think I know why the kits were so cheap. The plans have a black line running through them and the balsa is all warped up. There's almost no laser cut parts. Basically, just the ribs. Lotsa sticks though![:'(] Otherwise, it looks like building it the same as the electric version and just replacing the firewall with a solid one should result in a good balance on the CG.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:31 PM
norvelnut

Default RE: Mini Telemaster build

Yep, that's about all there is to a gas conversion of the Telemaster(teletubby?) Mine was a great flyer until I changed out trh transmitter one day ----it flew by itself, then suddenly verical dorked in! What a sad end.

[] Norvelnut
Old 02-15-2006, 06:04 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been considering getting one of these at this low price but whats this about a black line running through the plan? And all the warped wood? Could you enlighten me alittle more on this?

I like a good deal but...

Robert
Old 02-15-2006, 07:35 PM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Looking at the telemaster compared to say a herr kit is a bit of a shock, like you said it's mostly sticks.. But so is the plane!

I hate to hear about the black line through the plans, I bought my mini tele a while back and the plans were blue line and quite neat.. Here's a couple of pics in this old post
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=1676153

are the plans now a xerox type thing?
Old 02-15-2006, 07:43 PM
ptulmer

Well, the black line ain't service effecting, but it's ugly. The plans I have look like a copy, definitely not blue line. B/L, I don't know another way to say it! Every piece of wood is warped. It's a terrible quality kit for thirty bucks. At twenty it's acceptable. I can replace the worst pieces and the rest don't matter. I oughta change my username to "Build Straight".[8D]
What bugs me about stick built kits is they don't save any weight. The wood is thicker and all that glue... ugh. It just takes longer to build.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:51 PM
build light

I would be offended that my kit had plans in that condition but I wouldn't return it if it didn't effect anything. I would simply be offended and would feel I deserved better.

As for the warped wood, I would take a bit more offense but If I could salvage a plane out of it I wouldn't return it.

As for the parts, I would deem this as acceptable that the only laser cut parts were the ribs but would prefer more. All the rest are straight pieces without curves, Right? And then there are all those sticks! Well this of course how the original Telemaster was designed and this one apparantly just follows through.

Let us know how it goes, just make it purty!

Robert
Old 02-15-2006, 08:51 PM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You gotta tip your hat to those who not only stick build everything, but have the patience to do it with out CA. There is an uncovered old timer hanging in the LHS that I keep meaning to take a picture of....it's got something like 1000 pieces in the wing alone! I think a stick built 1/2A telemaster would be cool with tinted cellophane or doculam.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:35 PM
mclintock

You may wanna give HL a call to let them know the mini tele quality is slipping, I know for what they are on sale for you can't expect much, but I got mine on sale too two years ago and all was straight good wood and the rolled plans were great.. Usually manufactured goods improve rather than degrade nowdays.. HL would probably be glad to at least know what's going on..
Old 02-15-2006, 09:43 PM
mylamo
My Feedback: (1)

Mine sure wasn't an ARF but after replacing everything but the ribs
it came out just like the box top. It goes together very fast and flies
very well although grossly overpowered with a .15D.
Ralph
Old 02-15-2006, 10:22 PM
ptulmer

ORIGINAL: build light
.......All the rest are straight pieces without curves, Right?.......
Shoot no. That's part of what's got my dander up. Soak the sticks in windex, place strategic magnets and go do something else for a few minutes. I just realized what the 1/16 sheet is for and it isn't going to be usable either. Good thing I've got a couple hundred bucks worth of balsa! Plenty of variety that way.

Aside from the crappy wood, this IS a good airplane. I do wish it had been engineered for easier building, but hey, it ain't Guillows bad! I'm trying to figure a way to tint the doculam blue. There's probably blue floral spray, but I gotta find it.

Ralph, you made me laugh man. That's EXACTLY how I feel about it right now. With a .15 I bet you have to keep it throttled back, huh?[sm=lol.gif]
Old 02-16-2006, 04:23 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

.......All the rest are straight pieces without curves, Right?.......
Shoot no. That's part of what's got my dander up. Soak the sticks in windex, place strategic magnets and go do something else for a few minutes. I just realized what the 1/16 sheet is for and it isn't going to be usable either. Good thing I've got a couple hundred bucks worth of balsa! Plenty of variety that way.

Aside from the crappy wood, this IS a good airplane. I do wish it had been engineered for easier building, but hey, it ain't Guillows bad! I'm trying to figure a way to tint the doculam blue. There's probably blue floral spray, but I gotta find it.

Ralph, you made me laugh man. That's EXACTLY how I feel about it right now. With a .15 I bet you have to keep it throttled back, huh?[sm=lol.gif]
it aint Guillows bad!..thats funny, I got a Herr rubber powered kit off the bay a while back for I think $20 it has some laser cut parts, just enough to hold the 50 sticks together that came with it! its almost Guillows bad!...I have plenty'o'balsa myself but I'm glad you gave the rest of us a heads up on the Telemaster,,too bad about the quality, you gotta wonder how long some of these kits have been warehoused ..$20 for ribs is kinda high...even if it is yard sale priced...umm transparent blue might get lost kinda easy dont you think (blue yonder and all)??,I still have 2 or 3 of your plans I gotta get ready for racing for me and a flying bud I'm trying to convert to 1/2A...Rog
Old 02-16-2006, 09:31 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm disappointed to read the quality has slipped as well. I bought my mini telemaster on sale for $30 two years ago, and the kit was fine. The plans were fine, and the wood was actually pretty good. I didn't have to replace anything. What do you have to soak in windex and hold with magnets, anyway? The only laminated/bent parts I remember from the build were the fuselage bottom longerons, and I just sprayed those with warm water, pinned them over the plans, and glued the laminations together with titebond. It's a good plane, mine's still going, and has been retrofitted with a Hacker A20(I know, I know, it's not 1/2A[:'(]) and a Nikon 3200 bolted to the starboard side(I call it the Mini Telephoto); matter of fact, I plan on sneaking out at lunch today and doing some aerial recon. of the local snow cover......hope yours starts coming together!
Old 02-16-2006, 09:37 AM
ptulmer

Dark blue! A light coat of krylon may have close to the same effect. (on the bottom this time) So, you're going to race this time? I've seen you fly almost as many times as I've seen Flyswatter fly. [&:]
Old 02-16-2006, 09:51 AM
ptulmer

ORIGINAL: BuzzBomber
The only laminated/bent parts I remember from the build were the fuselage bottom longerons, and I just sprayed those with warm water, pinned them over the plans, and glued the laminations together with titebond.
That's good news. That's as far as I've gotten so far.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:27 PM
build light

Buzz, you asked:
"What do you have to soak in windex and hold with magnets, anyway? The only laminated/bent parts I remember from the build were the fuselage bottom longerons, "

I believe he is wanting to reverse the bending process and straighten that bent wood. At least that is my understanding regarding the windex, soaking and magnets.

Robert
Old 02-17-2006, 02:07 PM
ptulmer

I believe he is wanting to reverse the bending process and straighten that bent wood. At least that is my understanding regarding the windex, soaking and magnets.
Yep, some of that. Mainly because I didn't want to strip a sheet of 1/8" into 1/4" wide strips. My attitude is improving, mainly because the CA I got in my eye has quit bothering me. Here's a picture of progress so far. I'm only able to work on it here and there. It's gonna be a nice looking airplane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67005.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	409993