Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

What accessories?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 04:51 AM
1/2a phil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What accessories?

From this great resource and from help I have received I have decided to go with the Norvel .061, but my LHS only carries a small selection of .049 goodies. So I will be placing a mail order tomorrow and just wondering if I can get some suggestions on what else to place with the order. Just to let everyone know, I have been flying electric for the last couple years, so I have the basics, but not a slightest clue on what glow accessories I will be needing. Here is a list I can think of.

1.Motor mount
2.Fuel line
3.spare glow plugs
4.tool to change glow plug???
5.what prop?
6.how to fill fuel tank? Bought fuel tank from LHS
7.starter spring
8.where to get all the goodies in one place?

Any thing I’m missing?
Thanks
Philip
Old 12-02-2002, 02:24 PM
Dsegal

Be sure to include some bandages and the address of the nearest hospital emergency room! (G) Remember, when it comes to piston engines, as a British modeler once said, "this is a blood sport."

Good Luck,

Dave Segal
Old 12-02-2002, 03:58 PM
1/2a phil

I really don't like the sound of that, maybe I should stick with the known, my electric motors. Even though once(only once) I let my Brushless 010 nick my finger.

Anther thing maybe I need to add to the list, I was reading on this forum, when breaking in a Norvel, to use two head gaskets. I found a sorce for head gaskets yet.

Philip
Old 12-02-2002, 06:34 PM
TomJacoby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Norvel Accessories

Have you looked at the tech info on Norvel's Web site? They recommend the Grish Tornado 5x3 or 6x3 for the .049 and .061. They also have specific instructions and recommendations on fuel and fueling.

http://www.norvel.com/til/TechNote.T002.adp
Old 12-02-2002, 06:53 PM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

Extra head shims come taped to the instruction sheet.

You will also need a Ni-starter. That's the little thing that heats up the glow plug so it will run.
Old 12-02-2002, 07:21 PM
1/2a phil

Thanks everyone for the info, I will get back with "Yall" with the details.

Tom,
I noticed you live in Houston, is there a site where 1/2a is popular? I would love to find a group of people who are also interested in micros.

Philip
Old 12-02-2002, 07:51 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Dsegal
Be sure to include some bandages and the address of the nearest hospital emergency room! (G) Remember, when it comes to piston engines, as a British modeler once said, "this is a blood sport."

Good Luck,

Dave Segal
HA! As a woodworker who stillhas all ten digits, the most damage to my fingers that I have done (scars and stiches, allmost losing a tip) was from the darn 1/2A engines!

Take it from Dave, buy some guaze and tape. And keep the blood off of the transmitter!

Andrew
Old 12-02-2002, 07:52 PM
TomJacoby

Default Houston

Sorry, but I know nothing about the R/C scene in Houston. I have just returned to the sport after an absence of 15 years and have not hooked up with any club.

Most of my R/C flying was done in Saudi Arabia, San Antonio (TX) and Lawton (OK), all prior to 1988.

I have always enjoyed 1/2A, starting with control-line in the '60s.
Attached is an early 80s photo of my 1/2A Scimitar. This thing rolled like it was chucked in an electric drill! It had a TD .049 and three channels (throttle plus elevons), with a kit-built mixer. It was a fantastic flyer in all respects.
Old 12-02-2002, 07:55 PM
TomJacoby

Default Scimitar

Another try on that photo...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	38802_19899.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	24173